Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Can't find Canyon  (Read 2220 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Can't find Canyon
« on: January 02, 2009, 11:12:23 PM »
I went out to Boyette late this afternoon and decided to ride trails I've never been on or that I haven't ridden in a very long time. Saw Mt. Boyette and Canyon on the map so I hung a left at the entrance to North Abyss and rode the two track to Mt. Boyette (or what I think was Mt. Boyette). Nice downhill followed by wide grass path.I saw the sign for Mt. Boyette when I exited so I assume I was on the two track that is shown on the map and not the single track (Canyon). I went back to see If I could find Canyon but wasn't able to. It was getting dark so I just gave up and headed back to the parking lot. So am I blind or something?
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Can't find Canyon
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 11:25:34 PM »
Sorry about that.  We had some major set backs on the timing of building that trail and the map was finished and released before the trail ever got started.  It was intended to be the other way around of course. A year later we are going to finally get started on it over the next week or so.  A bunch of volunteers would make it happen faster...hint, hint hint.  ;-)  By the time the Fat Tire Fest rolls around again everything should be finished, complete, and nicely packed in.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:33:45 PM »
Well at least I packed down Mt. Boyette by going back and forth looking for the Canyon that doesn't exist.
It was good though because now I know about the North Abyss bypass for when newbies come with. You should have seen me, I had the map turned every which way trying to figure out where the heck Canyon was. Good thing no body rolled up on me when I was talking to myself.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:48:04 PM »
HAHA...That levy ride bypass of North Abyss is pretty cool first thing in the morning because you see deer, eagle, and other assorted critters you don't usually see riding the park.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 11:20:56 AM »
Has Canyon been completed yet?
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 04:09:54 PM »
Has Canyon been completed yet?

Only the half we worked on.  It needs the three switchback turns reworked and that narrow spot at the first tree needs to be shored up.  The lumber for that is there for the next workday.  Tuesday we will be working on Garry's Loop - leaving the parking lot just before 9:00a.m. and working all day til 3:00. 

Once we have done everything that trail needs we will move to Canyon.  With enough volunteers (4 or 5 so far and we could use more) we can make pretty quick work of it.  Thursday, at the same time frame, we will do it again.  Saturday is the workday for Croom and Bob likely needs help out there getting prepared for the Croom 50.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:40:25 AM »
Garry, I mentioned to you I was going to try to make this Tuesday workday.  I found at last night my real job is going to need me.  Wooohooo, paying work.  Sorry man.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 10:20:46 AM »
That's cool Eric - maybe next time.  We still have a handful more workdays to finalize this final phase of trails at Boyette.  Maybe less if a BUNCH of people help out.  hint-hint    ::)

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 01:05:34 PM »
Dude, I will definitely make it out to one soon, I just got the opportunity to get paid at real work this time.  Art gave me a trail crew shirt on friday, so now I want to wear it alot.

Advertisement: