Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: going partial SS?  (Read 3529 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
going partial SS?
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:49:35 PM »
thinking about getting rid of my front derailer in the future cause I never use anything but the middle ring, plus I wouldn't mind getting rid of the left shifter. I've been having alot of issues with it lately and would rather just eliminate it. So what are the pros and cons? and what equipment would I need?

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: going partial SS?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 01:06:16 PM »
forgot to mention its a specialized hardrock.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 01:09:56 PM »
you'll need to keep the front D or run some kind of chain guide on the front otherwise when you hit some bumps it'll throw the chain off the front.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 01:12:46 PM »
What SFG said...maybe look into one of these - http://www.e13components.com/product_ls1.html
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 01:18:51 PM »
That's how the Frankenbike is set up right now.  I've considered fixing it but don't really see a reason to.  They just set the front deraileur and removed the cable.  Never have a problem with it.
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 01:21:12 PM »
I second that. Ran my bike without a front derailleur for a few months and it fairly regularly fell down to the small chainring. You can buy a single speed crankset or I'm thinking they make spacers for the middle ring that allow you to achieve proper chainline. Chain will still fall off sometimes when the chain goes slack so a tensioner will be necessary. Find a picture of a downhill bike and you'll see the tensioner I'm speaking of.

Keep in mind you'll want those front gears for out of state riding.

I think your frame's bottom bracket has to be set up with mounting bolt holes in order to run one of those downhill style tensioners that BillT posted.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 01:25:01 PM by catman »
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 01:37:49 PM »
ISCG 05' adapter to BB mount solves that problem. E.13 LG1 is the best and most light weight chain guide.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 01:49:22 PM »
I'm running an LG-1 on my Intense right now and it works great...no dropped chains, minimal noise, easy to adjust.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »
I'm looking at the parts online, and it seems for some reason its more expensive to switch to a single chain rinf then to upgrade the front derailer and ring set. this seems backwards to me, but I guess I'll be sticking to 24 speeds for now.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 04:50:52 AM »
why? when you go to the mountains you will need the small and on fast double track you should need the big ring. If you dont now you will sometime.

Luis

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 08:34:13 AM »
why? when you go to the mountains you will need the small and on fast double track you should need the big ring. If you dont now you will sometime.

need? want...maybe.

silent there's a huge 1 x 9 thread on mtbr, do a search there...

you need something to keep the chain from falling off.  People have been succesful with a bashguard and an N Gear Jumpstop.  Running a short or medium cage rear derailleur is recommended.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 11:29:46 PM »
ok dumb question, but if a bashguard holds the chain one way why not just put 2 bashgaurds on, one on each side? or I can simply replace the smaller gear with a bashguard and let the big gear stay in place, then I could remove the derailer and shifter and be 1x9.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 12:20:09 AM »
you still need something to keep tension on the chain and to keep it on the front chainring. Two bashgaurds may work, but I doubt it.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 07:14:30 AM »
if you need a chain guide why not put a gear on it? seems silly...

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 07:51:41 AM »
you still need something to keep tension on the chain and to keep it on the front chainring.

the tension would still be on it from the rear derailer the inner bashguard would just do a better job of keeping it in place then the front derailer does, I'm just tired of it jumping down to the small gear when I'm trying to climb. and if I get rid of the left shifter then I can put my remote lockout where I can really reach it.

Advertisement: