Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Myakka?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Myakka?
« on: December 28, 2008, 09:57:02 AM »
Hey folks,

Question:  I may have to move from my premium location near Croom to the Sarasota area -- based on what I'm reading in the various threads, there isn't much quality riding in that area.  Does Myakka River State park offer anything at all?  Seems large, and is fairly close to Sarasota, so I figured I'd at least ask...;-)

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Myakka?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:48:03 AM »
Myakka has a little bit (5 miles or so) of double track road that you can ride when its dry - during the summer it's mostly under water.  While there are lots of other roads - they're all too sandy to ride on.  There are a number of hiking trails  - but that's all off limits to bikes.  As you've probably seen from the other posts - Carlton Reserve near Venice & south of Myakka has a lot of rideable double track.  Otherwise - best bet is to drive up to Boyette Alafia.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:05:22 AM »
Myakka has a little bit (5 miles or so) of double track road that you can ride when its dry - during the summer it's mostly under water.  While there are lots of other roads - they're all too sandy to ride on.  There are a number of hiking trails  - but that's all off limits to bikes.  As you've probably seen from the other posts - Carlton Reserve near Venice & south of Myakka has a lot of rideable double track.  Otherwise - best bet is to drive up to Boyette Alafia.
I was afraid you were going to say that.  I guess Alafia/Boyette is about an hours drive from Sarasota?

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:36:05 AM »
An hour is about right for Boyette and Alafia. The only other option in Sarasota is the Celery Fields which is east of I-75 between Fruitville and Bee Ridge. It offers some good climbs that is single track but it is very short. Also you have the North Port trails to the south. They are a little sketchy but at least there is single track. 
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »
There is some riding available at Oscar Scherer state park also besides being a very nice park

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 06:11:29 PM »
An hour is about right for Boyette and Alafia. The only other option in Sarasota is the Celery Fields which is east of I-75 between Fruitville and Bee Ridge. It offers some good climbs that is single track but it is very short. Also you have the North Port trails to the south. They are a little sketchy but at least there is single track. 
How long does it take to ride the Celery Fields loop?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 07:23:14 PM »

The northport trails are ok, if you don't feel like driving north. There are around 12 miles or so and there are some free ride stuff there too. You ride along the edge of the Myahatchee creek and there are some points that are a bit hairy. It beats the road.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 08:07:47 PM »
How long does it take to ride the Celery Fields loop?

You can probably ride all sections in less than 30 minutes. I usually try to ride for about 45 mins to an hour. I just ride some of the sections more than once. There is absolutly zero flow there. But apparently it will soon be added on too and will be somewhat bigger.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 09:53:14 PM »
Thanks guys.  Good info.  I like Sarasota for a lot of reasons, but it looks like I'll have to save the best rides for the weekend and do tune-up rides at the celery fields during the week.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 07:56:46 AM »
That's my routine.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 09:27:26 PM »
That's my routine.

When are you planning to come up this way? It has been a while.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 07:24:18 AM »
That's my routine.

When are you planning to come up this way? It has been a while.

I was at Boyette last Saturday but Jim said you went to Carter. I've been riding somewhere each weekend usually Boyette and Santos. But I sent my shock away to be rebuilt last week so I'm out of commission for a couple of weeks. (Except for the road bike)

Offline Camf

• First Bike
  • Heroes are overrated
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »
Try to check out North Port Trails if you get the chance. They have a lot to offer in the way of some technical riding and the scenery isn't bad either!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 06:37:29 PM »
Try to check out North Port Trails if you get the chance. They have a lot to offer in the way of some technical riding and the scenery isn't bad either!

Watch out for the Alligators! ;D

Advertisement: