Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: matching tires  (Read 2523 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
matching tires
« on: January 10, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »
ok so someone left some tires with a sign "free tires" at the park the other day so I snagged a few, they are used but usable so I thought I would try them. right now I have the stock specialized 2.1 tires on my bike both front and rear. the ones I picked up are 2 totally different tires, not sure what kind cause they are in my car right now, ones a 1.95 racing tire with an almost continuous tread in the middle to minimize rolling resistance, and the other is a 2.0 panaracer if memory serves me.
basically my questions are do you guys usually run matching tire? would I see any real improvement if I put these on my bike (1.95 racer in front, panaracer rear)?

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
Re: matching tires
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 07:11:30 PM »
It doesn't really matter if they match, just run the one with more aggressive tread up front and Id probably run the race tire in back.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »
just run the one with more aggressive tread up front and Id probably run the race tire in back.

really? I was thinking the aggressive tread would help me climb better, which I have been having issues with lately.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 07:54:27 PM »
A slick tire up front would make you wash out easily. I hate when that happens so I'd put it in the back and gear up for the hills as to keep more traction. Then again I'm that guy who just buys the cheapest all conditions tires and then runs them well past their life span. Maybe you should wait to hear from one of the guys who has like four different compound tires for all types of trail conditions.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 08:03:40 PM »
race tire back - panaracer up front

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »
ok I'll give it a shop tomorrow

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 08:21:07 AM »
they are right big knobby front skinny fast back...

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 08:41:17 AM »
if I have time today I'm gonna switch them out and try them at loyce harpe. since no one suggested it I'm guessing that these tires must be better then the stock rollers I have now.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 09:15:54 AM »
Without knowing what kind of tires you have on now it is impossible to make a comparison.  You noted specialized 2.1 but didn't say which treat pattern.  When it comes to tires it is personal preferance.  I run Maxxis 2.1 Crossmarks on my 29er and Maxxis Ignitors 2.35 on my trance.  Though the guys are right fat grippy up front and skinny fast roller on the back. If you are having problems with climbing it could be body position and momentum.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Anthem1

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 01:22:30 PM »
Specialized makes some GREAT tires, if you are talking Fast Traks or Captains you may be downgrading.

Offline Reese

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 02:14:33 PM »
Also, if you are going to run two different size tires, you want the larger width tire in the front for traction.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 02:35:39 PM »
I just finished switching the tires out. the specialized tires I had were resolutions (cheap stockers I'm guessing) 2.1's, the panaracer I put on the front was a 2.1 but looked much thinner then the specialized. and the rear tire is a 1.95 kenda? well I'm heading to carter road at 3 or so to see if I like them. I can tell a difference while riding on the street already, the front grips more on tight turns and it rolls a tiny bit easier, but this is with the tires inflated pretty well.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »
The reolutions look like they are an alright tire, from the reviews on MTBR.  But if the new combo works for ya roll with it!!
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 05:02:04 PM »
just got home from the park, only did a little bit of riding cause I was beat and hungry. so the panaracer on the front seems to work pretty well, I was able to hold a few corners I usually slow down for. but the kenda on the back was definately not a confidence builder especially around any sand, it was sliding all over the place. so I think I'll keep the panaracer on the front and put one of the revolutions on the back and see how it works.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 07:02:31 PM »
I just put new tires on to replace year old tires. There was still tread and knobs left on the old tires, but the difference in how well the new tires hook up compared to the old is considerable.  Especially on the rear tire as it will give you  that last little bit of grip before it spins out.  Really helpful  in areas like the climb at sneaky snake.
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: