Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Linked Events

• Flatwoods Tuesday Night Ride: December 26, 2006

Author Topic: Flatwoods Tuesday Night Ride Dec 26th, 2006  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
Flatwoods Tuesday Night Ride Dec 26th, 2006
« on: December 08, 2006, 10:15:55 PM »
Tuesday, Dec 26th  Arrive 6:00 pm - Out by 8:30 pm

(Every Tuesday Night from Nov to Mar)

Flatwoods Ranger Station
14542 Morris Bridge Rd Thonotosassa, FL 33592 *

Night riding adds a whole new adventure to your mountain biking adventure. More fun than you expect and always a learning experience. Some folks claim they ride faster at night!

Unguided ride, but everyone rides with a group. Paved loop is also open to any paid rider.

Helmet and a good lighting system (10 watts or better) required. (Flashlights are not bright enough)

Fee, $3, covers park expenses. Make cash payment to the Ride Leader.  Sign in with the ranger.

* Note: Address estimated for best Map performance.
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
Re: Flatwoods Tuesday Night Ride Dec 26th, 2006
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 08:16:40 AM »
From Ken,
      Thinking about doing the night ride Tuesday and I was wondering about the trails you take, how long of a ride. Is the flatwoods ranger station where we had the Christmas Party or elsewhere. I really enjoyed the night ride at the fat tire festival, couldn't help but notice the trail gremlins that kept grabbing Kelly in front of me though. Do you think my oldest kids would fare okay, they are 12 and 13, and ride well? They have done night rides with me at Alafia on river loop, rock garden, sand pine, and some of rollercoaster. They also can do the main loop at Wilderness trail during the day with little to no problem. We have the correct lighting also.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Flatwoods Tuesday Night Ride Dec 26th, 2006
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 11:37:19 AM »
Ken,

If your kids have ridden those trails at Alafia they will be fine a Flatwoods.

The ride starts at the Flatwoods Station that is off of Morris Bridge Road. It is NOT where we had the Christmas Party. If you were to pass the entrance to Trout Creek Park (which is where the party was) and follow Morris Bridge Road, The road will bend to the north and you will go passed two other park entrances and over an overpass which crosses the HIllsborough River. The entrance station is on the left. There is a small sign that points to the "birding trial" that might alert you. If you reach  Cross creek Blvd, you have gone to far.

As far as the trails go, there is a little bit of variety that is ridden, but primarily the group starts down (south) the 1800 trail, turns back on to the Eubanks Parkway, comes back out to the paved loop at the "Y" watering hole. We then head back into the woods at #26 and ride through to #37. At this point is where the divergence ususally takes place. Some will turn around an go back from there, others will continue to ride until the reach the water control structure over the river (#38-#47), while others have recently added the new Panther reroute to there route.

No matter which way you decide to go, there is always someone to ride with from the very fast to the very relaxed. Most folks fall somewhere in the middle. Distances run from about 11 miles to about 18-19 miles. 

The night rides are great fun!

Hope to see you there!!

Gregg       

Advertisement: