Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: question about buying an older FS frame..  (Read 2444 times)

Offline DeV

• Loudmouth Know-it-all
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia for sure!
  • My Bike: 06 Stumpy Comp
question about buying an older FS frame..
« on: January 13, 2009, 09:45:29 PM »
so i have an opportunity to snatch up a 2000 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR pro frame.. and its a great deal.. but im wondering if it would be worth it to build a bike thats only going to have 3 1/4 inches of travel in the rear.. because i have to assume that if i put a longer travel shock on the rear.. ill screw up the geometry of the bike.. but i am a beginner rider.. and i am on a budget.. so..

opinions? *go easy on me.. imma noob* :)
2006 Specialized Stumpy Comp

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: question about buying an older FS frame..
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:57:30 PM »
so i have an opportunity to snatch up a 2000 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR pro frame.. and its a great deal.. but im wondering if it would be worth it to build a bike thats only going to have 3 1/4 inches of travel in the rear.. because i have to assume that if i put a longer travel shock on the rear.. ill screw up the geometry of the bike.. but i am a beginner rider.. and i am on a budget.. so..

opinions? *go easy on me.. imma noob* :)

I guess that the first question is how much would you have to spend on the frame, and then how many of your current components would be able to be transfered and how well would they work on the Stumpjumper? The travel is less of an issue. While it might be desirable to have more travel, it is not needed.

So my answer is "more information please"?

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
At 260lbs you may be cutting it close with a 3 1/4 travel non coil over air shock. If it's the right size for you, super cheap, in good condition (shock holds air and bearings are pretty tight), you really like it, and your parts will transfer over I'd say pull the trigger. It would at least be a few steps up from the Iron Horse hardtail. I sold my buddies Iron Horse 1.3 frame about a year ago for $75 on ebay so may be able to get some of your money back that you spent on the FSR. I think people are buying cheaper frames on ebay in order to build up a single speed.

Note: Being that old make sure the frame accepts disc brakes!
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline DeV

• Loudmouth Know-it-all
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 02:52:19 AM »
i could get the frame for about 200 bucks.. including shipping.. and no.. it doesnt have a disc mount in the rear.. although i hear specialized made a disc adapter for it.. theyre just hard to find.. my fork will be going on the front.. so ill have disc mounts up front.. the shock thats on it now is a fox float R.. it holds air.. i dunno.. my last bike before i moved down here 10 years ago was a 1997 FSR Ground Control.. so i guess im being nostalgic.. but if i can build this frame and have it do what i want to do.. i just may jump on it.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 07:48:41 AM »
Dev,
I say.. save your money for the next few months to get what you really want.  You might end up spending more, trying to retrofit and "make things work".  Plus then you will have what you "really want".  Make sure if you do buy a used frame that is is the right size for you as well.  Just my 2 cents. 
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 08:52:46 AM »
I'm with bikehard. If the disc adaptor is rare I'm guessing it will sell for $30-$50 so now you could be up to $250 for a frame that is almost 10 yrs old and not exactly suited to your needs. You may also need a different front derailleur for a FS rig so add in the possibility of another $30-$50. Seat tube may be a different size as well so throw in a seatpost and clamp. Sometimes you even have to screw around with the bottom bracket to get the chain to run straight (chainline).
Also: Going from a HT to FS usually means you'll need new cable housings (I've only gotten lucky once and have built several bikes) and even longer brake/shifter cables. This may sound like no big deal but trust me by the time you get cable housings, cables, cable ends, housing ends, zip ties, maybe a cable guide for the bottom bracket, misc clips, cable lube $10, etc you've spend a substantial amount of cash. Friend of mine somewhat recently went in to get these exact parts plus a few other misc items like handlebar grips and he ended up with a bill of almost $70!!! Lets just say he was pissed. His super cheap frame wasn't so cheap anymore.
Just to give you an idea I sold my 2004 Giant NRS 1 frame a year ago with a newer Fox shock (with lockout) for only $300. Hope we're not raining on your parade? Just want to give you as much info as possible so you don't make the same mistakes some of us have. Of course these mistakes are the best way to learn a lot about bikes. It however is very disappointing to start building the frame up only to discover that you've run into issues towards the end that will keep you broken down for a week while parts are on order. I've learned to NEVER tell anyone that you'll meet them on the trails later today soon as you put your new frame together.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline DeV

• Loudmouth Know-it-all
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:03:36 AM »
oh no.. you guys definitly arent raining on my parade.. this is exactly what i need to hear.. lol.. im the kind of guy who can talk himself into anything.. so i need a voice of reason.. i also made a deal with myself that i wouldnt buy myself a bike until i reach my goal weight.. and i was about to break that deal too.. so im gonna stick to my guns.. keep riding the tank.. and wait until the right bike falls into my lap.

thanks for all the help!

Anthem1

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:04 AM »
Not sure how tall you are but that Medium Cannondale Rush frame that's for sale looks like a pretty sweet trail setup :)

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 05:59:49 PM »
Dev,

If you hit Carter with us this saturday and can make it through the whole thing, you should be guaranteed to drop 3-5 lbs:)  Some incentive :) 
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline DeV

• Loudmouth Know-it-all
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »
i really do wanna get out there.. im trying to put it together..

as far as height.. im 6'3".. i weigh about 260 pounds.. im thinkin im probably best on a large frame.. 18 or 19 inches?

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 10:00:01 PM »
I'm 6'3 225lbs and I ride a 21 inch, I'd think 18 would be way to small for you, my wife is 5'6" and she rides a 17.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 10:24:40 PM »
I agree that an 18 is definitely too small for you, but your height is not the only thing to think about with size. Your proportions are just as important. In other words if you are long legged, but you have a relatively short torso, or vice versa. Those can really effect fit. Best bet is to sit on and ride a 19 and a 21.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 10:58:54 PM »
You need to talk to Jonesy about losing weight, he lost almost 100 lbs in less than 6 months or so.  He says he was riding flatwoods at his top speed 4 days a week and the weight came melting off.  He is a freakin monster now too, fast and a really strong rider.  And stick to your original plan, get to your target weight before making that bike purchase.  Your body may be totally different by then and what you like now you may not then.  Good luck man and keep with it!!

Offline DeV

• Loudmouth Know-it-all
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 11:16:05 PM »
yeah im gonna hold off... for now.. i joined a gym today.. gonna kick my ass in the gym during the week.. and on the trails on weekends.. see how that does for me.. a 21 inch frame feels really big to me.. my first bike back in the day was a 21 inch Hard Rock.. when i went to my Rockhopper.. the sales guy told me to trade down a size so i could move the bike around better.. and ive been riding 18 or 19 inch frames since then.. who knows.. im gonna go to my LBS and get fitted properly before i buy anything.

thanks for the input guys :)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 07:10:44 AM »
im gonna go to my LBS and get fitted properly before i buy anything.
Smartest move that you can make no matter what bike you get or where you get it from.  Fit makes up for a whole lot of bike.

Advertisement: