Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Best bang-for-the-buck "assembly line" wheelsets  (Read 5309 times)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Best bang-for-the-buck "assembly line" wheelsets
« on: January 04, 2009, 03:28:06 PM »
In a few months I'll be looking to purchase a new set of wheels.  I'm really leaning towards the new Crank Brother Cobalt wheels, but they are new and relatively untested in the real world compared to other options out there.  I'm also looking at leftover 2008 XTR wheelsets.  Both the Cobalts and the '08 XTR wheelsets can be had on Ebay for under $900 (saw a couple new XTR sets for under $700). 

Looking to buy an off-the-shelf wheel that is both light and strong.  I weigh in at 200lbs, so unfortunately there are a few options out there that won't work for me (i.e. the new Stans race wheels are weight sensitive).  What others should I be researching? 

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Best bang-for-the-buck "assembly line" wheelsets
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 03:35:06 PM »
Anything wrong with going with a set of custom built wheels?  At the price point you are looking at, you could have a nice set of Chris King hubs laced to whatever rims you want and have change left over for a new bling cassette and fancy hollow-pin chain.  Chad @ www.redbarnbicycles.com builds a very nice wheel and his prices are excellent.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
I love my Chris Kings.  Aj's built them with Stans Arch Rims and they are a very stiff and fairly light weight wheel set.  The I9s rock too. The only down side are the spokes.  At 6 dollars a pop they are ecpensive to replace; though a new set does come with 6 spares.  For the buck I'd go with Chris Kings and stans or mavic rims.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 03:50:22 PM »
for that price get kings with stans (or your favorite rims) custom built

Anthem1

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 03:53:23 PM »
Check out the new Hope hoops pro 3 wheel sets. I just ordered a set from Wiggle in the U.K. for $425 shipped :o These are custom built wheels using the new Hope pro 3 disc hubs, DT Swiss 4.2d rims and 32 straight pull DT Swiss Super Comp spokes. State side I'm guessing you will add a couple hundred $ to that price. These hubs are the same internally as the Pro 2's but externally the flanges have been replaced by a CNC'd straight pull flange resulting in a very stiff wheel :)

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 04:03:51 PM »
Hope stuff is so pretty.

Anthem1

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 04:26:39 PM »
You want bang for the buck? Check out the Hope Hoops Pro 2 set up from Chain reaction cycles inthe U.K. Hope pro 2 hubs on DT Swiss 4.2d hoops and DT Swiss Comp spokes $325 shipped :o

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 04:30:52 PM »
If you want quick engagement don't get the Hopes - they look good but are not Kings (their big brother) no matter how bad they want to be

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 04:38:21 PM »
Hadley hubs are another high quality option and you can go cheap on the front hub as all it needs to do is spin.

Anthem1

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 04:44:51 PM »
While it is true that the King hub's engagement is quicker it comes at a cost, weight. The Hope rear hub is 285 grams, the King is a PORTLY 336 grams. If I was looking for an all mountain hub then yes, I would get the King but Alan said he wanted a light and durable setup, that would be a Hope.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 05:05:09 PM »
While it is true that the King hub's engagement is quicker it comes at a cost, weight. The Hope rear hub is 285 grams, the King is a PORTLY 336 grams. If I was looking for an all mountain hub then yes, I would get the King but Alan said he wanted a light and durable setup, that would be a Hope.

owned Hope hubs - they failed

owned King hubs - work - I am on my 3rd set of wheels that I built from the same hubs - there is a reason there are so many people that ride choose King.

it is easy to shave weight be making the parts cheaper...hubs are too important ro worry about a few grams here and there

ask somebody that has owned both...not just read about them

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 05:08:26 PM »
Do you think Hope's would last 10 years?  My King's have :)

Though I do believe I need a new cassette carrier and while I'm at it, I"m going to upgrade to their heavy duty axle/bolt-on rear setup.

Per Speedgoat's website (they weigh everything themselves), there's virtually no difference in weight between rear King disc hub and Hope Pro2 - 306g (http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=15853&cat=38&brand=49) vs 298g (http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=114905&cat=38&brand=110).  That said, the King is almost twice the cost of the Hope.  For a truely lightweight rear hub look into the DT-Swiss 190 or 240 rear hub, but I think those things are grenades waiting to go off.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:15:14 PM by BillT »

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 06:17:31 PM »
If you want quick engagement don't get the Hopes - they look good but are not Kings (their big brother) no matter how bad they want to be

You want quick engagement go with I9's they are the best in the industry. You can not go wrong with Chris Kings either. Kings have the advantage in rep, because of length of time in the market. They also have the advantage because they can be laced into any wheel with spokes that can be sourced from anyplace (pretty much). The I9's are just so cool 8).

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 06:44:40 PM »

You want quick engagement go with I9's they are the best in the industry. You can not go wrong with Chris Kings either. Kings have the advantage in rep, because of length of time in the market. They also have the advantage because they can be laced into any wheel with spokes that can be sourced from anyplace (pretty much). The I9's are just so cool 8).

I would love the I9s if they used normal spokes...they are really blingy and cool...someday there will be a perfect wheel...that day is not here yet though

Anthem1

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 06:57:07 PM »
Having done the maintanance on my hope hubs after 10 months of abuse this past week, I have had them apart and they are such a simple well built hub I see no reason they won't last as long as a King. There are no gimmicks, just 4 real pawls with real springs, 5 cartridge bearings and removeable end caps that can be changed in less than a minute to convert to a 20mm set up. Upon inspection my hubs required nothing but since I was there I removed the old grease from thefreehub and gave her a fresh SQUIRT :o At the price listed, you can buy a complete Hope wheelset for the price of the King rear hub. Again Allen asked for a LIGHT, DURABLE wheel set, the new Hope completes offer both of those features for the price of a King rear hub.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:11:22 PM by Anthem1 »

Advertisement: