Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Croom 1/2/09  (Read 2087 times)

Offline username

• First Bike
Croom 1/2/09
« on: December 29, 2008, 09:37:25 PM »
Hello people that know more about biking than me. I'm new to the forum, fairly new to off-road biking. Looking for advice for a Croom ride on Friday 1/2. I've been out there about 6 times, but it's been over a year since my last visit. I usually park at Tucker Hill and head towards the clay pit. Well, that's where I usually end up. I can't say I specifically aim for that location, but the trail leading up to the clay pit is right up my alley. I feel that if I head North from that location I end up with miles of soft sand and palmetos. I like the fast canopied sections with camel backs. Any suggestions of where to ride based on the best conditions of the trail. I'd like to avoid sand, but I know that's close to impossible. I'm actually hoping for rain on Wed or Thurs. And I've had my fill of tight, technical areas at Hills River State Parks.

I'd give myself about a 4 or 5 on the skill ranking, so please don't recommend anything like the black diamonds at Alafia.

Any help or updates on trail conditions is much appreciated. If you happen to be riding Friday afternoon and see two guys that look like they just dusted off their bikes, feel free to stop and say hi.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Croom 1/2/09
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 09:17:51 AM »
User, if you can do 14 or 8 miles, do the entire yellow trail.  The amount of sand you find on from wher eyou leave the yellow trail to the red to hit the red clay pit is about the same or worse you will find on the entire yellow loop.  When you head south on yellow there is a y intersection right after a sandy fire road.  You are taking the right side (red) trail to get to the red clay pit.  Take the left trail (yellow) and follow the yellow loop.  On the north side, you will get to a split where it says 8 mile bail out green trail.  If you take that green trail, you will end up with 8 mile round trip back to Tucker.  if you don't, you will do the entire yellow for about 14 miles.  If you get to the section on the north east yellow, you will see another red trail.  There are maps on that spot.  That red trail takes you over to the north blue for miles and miles.  If you not ready for those, gives you something to look forward to.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 11:44:17 AM »
I agree with Sandpine -- the yellow loop is an excellent start, and I'd say the 8-mile bailout is also a good suggestion.  Very nice cross country trail, and a lot less sand and dirt-bike damage to contend with than the reds/blues.

Offline username

• First Bike
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 09:05:27 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Yellow it is. I think I can hammer out 14 miles. I just need to watch for yellow signs. Usually it's too late when I find myself on red, green or blue and just decide to keep going.
Happy riding in 2009.

Advertisement: