Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: building endurance?  (Read 2534 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
building endurance?
« on: January 19, 2009, 04:50:07 PM »
well the title says it, basically I have none. what do you guys do to build it up?
I was thinking I would just do the easy trails over and over again at a slower pace. I've been jogging on the treadmill but that doesn't seem to be helping my biking endurance any. I'd rather ride the tougher trails and build my skill, but the more time I spend at loyce harpe I realize skill is nothing if you have to stop after each trail.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: building endurance?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:53:20 PM »
TIS - Time In Saddle

the more you ride the better the endurance

MTBing is a lot more interval than road biking - keep that in mind - if you can go out and keep a steady cadence for a long period of time and try to go a little further each time you will get better endurance

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:57:41 PM »
Loaded question but my $0.02 would be, watch the food you eat off saddle.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 05:16:53 PM »
well the title says it, basically I have none. what do you guys do to build it up?
I was thinking I would just do the easy trails over and over again at a slower pace. I've been jogging on the treadmill but that doesn't seem to be helping my biking endurance any. I'd rather ride the tougher trails and build my skill, but the more time I spend at loyce harpe I realize skill is nothing if you have to stop after each trail.
Trying to begin endurance training on technical trails will soon make you feel defeated, or not really give you a good barometer of what your endurance is.  Cross training will build your endurance up - i.e. biking, running, swimming, kayaking, lifting, trail work  ;), chopping firewood - hey, it works.  Point is, utilizing different muscle groups and aerobic exercises for the lungs and extending your lactate thresh hold builds your endurance.  Certainly proper nutrition as Morrison states is important as well.  Extended exercise does damage to our muscles.  To recover we need protein in our diet to repair that damage. Carbs also gives us the energy we need to keep going. Watch what you eat, read labels, check the internet for healthy foods, energy foods, muscle repair foods and incorporate as much of that in your diet as you can.  Nothing wrong with cheating now and again, we're human, but focus on good eats, plenty of water, plenty of exercise and you will see your endurance take off.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 06:08:14 PM »
All of the above plus ride with people faster than you are. Eventually, the gap will close. Where you take it from there is up to the individual and what they really want.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 07:27:42 PM »
I have to agree with Factore, the more you ride, the more you'll be able to ride.

With that said there are alot of other things that play into it. Garry and Ells touched on nutrition and hydration. Proper recovery is also very important, listen to your body! Everyone is different, so you can get pointers but at the same time you have to figure out what works for you. If you are like me though, and you only get 1 chance to ride a week you have to make sure you push yourself. You also need to ride longer without stopping. Instead of riding a section and stopping at the end just do a slow pedal to the next section. You have to push your limits, without breaking them. It's better to stop than it is to crash because you went to far.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 07:42:47 PM »
Trying to keep up with the slowfatguy has helped me twofold.  My endurance has improved and my skills as well (mostly).  He's even nice enough to stop from time to time and let me catch up.  :D

I definitely agree with the only riding once a week statement.  I'd like to ride more but can't.  Tried riding around where I live during the summer when it's daylight longer, but that pretty much sucked.  Boring sidewalks and asphalt.   >:(
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 07:51:14 PM »
good deal guys, thanks. I've started eating much healthier recently, no fried foods, limited refined sugars, more whole grains, veggies, fruit, grilled meats....... I'm not doing it for training, I'm just trying to live a little healthier. unfortunately I haven't been able to ride much lately, but I'm hoping to get in a few laps tomorrow.
I think one of my factors in limited advancement is the wifey, see we started biking together and most often then not she is with me so I can't go full throttle or I'll lose her. I'm not complaining cause its great we have a hobby together but I'm hoping she can get up a few levels and by next year we will partner up for el lagarto. thanks again guys.

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 07:53:45 PM »
or.... you can do what I did... ditch the wife  ;) j/k

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »
It's nice that the 2 of you share the same hobby.  The fact that you sometimes lose her while riding can be motivation for her to push herself.  And as she increases her speed and endurance, that can push you as well.

Next time you ride, go a little farther before stopping.  If you have certain spots in your ride that you like to stop at, ride by them a little way and stop there.  If you have a computer on your bike, pay attention to the mileage after every ride and try to increase it the next time.  Pay attention to how your body feels after a ride.  If you feel "comfortable", try to push yourself the next ride so that you feel a little bit of "the burn" from healthy exertion.  But don't push too hard or too fast that your body fails you.

Just a few thoughts.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 08:06:17 PM »
that is great that your wife rides with you, I envy that. My wife would kill herself on the trail. We do some of the paved trail rides, but that is it.

Try this. Get to a spot where the wife needs to rest, and make another loop while she is taking a break. You probably ride Carter alot right? The end of Horseshoe or Puff'nStuff is a good spot for that. Baby Beast and Sneaky Snake is another. Any of the fingers work really well, as do the Beast and the MOE. Keep moving. The ability to go anerobic and recover is one of the big things to adjust the body to, but you also need to know how far not to go.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 08:34:15 PM »
or.... you can do what I did... ditch the wife  ;) j/k

HAHAHA...Best thing I ever did.  ;D

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 08:37:19 PM »
I think one of my factors in limited advancement is the wifey, see we started biking together and most often then not she is with me so I can't go full throttle or I'll lose her. I'm not complaining cause its great we have a hobby together but I'm hoping she can get up a few levels and by next year we will partner up for el lagarto.
Get her hooked up with the Dirt Divas for the Squiggy race.  She will have fun and start to advance in her skills and endurance.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 08:42:35 PM »
I'd like to ride more but can't.  Tried riding around where I live during the summer when it's daylight longer, but that pretty much sucked.  Boring sidewalks and asphalt.   >:(

I wish I lived closer to the trails too.  I love the dirt.  But when I have time constraints I have a 6.5 mile loop I do on my mountain bike. It hits two bridges and a long slight uphill and two long straight aways. It's enough to get my metabolism up and running and my heart rate up.  I do it in like 20 minutes or so.  On a busy day it's a sweet way to get a burn in.  Sidewalks?  No, I own my lane.  Well, when the traffic light is backed up I own the sidewalk...lol

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 10:47:22 AM »
RIDE MORE-EAT LESS

Sounds simple but ofcourse it's not.

At 245 Lbs, my endurance sucked, was doing 15-20 miles a week off road. (one ride)

At 200 lbs and doing 50-60 miles a week off road, Endurance and speed were way up!
(That is until one highside and one well placed tree root, broke my femur)

Being married too, I understand the wife thing and the time to ride thing.
You have to ride though, endurance will never get better doing one ride a week.
Get up early, ride the MTB on the road at least twice a week and at least once on the weekend.

Or, get a stationary bike, ride for at least an hour per day, you and the wife watch tv right?

To start, ride at about 70-75% of you capability for long periods of time (one hour plus), do this for 3 or 4 months. Eventually add some sprint intervals.
* Those long slow rides will be hard to do at Alafia or Carter, suggest Boyette and Flaywoods or the local roads.

ps. I don't claim to be all that knowledgeable, but the above process worked for me.

Good luck! 
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Advertisement: