Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: My bell has been rung!  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
My bell has been rung!
« on: January 18, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »
According to my son I got some wicked air off Spur, and thats all I remember.  I must have gotten some pretty good air according to my son.  After looking at my helmet I think I have a concussion.  My son guided me back to the truck and directed me home.  Anway, I'd like to thank my son Coty the little Swamper for getting me out of Boyette and home safely.  So as I sit here with the cuckoo's flying around my head I have to thank Coty for knowing Boyette well enough to get me out.  I don't remember a thing.....

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: My bell has been rung!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »
Holy crap!   :o  Not a good thing that you can't remember.  Head injuries are nothing to fool around with.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 06:36:15 PM »
I'm good.....I might as well get a 12 pack, as I know I'm gonna have a headache!

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 06:48:20 PM »
I'm good.....I might as well get a 12 pack, as I know I'm gonna have a headache!

LOL.  That's one way to take care of it
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 06:51:45 PM »
Before you drink the twelver, write down a story about how you flew off the jump, railed the next turn, then pedalled on back to the parking lot safe and sane.  Tomorrow when you wake up, read it and you'll just think you drank too much and never fell.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 07:53:05 PM »
My son said I was laughing my butt off.  Its amazing I don't remember a thing.  I guess the adrenaline kicked in.  Might want to put that jump on the work list. From what my son told me it kicked me sideways.  Heck I don't remember.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 08:24:08 PM »
Spur is an insanely fun little jump...and can be an insanely dangerous little jump to you carry too much speed..glad you're ok sir. :)

I've never attempted to get more than 2 or 3 feet of air off that, just doing that, nearly lands me at the bottom, more than that and I'm flat landing....no thanks...lol
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 08:48:59 PM »
Spur is an insanely fun little jump...and can be an insanely dangerous little jump to you carry too much speed..glad you're ok sir. :)

I've never attempted to get more than 2 or 3 feet of air off that, just doing that, nearly lands me at the bottom, more than that and I'm flat landing....no thanks...lol

Oh I'm thinking I got about 5 ft according to him.  It needs to be fixed.  I'll let Gary know the jump is unsafe and see if we can get it on the list for the workday. From my son's account it kicked me sideways so I'm assuming it has developed a rut at the peak.  I would have to check it. No big deal...just need a new helmet and I'll be ready to go. Thanks for your concern.  Other than that, it was awesome.  Well worth the headache, and the pain I'm gonna be in tomorrow.  Dang cheap 10.00 bell helmets! 

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:51:38 PM »
Man you have to be careful on that jump.  A few people have bit it taking too much air.  I know I have had some pretty good hang time off of it.  Forrest broke his collar bone on it a year or so back.  It is fun and once you land you can't help but turn the throttles and zip through the turns.  For safety you may want to go get checked out if your head is still buzzing.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 08:55:40 PM »
Oh I'm thinking I got about 5 ft according to him.  It needs to be fixed.
5 feet is huge.  That's the fun part; landing? Not so much.  I went over it today and just took a little air on my hardtail.  Can't convince myself to ride like I used to just yet. It is a little rutted.  I'll take a closer look Tuesday when I go out there.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 09:09:03 PM »
Man you have to be careful on that jump.  A few people have bit it taking too much air.  I know I have had some pretty good hang time off of it.  Forrest broke his collar bone on it a year or so back.  It is fun and once you land you can't help but turn the throttles and zip through the turns.  For safety you may want to go get checked out if your head is still buzzing.

I'm fine.  Although there is nothing like having an 8 yr old take you out.  I' wont live this one down for awhile.  Anyway, Gary we need to put it on the workday, as it seems it must have a lip worn into it that kicked me sideways.  If it's gonna stay there as a jump we should make sure it is a safe jump.  I'm fine.....just stupidy at it's finest.  I'm glad I'm fat so I had some cushion.  I'm sure I got a concussion, but what can you do.  I guess I can be the first casualty of the year, unless it doesn't count if you don't go to the hospital.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 09:13:08 PM »
HAH...Yea, not going to the hospital is cheating.  No carnage points for that.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 09:17:53 PM »
a buddy told me there are 2 types of MTBers

1. ones that have been to the hospital
2. ones that will be going to the hospital

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 09:21:42 PM »
a buddy told me there are 2 types of MTBers

1. ones that have been to the hospital
2. ones that will be going to the hospital

THAT is true

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 09:22:06 PM »
HAH...Yea, not going to the hospital is cheating.  No carnage points for that.
Hey....my son said he found me at the bottom laughing hysterically.  I should at least make the hall of shame for having an 8 yr old lead me out.  I think it was an awesome jump...just wish I remembered it. Chain Love have any helmets?

Advertisement: