Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Close call tonight!  (Read 1705 times)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Close call tonight!
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:35:01 PM »
Was doing a night ride a Carter with some buddies. I was out front because I'm fat and slow and that way they can't leave me behind. ;) Anyway, we get to Horseshoe and I had just switched my handlebar light on (Niterider Tri-newt, it is awesome!) as I had been playing with a little commuter light to see how bright it was. Anyway, we are going into Horseshoe on the ridge and there is a turn with a good size palm tree, I hook the corner and there is a 6-7ft 'gator laying with it's head on the trail! We were cruising pretty good (there is a small downhill right there) all I had time to do was holler ALLIGATOR! and grab some brake knowing I couldn't stop. At about 18 inches the gator decided to get the heck out of dodge and went the other way. Major addrenaline rush! Not as close as my nose wheely over one, but this guy was alot bigger!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

naked indian

Re: Close call tonight!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 05:17:08 AM »
Was doing a night ride a Carter with some buddies. I was out front because I'm fat and slow and that way they can't leave me behind. ;) Anyway, we get to Horseshoe and I had just switched my handlebar light on (Niterider Tri-newt, it is awesome!) as I had been playing with a little commuter light to see how bright it was. Anyway, we are going into Horseshoe on the ridge and there is a turn with a good size palm tree, I hook the corner and there is a 6-7ft 'gator laying with it's head on the trail! We were cruising pretty good (there is a small downhill right there) all I had time to do was holler ALLIGATOR! and grab some brake knowing I couldn't stop. At about 18 inches the gator decided to get the heck out of dodge and went the other way. Major addrenaline rush! Not as close as my nose wheely over one, but this guy was alot bigger!

crazy. How often are gators on the trail out there.

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 07:22:56 AM »
Yes, them gators!!! They do add another type of obstacle which makes Florida riding exciting. Almost ran over one at North Creek Trail at Alafia. I stopped within inches of one when I realized that it wasnt a green log on the trail. He was covered in duckweed and almost completely blended in with the trail. Been to carter a few times and haven seen one there but imagine alot could be on the trails that run close to the water.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 07:33:22 AM »
I've seen them on the side of the trail alot, but this is the first one at Carter I've found on the trail. My other encounters have happened at Alafia.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 07:40:45 AM »
lol, thats awsome. I just about ran over one on cruddy buddy a few months ago. just be glad you didn't run into BIG MAMMA!!! think shes sittin about 12-14 feet long now.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 07:45:37 AM »
I used to run into one on Sneaky Snake quite often.  After you drop down into Sneaky, make the left, and then go over the first little hill, he used to sit at the bottom of the backside of that hill.  He was there so regularly that I'd look for him while on Snake Ridge approaching the entrance to Sneaky.  He was about 5-6 feet and would always slide into the water before I came too close.

I've never seen Big Mamma out of the water and hope that I never do.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 07:56:54 AM »
Big kid like you and a diesel mechanic to boot and a little gator made you nervous?  I can't believe that.  I bet if Ed was in the lead he would have a nice new pair of alligator workboots.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 07:57:17 AM »
lol, thats awsome. I just about ran over one on cruddy buddy a few months ago. just be glad you didn't run into BIG MAMMA!!! think shes sittin about 12-14 feet long now.

I'm gonna take my camera out one weekday when I am off. I know where she likes to lay and sun on these cooler days, just a matter of right time/place. We've seen her a few times when riding, naturally never had my camera at the time.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 08:26:01 AM »
Shameless promotion of the Niterider Tri-newt. ::)  You could have come up with a better story than that.  A naked woman in the middle of the trail would have been MUCH more interesting.  We've all heard alligator stories.  Hell, it was probably just a lil ole baby lizard.  :D

All kidding aside, that's why you're out front.  To clear the obstacles...lol.

Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 02:22:27 PM »
One day 9-10 years ago I was riding towards Flatwoods from the Morris Bridge trails and crossed over the Hillsborough River.  When I got over the bridge I hopped the guardrail and dropped into the trail right next to the river (that takes you to the 1800 trail).  The trail splits down there, so I went left and when I got near that real low spot right next to the river, there was a HUGE alligator coming up out of the water.  Very exciting :o   
I don't think I even stopped; just banged a U-turn in the brush and crap and took off down the other piece of trail. 

I never saw another one there but to this day, when I ride through there I always call out to anyone with me to "Watch for gators!"
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 09:21:10 PM »

That sounds freaking cool!!!!! ;D

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 09:25:57 PM »
Night riding is the shiznit, don't you know?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »
Night riding is the shiznit, don't you know?

Like...Totally!! ;)

Advertisement: