Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: SST  (Read 3743 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
SST
« on: December 30, 2008, 09:48:23 AM »
I've been told via this forum that there is pretty much no chance of us being able to drive our cars out to the trailhead. Seems like there were concerns about dumping, hunting, and being overun with 4x4 mud bogging trucks. So having said that, are there any future plans on the books for expanding SST so that it takes you from the parking lot straight to the trailhead? Why was SST built so short to begin with? Just asking because every newbie I've taken to Boyette liked the trails but pretty much hated the long two track entrance/exit & connectors to the point of not wanting to come back. In defense of said cry babies  :'(, there was some legitimate concern about getting hurt or having a break down way out there and not being able to limp all the way out (cell phone signal is hit and miss) I used to feel the same way but have recently warmed up to Boyette to the point that I prefer it for after work rides. Please note that I said I like Boyette now.....no hate mail please.

Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: SST
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 10:04:29 AM »
Having broken down way out there I sorta appreciate the two track which cuts out having to walk miles of uneccessary trail 8) when walking out  :'(

No hate - I don't believe that to be in the plans for Boyette regarding the extension of SST
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Luis

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 10:08:10 AM »
I've always liked the 2 mile warm up very much... ???

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 10:12:48 AM »
Two track option would still be there of course. I would imagine SST would run parallel to it with a few bail outs here and there.

Still have a two mile warm up but it would be on flatwoods style single track.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 10:27:57 AM »
Great question!  The front portion of the property is a sensitive area .  Because of this, all the trails were built in non sensitive areas.  Suffice it to say the 2 mile warm up will not go away anytime soon.  Gary is the one who can expand on this topic.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 10:53:05 AM »
SST was originally built to avoid the sandy two-track that runs parallel to it.  It exits, heading out, near that big open field - bordering that under the trees is a sensitive area they do not want bikes on, so it pops back out on the two-track to continue to the rest of the trails.  Most people treat that as a warm up ride.  Some find it a good opportunity to use their big ring.  ;D Others use it as an opportunity to spy a bald eagle in the distance, or an assortment of other birds not often seen.  Guess people just make it what is to them.  Remember the days when there were no cell phones?  Plan your excursions accordingly. Have tools on hand to do trail side repairs so your "limp" out is not so bad.  I've been on some mountain trails ever so grateful no serious mechanical happened that would mean I would have to walk 10 or 12 miles back to the truck.  If it did happen, I think I carry enough stuff to improvise a way to ride back in some fashion or another.  If Balm-Boyette Nature Preserve was not a Nature Preserve we could set up the trails however we wish, but rulz are rulz.  ;)  So, treat the trails - two track connectors as well, which we have tried to keep to a minimum - as the whole trail system and enjoy that we get close to 25 miles of riding in the woods.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 10:59:34 AM »
I think the 2 mile warm up is nice.  It's the 2 miles back that sucks.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 12:12:25 PM »

Put it in the big ring and pedal harder. Goes pretty fast that way. ;)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 01:25:56 PM »
I also like the fact that the majority of the riding is 2 miles from the lot. It gives the illusion that I'm really away from civilization. It's the closest I can get to recreating rides in the high country.  :)
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 01:35:02 PM »

What is a big ring? Where does that go? I am going to google it. hehe ;D
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 01:47:26 PM »
I m glad that Boyette is a preserve and enjoy riding, as well as enjoying the scenic views, and wildlife.  Plus the added bonus of getting away from the stress of everyday life.  I would hate to see it chopped up into trails going everywhere like Flatwoods.  Boyette is what it is, and if your in the mood for a quick hop on the trails we are lucky to have Alafia right down the street.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 02:08:37 PM »
I totally understand now. Didn't give much thought to the fact that this is a "Nature Preserve" before now.

To highjack my own post...what kind of tooling do you guys carry in your pack? I'm thinking I'm fairly well prepared for the worst but could always use some new ideas.

I keep:
26in x 2 tube one 29in plus pump, tire spoons, patch kit, tire boot
Loose allen key set and folding (knife) type x2 (one has screwdrivers on it instead of smallest allen keys)
Top Peak multi-tool
Zip ties
Torx wrench for rotor bolts (saved the day in Georgia and most importantly impressed fellow riders)
Chainring nut wrench (works on derailleur hanger as well)
Chain master pins a few new links and a chain breaking tool
Small adjustable wrench (Cresent)
Shock pump
Derailleur hanger and mounting hardware
Leatherman pliers (to pick the damn moss out of my cassette & brakes!)

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »

Big Ring?  I never use it...lol.  Except Sunday when somehow or another I got into it on Gatorback.  No wonder I was struggling.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 02:18:33 PM »

Big Ring?  I never use it...lol.  Except Sunday when somehow or another I got into it on Gatorback.  No wonder I was struggling.

I think I lost mine somewhere...lol
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Tools to carry
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 02:20:50 PM »
I totally understand now. Didn't give much thought to the fact that this is a "Nature Preserve" before now.

To highjack my own post...what kind of tooling do you guys carry in your pack? I'm thinking I'm fairly well prepared for the worst but could always use some new ideas.

I keep:
26in x 2 tube one 29in plus pump, tire spoons, patch kit, tire boot
Loose allen key set and folding (knife) type x2 (one has screwdrivers on it instead of smallest allen keys)
Top Peak multi-tool
Zip ties
Torx wrench for rotor bolts (saved the day in Georgia and most importantly impressed fellow riders)
Chainring nut wrench (works on derailleur hanger as well)
Chain master pins a few new links and a chain breaking tool
Small adjustable wrench (Cresent)
Shock pump
Derailleur hanger and mounting hardware
Leatherman pliers (to pick the damn moss out of my cassette & brakes!)

+
seat post bolt and nut (it's the things you don't think of till it happens)
Duct tape an inch wide wrapped around a broken pencil (only cuz the size works great)
spoke wrench
10mm wrench
small container chain lube

Advertisement: