Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Maintenance question  (Read 3658 times)

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
Maintenance question
« on: January 22, 2009, 03:38:24 PM »
I noticed a lot of gunk building up in my cassette.  I have been cleaning the chain and spraying the cassette after every few rides.  But I don't feel like I am cleaning the cassette enough.  Should I use a brush or maybe spray it with compressed air?  What techniques are you guys using?
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Maintenance question
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 03:41:19 PM »
I usually soak the cassette down with simple green and rinse with a water hose. You don't want alot of pressure as it'll force water into places you don't want it.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

naked indian

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 03:43:20 PM »
I usually soak the cassette down with simple green and rinse with a water hose. You don't want alot of pressure as it'll force water into places you don't want it.

This could turn into a LONG THREAD>
But I use a waterless method.  I take simplegreen spray my drive train.  Brush the crap out of it all, then wipe it down and then lube.

After I clean my bike, I apply furniture polish aka pledge to the frame, helps future clean ups a snap.  dont get that stuff on your disc brakes though.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 03:46:12 PM »
Yeah, thats another part of the question.  How are you re-applying the lube/oil.  If I spray it, I usually try to pat it with a rag to sop up any drips and not leave it too oily, but it never works out...I ride and come home with my cassette covered in oily mud.  Or am I doing it right and just need to keep cleaning it often?

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 03:48:50 PM »

Simple green regular is bad. There is an article out there somewhere, but the regular simple green eats bike parts. It corroded the heck out of my chain and subsequently within a two-day span, I blew apart two chains. I looked at them more closely and the links had almost melted away. They however did look very 'pretty' for a day.

Ah, just found it, http://velonews.com/article/9216.

Now I don't know if it eats cassettes, but I don't want to find out for $65. That said, I usually just take the cassette off, get all of the tree out of the backside, rub it down with a nice micro-fiber cloth, little compressed air and good as new.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

naked indian

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 03:49:54 PM »
Yeah, thats another part of the question.  How are you re-applying the lube/oil.  If I spray it, I usually try to pat it with a rag to sop up any drips and not leave it too oily, but it never works out...I ride and come home with my cassette covered in oily mud.  Or am I doing it right and just need to keep cleaning it often?

You need to get rock and roll lube or white lightning.  I dont recommend spray lube for chains and such.

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 03:52:41 PM »

Simple green regular is bad. There is an article out there somewhere, but the regular simple green eats bike parts. It corroded the heck out of my chain and subsequently within a two-day span, I blew apart two chains. I looked at them more closely and the links had almost melted away. They however did look very 'pretty' for a day.

Ah, just found it, http://velonews.com/article/9216.

Now I don't know if it eats cassettes, but I don't want to find out for $65. That said, I usually just take the cassette off, get all of the tree out of the backside, rub it down with a nice micro-fiber cloth, little compressed air and good as new.

Krunnch I dont discount your experience, but I have used simple green for 9 years and I can count on one hand how many chains I have broken... Ok on three fingers how many chains I have broken...  I tell you what I trust your word of mouth more than some study on velo news, we dont know what payola motivated the study.  From what I understood Simple green was suppossed to be very safe.  I wouldnt be surprised if it did corrode and eat bike parts, I guess, I mean coca cola will eat away at things and people drink a ton of that crap.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
Coke eats away at many things.... Not going there. Anyways, it could be I left it overnight in Tupperware? Almost 10 hours of pure simple green w/ no dilution.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Coke eats away at many things.... Not going there. Anyways, it could be I left it overnight in Tupperware? Almost 10 hours of pure simple green w/ no dilution.

Prolly... right... too much of anything is not good, at least thats what I hear.... I spray and wipe is my typical use... but I will defintely start searching for an enviromentally friendlier alternative.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 04:46:27 PM »
Being that I can't take my cassette off, I will look into an environmentally safe degreaser/cleaner and use low pressure water and then carefully re-lube.  Thanks for the help guys.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 04:51:42 PM »
Dawn concentrated liquid dish soap is a great degreaser and biodegradable. They even cleaned the oil soaked ducks from the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska with it.  A cassette brush with some Dawn and water and it cleans up nicely.  Don't lean the wheel so that it gets soaked into the hub, then rinse and dry it off with a rag.  Compressed air blowing in there can push contaminents into your hub.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 04:53:54 PM »
dawn, your soaking in it right now.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 04:56:55 PM »
No, That stuff's Palmolive.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 05:12:14 PM »
Awesome.  Already have some dawn at the house.  Thanks again.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 05:29:32 PM »
Invest in one of these - http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=8&item=GSC-1 -  and occasionally wash your bike with Dawn or some other detergent, and then spray some degreaser of your choice (I use a Simple Green foaming formula for bikes), let it sit for 2-3 min, scrub with the brush then rinse with water.  After that, bounce the bike around to get rid of water and then let it sit for a day or so to completely dry before re-lubing everything.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Advertisement: