SWAMP Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 07:11:26 PM] BillT: temptation over...the mediums are gone

[Yesterday at 07:12:16 PM] bikehard: almost got thos oakley shorts that where on right before the intense

[Yesterday at 07:13:32 PM] BillT: those were nice shorts...but still kinda pricey

[Yesterday at 07:14:11 PM] BillT: nema makes nice shorts along with fox and bellweather

[Yesterday at 07:16:04 PM] bikehard: $40 pricey?

[Yesterday at 07:16:06 PM] bikehard: no way

[Yesterday at 07:16:31 PM] BillT: i hate spending $$$ on biking clothes

[Yesterday at 07:16:42 PM] bikehard: u hate spending money on everything

[Yesterday at 07:16:43 PM] bikehard: lol

[Yesterday at 07:17:20 PM] BillT: only really bike clothes and bike tires

[Yesterday at 07:17:28 PM] BillT: i'll pay for just about everything else

[Yesterday at 07:18:02 PM] BillT: if it is on chainlove, i'd only want to pay $20-30 for them

Advanced search  

News:

SWAMP Forums - Please login and join our community.
Anyone can register here for free and login for access to additional boards and topics.  Look near the top left of this page for the register or login links.  SWAMP mountain bike club members have additional access to trail maps and club business topics.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wildlife  (Read 5344 times)

Find Shelter Roadies

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
  • E = EFFORT / EFFORT = RESULTS!
Re: Wildlife
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2008, 10:44:09 PM »
I will have to add to this not something I think you would see much at least me personaly?
This morning at boyette the trail we got dropped off at im guessing east meadows??? anyways at the entrance of the trail their was a hallowed out turtle shell , I scoped it out real quick an it had around 4 or 5 good sized eggs inside of it.. kinda odd..snake eggs or something???

Could have been snake eggs.  Depending on the snake they lay them in hallowed out sections of trees and burrows, while others bear them live.  There is tegu lizards on the property too, so it could also have been that, but not too likely unless it was a really big shell.  Oval in shape and smaller than a chickens egg?
I heard about those lizards being seen out their. anyone seen them on the trails? I am also guessing they pose no real threat to humans? seems they only crickets, mice etc..???
It was a pretty good size turtle shell nothing crazy large but ya I would say they were a bit smaller than your standard chicken egg

jimn213

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
  • El Enmascarado de Plata
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2008, 12:38:49 PM »
Was riding the Flatwoods loop last Friday afternoon/evening with a roadie friend from work.  She teaches spin classes a few nights a week at the Y, and rides lots of road miles on the weekends, so it's a little bit of torture for me.  Can't get her to try off-road riding tho....

Anyway, we were on our 3rd lap, on the north side of the loop, when we saw a big ole coyote standing right next to the trail, maybe 10-15 away. He(?) stood there looking at us long enough for me to say "holy shizzit, lookit that!", and then trotted off into the scrub inside the loop.  You picture them as skinny, scraggly animals but this one looked pretty damn healthy to me..

I have been riding in this park system for 12 years now and have seen pretty much every kind of indigenous animal there is, but never saw a coyote out there, so it was kind of a treat.

Also saw 3 pygmy rattlers and 2 cottonmouths out on the pavement once the sun started down behind the trees.  Just trying to stay warm....
Ahhhh, it's nice out... I think I'll leave it out!

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Crazed Bunny with allergies to Kool Aid
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2008, 12:53:45 PM »
Ranger Rick told me that they are all over the place. They are just really good at hiding.
"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"

jimn213

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
  • El Enmascarado de Plata
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
Apparently so!
Ahhhh, it's nice out... I think I'll leave it out!

JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Habitual Line Stepper
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2008, 11:12:44 AM »
Ran into an injured snake (not sure what kind it was) in the middle of the Main trail the other day.  Looked like it had been run over by a biker because it couldn't move it just sat there with it's mouth open ready to strike...I poked at it a few times with a ling branch I found on the ground, it ddin't ove so I slung it a yard or so into the woods off the side of the trail.  Figured I would let nature take care of the rest. 

I've seen boar and deer, this was the first snake...wouldn't mind running across a coyote tho!
FrAnKenBiKe V1.0
---------MySpace---------
http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2008, 07:24:15 PM »
Lots of snakes there!!
"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Current Ride: Gary Fisher Cake 2
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2008, 07:52:42 PM »
My son and I saw 2 of the fattest rabbits I have ever seen on Misery the other day. They looked like pets rabbits people let lose ut there since they were multi-colored, not the normal gray you see out there. 
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2008, 11:43:54 PM »
Saw an otter the other day at Boyette. He was running right down the two track straight towards me. That was a real treat. My buddies were dragging ass so they missed it.

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2008, 12:09:19 AM »
Saw an otter the other day at Boyette. He was running right down the two track straight towards me. That was a real treat. My buddies were dragging ass so they missed it.

I saw one of those at Carter last week. First time for me.

JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Habitual Line Stepper
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2008, 09:15:36 AM »
An otter?  That would throw me for a loop...I would NOT expect to see an otter at any of the trails! lol
FrAnKenBiKe V1.0
---------MySpace---------
http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Jonesy

• First Bike
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2008, 10:29:27 AM »
While riding the main trail on xmas afternoon, I saw two large bucks fighting it out. They were 20 yds off the trail in the palmettos. Kept going for what seemed like 5 minutes of antler smashing action. Wish I had a camera along.

BillT

• Allergic to Kool-Aid
  • SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2008, 11:10:41 AM »
I saw an otter at Alafia once.  I missed the one Gregg saw at Carter.

eclark

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2008, 12:32:25 PM »
Jonesy, one of those bucks was actually me, I got into it with a local.  My wife got me a knew buck-like riding outfit for christmas, the helmet even has real horns.  She said it would look nice to ride at Ft Mead, also said to make sure my insurance was paid up.  I wonder if I should be worried.

FLbunEhugR

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2008, 05:41:45 PM »
size of a large dog - it probably was a coyote.  There all over down here now & I see them in Sarasota every time I ride. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 19 queries.