Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Geocaching  (Read 2321 times)

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
Geocaching
« on: January 11, 2009, 02:00:02 PM »
I found this on another site. It seems pretty cool. Since most of you have GPS already (required to play) this could be a fun new way to map out your ride. Basically, you are given coordinates and you plug them into your GPS to find these hidden "caches" which is basically a log book you sign after finding it. There are over 700,000 of them around the world.  Check the site to find them in your area.

http://www.geocaching.com/
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
Re: Geocaching
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:38:08 PM »
I accidentally stumbled up on one once, and didn't know what it was until a week or so later, when  friend told me about it.

Heres a hint to your first find if you haven't gone yet.

on the entrance road to Dead River park and youth camp, about a half mile in there is an old abandoned tractor on the left..as a matter of fact it's this one...

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=1370941&albumID=54857&imageID=43981100

on the left side, behind the fuel tank, sits a geocache.

happy hunting. :)
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:38:49 PM »
this is pretty cool. I'm gonna have to start looking for some of these, there are a bunch not far from me. :)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 04:35:02 PM »
My wife and I have been caching for years.  We haven't really incorporated our MTB rides into caching though because caching interrupts the flow of the ride too much.  We did try it once at Morris Bridge but the tree cover made finding caches pretty sketchy. 

Caching is very fun though and is a good way to get exercise if you go to a park or preserve and spend the day caching there.  Brooker Creek Preserve off of Van Dyke Rd in North Tampa is a good start.  You'll do a few miles of walking and there's probably 20 caches in there. 
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »
sorry to bring up an OLD thread...  Anyone playing now?

I recently joined the craze and really enjoying it with the kids.  They love to get these "tresure" and learning how to be stealth.  I found tons of geocaches on the trails we ride.  Specially at carter, WTA, and Santos.  A few in Boyette and Alafia that I will be hitting soon.

Our Geocaching Team = PinkFunnyMonkeys (aka PFM)    ... Kids name it... best way to get them out in nature or urban jungle.

Offline dannyw

• First Bike
  • My Bike: 2002 Gary Fisher HKEK
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »
I've been geocaching with the kids for a couple of years now. It's a great way to get them outside and hiking or biking or whatever without having to hassle them to go just a little further. If they know there is a "treasure box" at the other end, they will just race along and spend all afternoon tromping around in the woods.

We've used bikes to get to many, but it's more of a rail-trail or nature preserve thing than a MTB type thing.

Oh, I'm dbwill while geocaching. Not sure where the whole "team" thing comes from, I've just used that one name.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 01:59:53 PM »
Hey Danny.. Yea that is how I've gotten the kids out there in nature with me.  We went to asher preserver in Gibsoton.  Is about a 3-4 mile hike.  They had their first run in with a mommy pig and it scared the crap out of them.  Carrying my lanser stealth knife with me next time. 

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 12:33:29 PM »
Funny this thread just got resurrected.  My buddy found one accidentally in WTA this past Sunday.  Until then I was oblivious to what geocaching was.  Now, I'm addicted to the idea and plan on getting involved with my kids very soon.  Good luck!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 02:33:07 PM »
Hey perchman...  yea is a bit more enjoyable with the family.  Hey did you put that Geocache back as you all found it?  If not, pm me the details on the location and i'll go put it back or we can report it that it needs better hidding. Keep things fun for all other geocachers.  WTA has TON of them hidden.  That is why you see a lot of hikers on the trail with gps on hand sometimes.  I plan to hit WTA soon.  There is just so many that I am going to need several trips.

I was at Boyette Monday and picked up some geocaches there.  Two are so close to our MTB trails that it was kind of cool to get off the trail and go hunt for them.  Took me to places within Boyette that I would not have know existed even after riding there many times.

Offline dannyw

• First Bike
  • My Bike: 2002 Gary Fisher HKEK
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 04:32:42 PM »
Took me to places within Boyette that I would not have know existed even after riding there many times.

That is my favorite kind of cache. I really enjoy being led to a unique place that would not have seen otherwise. The kids, on the other hand, want trinkets!

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »
Sandpine, he knew exactly what it was and replaced properly, safe and sound.  Sure does add a new aspect to riding and taking the family to the park.  Now I'm shopping for a handheld GPS.

Advertisement: