Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: SS at Flatwoods?  (Read 4021 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
SS at Flatwoods?
« on: December 27, 2008, 12:48:10 PM »
I'm planning on meeting so friends over at Flatwoods and I just assumed that I'd take my new SS. I remember a few people saying that Flatwoods is not SS friendly. Can anyone explain why? Would it be due to the occasional long straights where you'd want some gears to be able to haul butt? I'm going with leisure riders so that shouldn't be an issue.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: SS at Flatwoods?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 03:20:46 PM »
I'm planning on meeting so friends over at Flatwoods and I just assumed that I'd take my new SS. I remember a few people saying that Flatwoods is not SS friendly. Can anyone explain why? Would it be due to the occasional long straights where you'd want some gears to be able to haul butt? I'm going with leisure riders so that shouldn't be an issue.

I would think that Flatwoods would be extremely SS friendly.... :-\

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 03:34:23 PM »
Maybe.

Flats sucks on ss since you will be overspinning especially with easier gear combo, but you can use harder combo (32x17 or 32x16 on 29er) and just stand up after you slow down.
More work but more fun.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 07:25:40 PM »
Maybe.

Flats sucks on ss since you will be overspinning especially with easier gear combo, but you can use harder combo (32x17 or 32x16 on 29er) and just stand up after you slow down.
More work but more fun.

I did it once and will never do it again!  Way to much spinning!  I wouldn't attempt it again unless I was running a 32X16.  To answer your question its just a high speed flat trail built to haul butt.  On a SS the odds are way against you from having a good time! 

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:53:28 PM »
Allow me to offer the opinion to counter these nay sayers....

All I ride at Flatwoods is a SS  32x16 (32x17 will be just as fine, anything bigger and it will be a great spin class for the next 25 miles).  Just like everything we ride on any bike Momentum is thy ally.  Keep on top of the gear and you'll be fine, however, panther, indian, gator bait, heartbreak ridge....these trails will require some out of the saddle effort - and with all the roots you wouldnt want to sit down anyways dude.

I have a grand time on my SS there, esepcially when we stop because other folks have the cool spanish moss all up the cassett - happens dang near everyride.  Not any climbs to worry about Flatwoods says it all.  gas up the SS and enjoy the trails that place is about as SS freindly as it gets.  Just my opinion.

At the end of the day ride what you enjoy cause aint that the point?
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 09:25:10 AM »
32x17 and can even do a few 18-22 mph sprints out there.  I even kept up with a roadie group one day at 22-24 on the pavement. LOL.... okay for about 100 yards only but they sure didn't like it.

32x16 okay but if you add Hartbreak, Techno Pig, and specially Panther (2x each) and about 30-50 miles ride and the 32x16 will hurt for a month.  Oh, on a 29er of course.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys! Bike came stock with 32x18 so I ordered 16,17, and 20 tooth (gonna try this one at Alafia) cogs plus the correct tool to change them out.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 04:36:38 PM »

I would think that Flatwoods would be extremely SS friendly.... :-\ 
believe it or not i think the flatter a trail is, the more difficult it is on a single speed. because you are constantly spinning. no breaks. no hard efforts followed by coasting or downhill... its just constant spinning. great for training, but climbing, hard efforts, and blasting down hill are what singlespeeds are all about..
thats my two cents.. a little too late but felt like saying so anyways...-bob 8) 
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 02:14:21 PM »
I'd say Flatwoods is the perfect trail system for a singlespeed.  Unlike a place like Boyette you don't have to try to find a compromise on gearing that will either spinning too fast on the flats or struggling up climbs. 

I run 32x18 gearing on my 29er.  It is perfect for Boyette, Carter, or Alafia but it can get a bit rough trying to keep up on the straight flat parts.  Works nicely for Flatwoods if you want a more casual pace. 

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
I'd say Flatwoods is the perfect trail system for a singlespeed.  Unlike a place like Boyette you don't have to try to find a compromise on gearing that will either spinning too fast on the flats or struggling up climbs. 

I run 32x18 gearing on my 29er.  It is perfect for Boyette, Carter, or Alafia but it can get a bit rough trying to keep up on the straight flat parts.  Works nicely for Flatwoods if you want a more casual pace.

yeah thats the same ratio i'm running. i don't disagree that flatwoods isn't a bad trail for single speeds, but the more challenging the trail is, the more fun single speeds truly are. grinding up climbs and all that jazz...

but 32x18 is a good gear for everything here. you can get away with a 16 or 17 at flatwoods.. but i really wouldn't go any higher than that for any of the trails around here. even santos and carter are ok on an 18. some of the climbs you have to muscle but they're all very doable..
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 08:52:06 AM »
Cat, I loved my ss @ Flatwoods/Morris Bridge ( 26" with 32x16) for about 6 months, it's all about speed.

But, after six months I started to hate the hardtail part of ss life, so I sold it and went back to the Moment with it's 6" travel.

I've ridden a 22 LB 29' ss there and yes the 29" wheels take the edge off of the millions of bumps but it still was not as much fun as the Moment is.

I may do the ss thing again if I can find one of those 3" travel dual suspension Kona frames to build up.

PS... Why you avoiding doing Flatwoods with the Cummins guys and your fellow
Kitty genset employee?

Let me know when you plan to be there next.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 04:10:02 PM »
yeah thats the same ratio i'm running. i don't disagree that flatwoods isn't a bad trail for single speeds, but the more challenging the trail is, the more fun single speeds truly are. grinding up climbs and all that jazz...

but 32x18 is a good gear for everything here. you can get away with a 16 or 17 at flatwoods.. but i really wouldn't go any higher than that for any of the trails around here. even santos and carter are ok on an 18. some of the climbs you have to muscle but they're all very doable..

True.  We all got smoked by a dude running a 32x16 Monocog at Flatwoods a few months back.  He seemed to have some issues getting through some of the slower paced super rooty parts, but other than that he dropped all of us pretty hard. 

I'm trying out a 20t Tomicog at Flatwoods this weekend (borrowed it to see how I like fixed gear trail riding).  If I like running fixed gear the next gearing change I make will be a 17t Tomicog and still run my 18t on the freewheel side. 

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 04:21:21 PM »

True.  We all got smoked by a dude running a 32x16 Monocog at Flatwoods a few months back.  He seemed to have some issues getting through some of the slower paced super rooty parts, but other than that he dropped all of us pretty hard. 

I'm trying out a 20t Tomicog at Flatwoods this weekend (borrowed it to see how I like fixed gear trail riding).  If I like running fixed gear the next gearing change I make will be a 17t Tomicog and still run my 18t on the freewheel side.

DO IT!

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 04:29:52 PM »
I can tell you my wife isn't too thrilled when she realized I removed the rear brake as part of my fixed gear experiment.  lol

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 04:34:59 PM »
I can tell you my wife isn't too thrilled when she realized I removed the rear brake as part of my fixed gear experiment.  lol

LOL, tell her not to worry...there are bigger dangers when riding fixie then being able to stop the rear wheel... If you ever need any off road tips, shoot!

Advertisement: