Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Cruising Craiglist  (Read 2292 times)

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
Cruising Craiglist
« on: December 30, 2008, 08:07:41 PM »
Found this...dunno what to think of it.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/974964132.html
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: Cruising Craiglist
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 08:19:11 PM »
Your bike is better. That bike has a super cheesy fork, wheels and brakes. Keep looking for sure.

By the way, some manufactures have archives so you can research older bikes. This is a 2006 bottom of the line Specialized.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2006&spid=21689
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 08:22:07 PM by catman »
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 08:19:50 PM »
rst fork, no disk brakes...........price seems about right, but why would you want it when you got the frankenbike?

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 08:22:45 PM »
rst fork, no disk brakes...........price seems about right, but why would you want it when you got the frankenbike?

I was just curious as to its worth.  I mean if I found an Intense for $150 I would be a retard not to buy it.  It was a Specialized which I know is good, but didn't know if it was a diamond in the ruff or just plain rough.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 08:35:06 PM »
I would say keep your eyes open, but keep learning on the Frankenbike. Some of the components on your bike are far better than some of the mid-level brand new bikes. The next bike you get should be something that you view as an investment more than just a bargain. I only buy things that I see as an investment for the long term, thereby justifying the larger initial cost that pays off in the long term.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 09:05:03 PM »
Found this...dunno what to think of it.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/974964132.html

That's a good frame, but like Cat says you have a way better set up with your Frankenbike.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 09:06:46 PM »
Probably a little discouraged by the fact that some of your bike parts of falling off? Same things happen to me and my buddies much higher end bikes. It's the name of the game. If I had a dollar for every time I had to call all the lbs's looking for that replacement part I need for tomorrows ride I'd be rich. I know it sucks but gives you the chance to learn about the parts that make up your bike and will help later when you want to do your own frame up build. As you've already figured out there is no such thing as a super easy online order (how many seatpost sizes are there for God's sake?) so a minimal knowledge of bikes is necessary unless you just have the lbs check it over/fix it once a month. You've also found out the hard way that you have to retighten everything after the initial build. That is why bike shops usually give away the first tune up on a new bike purchase. Once you fully commit to this sport you may want to keep a spare bike hanging in the garage. Seems like a lot of guys keep a full suspension and a hardtail to avoid any down time. You can always pick up a older name brand bike for $100-$200 via Craigslist,tear it down, lube everything, reassemble and hang it in the garage for those days that your seatpost trys to ruin your sex life.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 11:25:17 PM »
Probably a little discouraged by the fact that some of your bike parts of falling off? Same things happen to me and my buddies much higher end bikes. It's the name of the game. If I had a dollar for every time I had to call all the lbs's looking for that replacement part I need for tomorrows ride I'd be rich. I know it sucks but gives you the chance to learn about the parts that make up your bike and will help later when you want to do your own frame up build. As you've already figured out there is no such thing as a super easy online order (how many seatpost sizes are there for God's sake?) so a minimal knowledge of bikes is necessary unless you just have the lbs check it over/fix it once a month. You've also found out the hard way that you have to retighten everything after the initial build. That is why bike shops usually give away the first tune up on a new bike purchase. Once you fully commit to this sport you may want to keep a spare bike hanging in the garage. Seems like a lot of guys keep a full suspension and a hardtail to avoid any down time. You can always pick up a older name brand bike for $100-$200 via Craigslist,tear it down, lube everything, reassemble and hang it in the garage for those days that your seatpost trys to ruin your sex life.

No, not discouraged.  I never expected things to last forever.  Like you said it is good to have something extra around for parts or as a downtime bike. 

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 06:59:31 AM »
why not just use the $150 to buy a new crank, BB, and seat post? then you'll still have a pimp bike with newer parts. like the guys said it's a never ending saga. I bought my bike for $600 (specialized hardrock) like 8 months ago and have killed my rear hub twice ( now upgraded rear wheel to shimano/mavic) and blew that cheap suntour fork twice (switched it out for a dart 3 with poplock). I'm having issues with my rear brakes and derailers, and my whole drive train is noisy. My point is as long as you use it you will be having to work on it :(

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 10:22:42 AM »
why not just use the $150 to buy a new crank, BB, and seat post? then you'll still have a pimp bike with newer parts. like the guys said it's a never ending saga. I bought my bike for $600 (specialized hardrock) like 8 months ago and have killed my rear hub twice ( now upgraded rear wheel to shimano/mavic) and blew that cheap suntour fork twice (switched it out for a dart 3 with poplock). I'm having issues with my rear brakes and derailers, and my whole drive train is noisy. My point is as long as you use it you will be having to work on it :(

Thats probably the route  I will take.  This advice is why I ask these questions, so I can make a wise choice in how i spend my money.  You guys rawk!

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »
Another gems I found today:

07 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc:
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/bik/975713266.html

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
quit looking man you already have a decent bike. the bike in the ad is basically what I bought, I'll tell you right off the bat you'll need to replace the fork, and then very soon after you'll need a new crank, BB, atleast a new rear wheel if not both, new shifters and brake levers, and new derailers. and thats if you bought it new!!! only after all that would it be a decent bike. stick with the frankenbike and just keep upgrading components.
I'll tell you that if I had to do it all again I'd build my own (kinda what they did for you) using a build kit off price point or something rather then buy a bike from the shop again.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »
Whoa whoa, simmer down!  I'm not looking to buy anything...I am just cruising through because I am bored at work.  I already got the info I needed with the original post.  And I am taking everyones advice and holding off.  I just put that there for everyone to see...you never know..maybe someone has a friend who could use a starter bike or something.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 05:58:01 PM »
I look at those ads almost everyday, it is amazing how many people try to sell an old beater for more than it was new.  That rockhopper looks nice, but I still think it is overpriced for a used bike that was only $700-800 brandy new.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 07:24:11 PM »
That rockhopper looks nice, but I still think it is overpriced for a used bike that was only $700-800 brandy new.

I think its not a rock hopper it's a hardrock, same as I have and brand new was $600, the only thing on it that is decent is the frame. Can you tell I'm dissatisfied with my purchase? >:(

Whoa whoa, simmer down!  I'm not looking to buy anything...I am just cruising through because I am bored at work.  I already got the info I needed with the original post.  And I am taking everyones advice and holding off.  I just put that there for everyone to see...you never know..maybe someone has a friend who could use a starter bike or something.

I'm not getting on you, I'm just saying your bike that you got for free has better components on it then most newer bikes you can get for under 1k, many of us would have killed for that opportunity. you may have issues, but atleast you know what they are since you've been riding, you never know what your getting when you buy used.

Advertisement: