Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Starting a Trips for Kids chapter in the TampaBay Area  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
Starting a Trips for Kids chapter in the TampaBay Area
« on: January 15, 2009, 09:20:06 PM »
I am beginning the process of starting a chapter of Trips For Kids in this area.   This is a national charity with over 60 chapters throughout the country.  Every chapter is allowed the freedom to focus on different things but the main goal of the program is to get underprivileged and inner-city kids into Mountain biking as a way to gain personal responsibility, achievement and environmental awareness through the development of practical skills.  You can read much more about it at Tripsforkids.org .

The program I am hoping to put together is going to have a primary focus on Outdoor Environmental training (Habitat Preservation and Environmental Awareness) with secondary focuses on the following:

Sports and Recreation- simple enjoyment
Health and Nutrition
Mountain bike skills development-may include racing
Bike Maintenance- possible trail building and maintenance as well
Junior Leadership- team building
Troubled Youth and Behavioral Problems

Even though the primary focus is going to be on the environment all of the above areas will play a huge role in the organization.

I am going to need some help getting this off the ground.  If anyone would like to be part of this please let me know.  Right now I need people who are knowledgeable in any of the areas mentioned above and would like to be involved in devising the curriculum for the program.  I also need someone with experience in fundraising and volunteer recruiting.  Any one who would like to help get this going please contact me?  I can be reached at 813-210-2013 or by email at kid_e_99@yahoo or you can just send me a pm through here.

As I was finishing writing this up Marilyn Price the director and founder of Trips For Kids called me.  As we were discussing the program I mentioned to her that I was in the process of trying to recruit help from the SWAMP Club and she informed me that many other IMBA Clubs sponsor local chapters of Trips for Kids and that if the club wanted to sponsor the organization I would not have to start a separate non-profit organization.  I donít know if the club would be interested in this or not.  I guess I should bring that up in the club business forum. Either way I hope that SWAMP will play a big role in this program.

This has the potential to be a great organization.  I hope I can count on some of you to help get the ball rolling on this.

Sincerely,
Chris Kiddy
813-210-2013
kid_e_99   AT  yahoo.com
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:50:49 PM by Gregg, Reason: modifying email to prevent spam »
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Starting a Trips for Kids chapter in the TampaBay Area
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 09:39:08 PM »
Send a proposal to "info at swampclub dot org"

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 02:11:20 PM »
   Chris, this sounds like a good cause.  I am unable to help with funraising or organization, but would be happy to give a day a month or so to help with actual rides or bike/trail work days after this gets off the ground.  I hope you can get some club support because it really does sound like a good thing.
   My cousin came down and stayed with me last year, he was a junkie when he got here.  The first 2 weeks he was here he went through some really bad withdrawal symptoms.  After that, I made him ride, it was a condition of staying with me.  We went from me dragging him out of bed on the first 2 sunday mornings to him bugging me to ride more during the week.  He also went from barely making it through Northcreek to railing everything on Gatorback.  When he left my home, he was stronger, fitter, more focused and has continued to ride.  This addiction is so much better than drug ones and most of the mountain bikers I meet have a healthy respect for the outdoors and seem like pretty good people.  Good luck with this.   

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 06:53:02 PM »
   Chris, this sounds like a good cause.  I am unable to help with funraising or organization, but would be happy to give a day a month or so to help with actual rides or bike/trail work days after this gets off the ground.  I hope you can get some club support because it really does sound like a good thing.
   My cousin came down and stayed with me last year, he was a junkie when he got here.  The first 2 weeks he was here he went through some really bad withdrawal symptoms.  After that, I made him ride, it was a condition of staying with me.  We went from me dragging him out of bed on the first 2 sunday mornings to him bugging me to ride more during the week.  He also went from barely making it through Northcreek to railing everything on Gatorback.  When he left my home, he was stronger, fitter, more focused and has continued to ride.  This addiction is so much better than drug ones and most of the mountain bikers I meet have a healthy respect for the outdoors and seem like pretty good people.  Good luck with this.   

That is a great story.   We are looking to create more stories just like that with this organization.  One day a month would be great.  One day every other month would be great.  Anyone else who would like to be a ride guide please let me know, or if you just want to tag along as a chaperone.  We are going to be required to have one ride guide for every ride and a ratio of 1 adult for every 3 kids.  As of now, I am hoping to have our first informal ride in about 3 months.  I am going to try to plan a ride along with the Gainesville and/or Orlando chapters within the next month or so if anyone would be interested going with me to get a better idea about what the program is all about.
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 09:41:47 AM »
Pending time requirements I would be able to help out, ride guide/Chaparone.  I could also help out with the leadership development. Let me know, I will be out of the state for a few months to attend more leadership/job training.  I can help when I get back.

Dan
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »
Pending time requirements I would be able to help out, ride guide/Chaparone.  I could also help out with the leadership development. Let me know, I will be out of the state for a few months to attend more leadership/job training.  I can help when I get back.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

It would be great to have your help. Like I said it is going to take a few months to get this whole thing organized, so when you get back hopefully we will be up and running. I am taking down everyones name who tells me they are interested in helping in some way.  When things start getting closer I will start contacting people.  Again, than you for showing interest.

Chris Kiddy

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 10:08:07 PM »
Would any of you be interested in serving on the Board of Directors for Trips For Kids Tampa?  I am looking for a few people with lots of mountain biking experience and a desire to introduce underprivileged children to this great sport in an effort to teach them environmental awareness and lessons in life.

Serving on the board will not require a lot of your time nor does it require any expertise other than a passion for mt biking and helping less fortunate children, but it will give you the opportunity to shape the future of this program.  All future decisions of the organization will be decided on by a vote from the board members.  Other than that how much you want to put into the program is totally up to you.  I am committed to doing most of the work to run this program but I need people to turn to with more mountain biking experience than me.

Those of you who have already contacted me about being ride guides I truly appreciate your interest and I cant wait to see you on our inaugural ride in a few months. I will keep you posted as to how everything is moving along.

I hope some of you will consider serving on the board. If you have any questions or would like to know more about what you can do to help, or just more information about the organization itself, please contact me.

Thank you
Chris Kiddy

P.S.  If any of you know anyone who does not frequent these boards but might be interested being part of this program please pass on my contact information to them.

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »
Hey guys, you might have seen some of my posts earliear about starting a Trips For Kids Chapter.  Well it is well on its way and we are looking to have our first ride sometime in April.  I wanted you all to see the beta version of our website and let me know what you think http://sites.google.com/site/tfktampa/ , it is no where near complete but it will give you an idea about what the org is all about.

We still need volunteers so anyone who would like to be involved in this let me know. My contact info is on the website.

Also we are holding a charity yard sale on March 7th, on highway 301 in Riverview, between the alafia river and pecks chicken.  If you have anything lying around your garage that you dont need let me know.  We will come and get it.  We are hoping to raise around $3000 to cover some of our start up expenses.  So anything you have to donate would be a great help.

Also you will see a lot on the website about getting the kids involved in trail maintenance and building, Garry I will be sending a proposal to the board within the next few days about forming a formal relationship with SWAMP for the trail building projects. 

I really hope that more swamp members will get involved in this.

Advertisement: