Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: First (Occasional) Florida mUni Meetup (mountain unicycling)  (Read 3141 times)

Offline billnye

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • (crazy unicycle)
  • My Bike: 24x3 KH uni w/ 2spd Schlumpf hub
First (Occasional) Florida mUni Meetup (mountain unicycling)
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:09:29 AM »
Good morning, Kats and Kittens! Yes, you read correctly, offroad unicycling.

This is just a notification for anyone who's interested (or knows anybody who might be), that there's going to be a mini unicycle meetup next month, probably the weekend of Feb 22. Right now there's around half a dozen riders planning to show up, and we're welcoming one-and-all.

The current plan is Alafia River State Park, and we typically take things casual, stopping to play or work on any sections that catch our interest, and skill levels vary within the current group, so don't be concerned about "holding anybody back".

Since Alafia has camping available, at least some of us will probably camp Saturday night, for the Sunday ride. The weather's been nice lately (before and between these cold fronts), so we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Anyone who's interested in more details, feel free to send a PM or an IM. We're putting up a site with info and updates, but if you're interested (or know of anyone who might be), we'd love to hear from you! Also if any of you bikers pass one-wheelers on your rides, pass the word along... the more the merrier.

enjoy the trails
enjoy the company,

billnye
John M

naked indian

Re: First (Occasional) Florida mUni Meetup (mountain unicycling)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:45:22 AM »

This is just a notification for anyone who's interested (or knows anybody who might be), that there's going to be a mini unicycle meetup next month, probably the weekend of Feb 22. Right now there's around half a dozen riders planning to show up, and we're welcoming one-and-all.

The current plan is Alafia River State Park, and we typically take things casual, stopping to play or work on any sections that catch our interest, and skill levels vary within the current group, so don't be concerned about "holding anybody back".

Since Alafia has camping available, at least some of us will probably camp Saturday night, for the Sunday ride. The weather's been nice lately (before and between these cold fronts), so we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Anyone who's interested in more details, feel free to send a PM or an IM. We're putting up a site with info and updates, but if you're interested (or know of anyone who might be), we'd love to hear from you! Also if any of you bikers pass one-wheelers on your rides, pass the word along... the more the merrier.

enjoy the trails
enjoy the company,

billnye
John M

Define unicycle?  If I ride my fixed gear bicycle does that count???

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:11:54 PM »

enjoy the trails
enjoy the company,

billnye
John M

Define unicycle?  If I ride my fixed gear bicycle does that count???

u·ni·cy·cle    (yn-skl) KEY 

NOUN:

A vehicle consisting of a frame mounted over a single wheel and usually propelled by pedals.
 :-\ ;D

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:44:13 PM »
Elitist!!!  ;)

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »
check out youtube and search mountain unicycle. Looks fun and painful.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline billnye

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • (crazy unicycle)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 01:59:46 PM »
It can be painful, yeah, but the pain's almost exclusively in the exercise involved :D

(As I often demonstrate, intentionally or not,) On a unicycle it may be harder to stay on top, but it's also easier to fall off safely.  No wheels fore and aft, no handlebars to get caught in.  Depending on the terrain, though, it can be quite a challenge to suddenly find yourself in a full-sprint trail run when you were riding only second before :D

Tons of exercise, but equal portion "fun", in my book.

billnye
John M

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 02:27:01 PM »
Hey John, this is Erik, I have ridden with you and Adam before.  I have no skills to ride a uni, but I wanted to tell you how cool I thought it is that you are able to put a uni ride together.  Awesome.

Offline DeV

• Loudmouth Know-it-all
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia for sure!
  • My Bike: 06 Stumpy Comp
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 02:28:11 PM »
i gotta tell you.. i would fail miserably at this.. but i would love to see it.
2006 Specialized Stumpy Comp

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 02:57:36 PM »
i gotta tell you.. i would fail miserably at this.. but i would love to see it.

I think I would fail miserably at this as well.  I have a hard enough time staying upright on 2 wheels.  :D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline billnye

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • (crazy unicycle)
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »
Hey there, Erik. Long-time-no-ride-along!

Naked Indian, if you promise to only ride one wheel (front or back, your choice) you're welcome to tag along!  (But seriously, folks...) I'm not sure how well it'd work for spectating when we've got a pack of unicyclists with widely varying skills and speeds all bunched together, hehe.  We might jam up the whole trail system at Alafia just from the "rubbernecking" bike traffic :D

On a typical ride, though we don't mind bikes tagging along. I'm out there most Sundays noonish, typically Alafia.  Unicycle speed is typically a fair bit slower than a bike would want to cruise especially through the flatter stuff when there's nothing too technical to slow you two-wheelers down, so I try to be courteous and call out for riders to pass whenever they like.  Every once in a while the "riders back" yell back that they'd rather just hang out and watch for a while, which is fine with me as long as I don't get run over on a downhill. (no coasting for us!)

billnye
John M

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 08:27:04 PM »
I saw a uni guy riding along the very edge of the Vortex pit at Santos. These dudes don't play around!
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 08:14:58 AM »
did i miss something? is the circus in town?? I dont want to see lobster boy out at alafia with the family! ;D

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 08:46:58 AM »
a guy we call SSbill i ride with rides alafia on a unicycle. I will let him know! he is usually down for any kind of riding.  8)

Offline billnye

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • (crazy unicycle)
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 09:05:48 AM »
I wonder what that boy's up to.  I haven't seen Bill at Alafia in months, one wheel or two. I know he was out of town for a while, but I don't usually have much contact with him aside from rides.

billnye
John M

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 09:28:01 AM »
he is putting in some major mtb miles to get ready for the endurance race season. The dude is an animal!

Advertisement: