Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Shop supply fee  (Read 6487 times)

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
Shop supply fee
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:21:33 AM »
We have fuel service charges, and  now LBS's are charging a shop supply fee!   This is just insane!   They have already forced me to do all my shopping online, and I guess now I'll have to start making time to do my own repairs.  So much for supporting the local economy. 

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Shop supply fee
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 11:43:08 AM »
why not find a different LBS?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:53:45 AM »
supply fee?
i can understand this at aj's where they give free coffee (shop supply) lol
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »
Auto mechanics have charged shop fees for years. In todays economy can you blame the LBS for trying to recoupe some expenses.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 12:05:03 PM »
I here ya....just thought it was funny.  Personally, I would just raise my labor rates.  I will not go     there again.  I'm sure they won't care at all.  Just thought I'd share it with everyone.   Maybe they should charge a service fee if they help you in the store.  I ought to run that by them.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »
How much are we talking about? We charge this same fee at the mechanic shop I work at. Helps to cover the expense of washing rags, changing/cleaning solvent tanks, hazard waste disposal, etc. Of course with a bill that's in the thousands and several pages long you probably won't notice this small fee. Bike shop fees are very easy to spot on the bill I'd assume.

If they charged you for a entire can of cable lube, chain cleaner, parts cleaner,chain specific lube, and maybe a tube of grease the bill would be  $50+ extra. It's my understanding that they spread these expenses out over the board and only charge you a very small percentage of your total bill.

Having said that, if they charged you more than a few bucks for this fee I'd also be a bit pissed.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 12:42:24 PM »
Like mentioned before, I'd rather see it wrapped up in the labor fee...a separate line item just bothers me a bit.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »
How much is this supply fee and what LBS is charging it? 

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 01:04:46 PM »
Probably just makes it easier for them to keep track of and thus figure out if they are breaking even or losing money on supplies. If they are making money on these fees I'm sure they don't bother adjusting it. Almost positive they will be making some money on the fees because it's not like they keep track of how much lube and what not they use.

I maintain all of my friends bikes plus the four I have. Next time they come to pick up their bike I'll present a $3 supply fee and lets see how that goes over. Better not complain since this fee is based on a total bill of $0.00

Are there any professional bike mechanics who frequent the forum?
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 01:24:48 PM »
I would not count myself as a professional bike mechanic, but I do know a lot about bikes. With that said, the shop I frequent never has charged me a ‘supply fee’. However, if they did, it could already be incorporated into their existing charges and it just isn’t so explicit. Therefore, a $15 derailleur adjustment could actually be $12.50 for them, but they charge like $2.50 for blah. Thus accounting for any variables and the customer doesn’t know about said supply fee.

Unless this fee is a ridiculous percentage of the total shop bill, then you have a couple of options...
1) Go to another shop and tell that one to stuff it.
2) Pay the fee and well, you get the rest.
3) Learn to fix your own bike and stop paying supply fees and LBS markup.

While I think it is great to give back to the LBS, there is about a 5-20$ markup when I compared things to online retailers. Lastly, I would say this ‘supply fee’ falls under a course I took in college called Managerial Accounting. Basically, a LBS has fixed costs, sunk costs, variable costs and overhead. The variable and overhead costs they have a hard time accounting for (lube usage, etc). So they have to account for this unknown by imposing said ‘supply fee’.

I got an idea though, who votes me as swamp bike mechanic? I charge very low fees and you get to see my beautiful face??? Huh Huh?
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 01:29:52 PM »
That's an easy one Krunnch, Catman already stated he charges a total bill of $0.00  ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 01:34:04 PM »
That's an easy one Krunnch, Catman already stated he charges a total bill of $0.00  ;)

He's got a bent rim and maybe might have a bent frame soon. I think he's booked up...    :-*
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »

He's got a bent rim and maybe might have a bent frame soon. I think he's booked up...    :-*

Yeah, that's true.  And he'd probably try to preach to me about 29er crap  :D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 01:53:56 PM »
For the record, the repair only involved a wrench, and no lube at all.  I doubt the mechanic even got his hands dirty.  The fee came out  to be like 17 percent of my bill. 

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 02:00:22 PM »
For the record, the repair only involved a wrench, and no lube at all.  I doubt the mechanic even got his hands dirty.  The fee came out  to be like 17 percent of my bill. 

17% = cr@p. Dude, hit up another shop or hit one of us up for help. We built an entire bike for Johnny, I think we can handle a simple wrench job. That or ask one of us how to do something and we will gladly walk you through it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:03:24 PM by KRUNNCH »

Advertisement: