Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Jump Contest  (Read 10415 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Jump Contest
« on: January 11, 2009, 05:35:58 PM »
Anyone else witness the high flying action at Alafia today. Just before the climb to Shelly's loop. Guy's were coming in off of Gatorback and nailing that abrupt climb out of the newer extension. Last week there was a bunch of brush covering up the entrance so I guess there is concern about people dropping in when others are riding the the lower trail. They did have spotters set up though. This guy was just killing it on a cross country rig. Heard his bike making a bunch of noise latter. I'm thinking he could have cleared my bike upright and lenght wise without a problem. Saw another dude land endo and ride his front tire all the way to the cliff edge. Totally jumped back on his bike like nothing happened. We gave him style points.

This was the first time I've ridden Alafia on Sunday and let me just say that it was freaking crowded! I usually only see a few folks on the trails Saturday (even with the parking lot full) but today the trails were full. I enjoy talking to new people at rest stops but the "trail blockers" were a bit to much.

Small world. Some guy comes up to me and says how do you like your bike? He then asks if I got it recently on Craigslist and I reply "yes". His reply...damn it, I called that guy like three times trying to buy that bike. I kept trying to tell him how it was barely used and how great it was but he didn't want to hear it.

I did spot that beautiful carbon Ibis with he blue cobalt rims flying by. Would have said something but that guy was hauling ass.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
Re: Jump Contest
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »
Are you talking about the entrance of Shelly's Loop right next to the wood fence? There is some brush/branches/logs there that block a 2.5-3.0ft drop that you can case easily. Or are you talking about the bridges connection trail that leads towards rock garden from the exit of Gatorback? There is a dirt hill there that you can jump easily.

Short of that, I don't know where else you could jump in that area.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 09:23:53 PM »
When you exit Gatorback you come to the fork in the trail and are blocked from going straigt due to a wooden railing. If you go left instead of heading out towards Bridges/Franks loop, there is a newish wide left trail option on the way to Shelly's loop and it runs just below Gatorback (you can easily see it while standing by the large pine trees just after the last very difficult rooty climb on Gatorback). The wide left trail option spits you out at the climb up to Shelly's loop.
People are making a hard left and dropping in from Gatorback on a very sandy short cut (just after the large pine trees) and picking up the end of the newish trail. At the end of said trail there is a abrupt uphill that when you have enough speed will launch you quite a bit. There was a guy on a FR/DH rig there today but he couldn't do much due to his fork sucking up on impact with the jump face.

BTW, I found out the springs for 7in and 8in travel 888 VF and RC are the same part number but use different spacers on top of them. I have no idea why your springs are 3/4 inch longer than mine. Probably just gonna call Marzocchi tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:27:43 PM by catman »

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:24:31 PM »
that sounds like Tom on the Ibis. I wonder who he was trying to catch? :)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:24:39 PM »
Not to be a kill joy...but should they be doing that?
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 11:34:25 PM »
When you exit Gatorback you come to the fork in the trail and are blocked from going straigt due to a wooden railing. If you go left instead of heading out towards Bridges/Franks loop, there is a newish wide left trail option on the way to Shelly's loop and it runs just below Gatorback (you can easily see it while standing by the large pine trees just after the last very difficult rooty climb on Gatorback). The wide left trail option spits you out at the climb up to Shelly's loop.
People are making a hard left and dropping in from Gatorback on a very sandy short cut (just after the large pine trees) and picking up the end of the newish trail. At the end of said trail there is a abrupt uphill that when you have enough speed will launch you quite a bit. There was a guy on a FR/DH rig there today but he couldn't do much due to his fork sucking up on impact with the jump face.

BTW, I found out the springs for 7in and 8in travel 888 VF and RC are the same part number but use different spacers on top of them. I have no idea why your springs are 3/4 inch longer than mine. Probably just gonna call Marzocchi tomorrow.

Keep me posted on the spring situation. If they say my 06' 888 rc2x green firm springs will work on your 888 VF, let me know. Will save you 45$.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 05:48:14 AM »
So they are dropping in from gatorback at the pine tree meadow but not getting air until they are all the way on the new side loop before shelleys? 

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 07:29:36 AM »
So they are dropping in from gatorback at the pine tree meadow but not getting air until they are all the way on the new side loop before shelleys? 

Sounds like they are dropping in from Gatorback onto the new little section on bridges before you make the climb up to the entrance to Shelley's Loop.  Right after that gnarly rooty beast of a climb on Gatorback, if you look down, you can see the new trail.  I think that's where they're dropping into.  I remember seeing a bunch of people hanging out at that section yesterday when I went through.

Catman, should've yelled at me.  I would've slowed the Ibis down to say hi.  I like riding Alafia on Sunday's just because it is crowded.  Get to meet lots of people out there.

SFG, I was probably trying to catch Jim.  I hooked up with him yesterday after I had made a solo lap.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 08:29:37 AM »
 übermensch has it right. As soon as you complete the jump you're face to face with the mild root climb up to the entrance of Shelly's loop. Trust me, you hit that jump with a ton of speed after rolling in from Gatorback. The distance from Gatorback to the jump is actually very short and your going downhill up to the point were you hit the jump.Guys were actually hitting the brakes before the jump and being called out for doing so.

KRUNNCH brought up that this short cut is probably not a legal bypass. I imagine there will be a railing put up once the first guy drops in without looking and takes out someone on the lower trail. That would be really ugly because both riders would tumble downhill only to bounce off the face the ditch.

übermensch...this is what I imagine would have happened if I tried to get your attention. 'hey guy with the blue wheels!". Guy with blue wheels turns around while going 15+ mph to see who the hell is yelling at him. Guy with blue wheels rides off the cliff just to the left of the climb to Shelly's loop and destroys both his new wheels and sweet carbon bike. Guy who did the yelling attempts to blend in with the large crowd that is gathering to see the carnage.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 08:39:03 AM »
I am surprised Art or Garry have not chimed in on this shortcut. Cause if we are making shortcuts, there are a few I would like to make....  :o

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 08:40:46 AM »
LOL...definitely a possible scenario.  Or, I would've slowed down enough to yell over my shoulder for you to catch up with me.  ;)

I take it you were in that crowd of folks hanging around at that spot?  I went by so fast everything was a blur, so I really didn't see much detail.  ;D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 08:57:57 AM »
I am surprised Art or Garry have not chimed in on this shortcut. Cause if we are making shortcuts, there are a few I would like to make....  :o

I imagine Art doesn't know about said shortcut yet. Imagine if we didn't have to go out and "fix" crap like this how much other trail work we could get done. :) :)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »

I imagine Art doesn't know about said shortcut yet. Imagine if we didn't have to go out and "fix" crap like this how much other trail work we could get done. :) :)

Trust me, I understand now. This is why we need to either join in on said shortcuts and legalize them or shut them down so that we can get back to building the new trail. Ultimately, shortcuts I think are bad and good. The bad being they make the trail system look like an unorganized piece of Swiss cheese and the good being it creates many options. However, I think they taint the integrity of the very clean organized Alafia system. Perhaps this is a sign we need more trails at Alafia to meet the increasing demand? Hint-hint...pretty please more trail Art? Hopefully we will have that Alafia workday this February....  :-X

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 09:14:45 AM »

I also don't think Art is aware of it.  It wasn't really all that visible until a week or so ago.  After a few people had started using it.  But yesterday, you could tell it had been ridden many times.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 09:18:27 AM »
The big problem with these kind of shortcuts is that it only takes 1 person not looking/paying attention to ram into another person resulting in a *storm of biblical porportions that could threaten the future of the trails.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Advertisement: