Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New frame build up - to build or not to build  (Read 2576 times)

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
New frame build up - to build or not to build
« on: January 22, 2009, 06:28:33 PM »
In the next few weeks I will finalize all the parts for my new FS bike.  This will be my first FS bike as some have heard me talking about for sometime now. 

I am considering building it up myself instead of taking to the LBS.  I have always been very mechanically inclined in almost everything I do from cars, to home remodeling to anything that needs to be fixed. 

If I get my own tools will I need anything other than a chain wip, BB and cassette tool?  The only part I am a bit hesitant on is the fork installation/cutting of the fork. 

Some feedback on building a bike for the first time from all you vets would be appreciated.  Things to watch out for etc.  I am aware of torque settings for specific parts etc.  I know Park Tool as alot of good info as well for reference.

Your thoughts?
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: New frame build up - to build or not to build
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 08:45:31 PM »
Building up your own bikes is very rewarding if you ask me. It's even more enjoyable if you get some buddies together to help and then test ride directly afterwards. If you're not to drunk from the hanging out in the garage experience.

Other tools you may be able to get away without buying but will need to improvise (or borrow). If you buy all the special tools it will run you well into the hundreds.

Bike repair stand (ladder with 2x4's clamped to a high step for hanging the top tube on, or hitch mounted bike rack)
Headset bearing race press (wood blocks and arbor (hand) press, BE VERY CAREFUL)
Fork crown race installer (Wood drift punch and patience)
Steertube star nut setter (screw the bolt into it and drive in straight as possible)
Chainring nut wrench for the derailleur hanger (large flat blade screwdriver)
Steer tube cutting guide and hacksaw (black tape to mark it and hacksaw it while being held in the vise) or stack spacers under and/or on top of the stem and do not cut.
Derailleur/brake cable end crimpers (side cutters "dykes" being careful to crimp not cut cable end caps)
Cable/housing cutters (sharp flush cut side cutters)
Shock Pump unless you already have on for your front fork
Spoke wrench to re-tighten after the first few rides on a new wheelset
Torx bit for rotors if you have disc brakes
Pretty large metric hex "allen" driver for crank arms

1) Order plenty of cable housing because it is very annoying to have to run back to the LBS for a 6 inch piece.
2) Lube cable housings well bike cable specific lube or buy the sealed and lubed kind
3) Careful not to fray the cable ends as you guide them into the housings. You can easily ruin a cable by unraveling a strand.
4) Grease the BB cups to aid in future disassembly. Be aware of left and right hand threads just like pedals! If your BB has outboard bearings you have to buy a specific socket for those.
5) Order lizard skin frame protectors/patches to keep the cable housing from wrecking your new frames paint job. They also sell rubber guards that slid over the housings.
6) Check headset for play after initial few rides and re-torque stem cap bolt
7) Watch "Bicycletutor.com" videos to learn about derailleur adjustments. Or just have LBS do this cause it can become more trouble than it's worth especially on the front adjustment.

That's all I can think of right now.

Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 04:22:04 PM »
If you decide not to build it up yourself, and take it to a shop, don't take it to the one that is charging 17%  ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »
I have some of the tools you'll need if you want to borrow them - the external bottom bracket/crankset tool, a chain whip, and the socket for installing/removing the cassette lock ring.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 04:41:35 PM »
Alafia bike build weekend!!

Disclaimer: No warranty or refunds.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 04:45:16 PM by KRUNNCH »
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 06:09:53 PM »
If I do build it up I want to take my time, I am pretty meticulous and picky when it comes to stuff like this.

Thanks for all of the info and feedback.  I will think it through over the next week.
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 07:09:40 PM »
If you decide not to build it up yourself, and take it to a shop, don't take it to the one that is charging 17%  ;)
OOOH wait I know one that wont and has a minimal build fee  ;D

Anthem1

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 07:20:54 PM »
There is no freedom like being able to do your own wrenching. I to am very picky too, and know that no shop will be as thorough as I am on my own bike, they can't afford to. Do the build, the knowledge you gain will pay huge divedends in the future :)

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 08:32:03 PM »
You are correct the knowledge is wonderful,But to think they wont be thorough think again in no way will our shop jeopardize someones safety or wallet for a profit,Bent`s wants you to come back more than once did anyone ever check out the website yet?

Anthem1

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 08:56:37 PM »
I did'nt say a shop won't be thorough, nobody wants a lawsuit. I said a shop won't be "as thorough as I would be on my own bike". I

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »
I wish you could challenge me on this one  :)

Anthem1

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 09:26:48 PM »
Dude, give up. Tell me you don't feel the same way about working on your own stuff. A shop will not take the time you or I would on our own bike, car, home, whatever nor would they be as anal about every stinkin little minute detail :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:31:59 PM by Anthem1, Reason: mis spelling »

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 09:33:28 PM »
You just dont know Leroy,I am very anal about my stuff but Leroy has us all beat with the way he takes care of everyone else the guy is amazing,If Chris reads this he will tell you the same I hear Art is this way also,Not saying to go there but sometimes it wont hurt to use a good old fashioned shop,By the way they do not have a website,Just stop in and say hi  :D

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »
Who cares about being thorough! Just slap that thing together in an hour, hit the trails and make sure you bring tools with you to catch the things you forgot to tighten.  ;D
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 07:09:08 AM »
Who cares about being thorough! Just slap that thing together in an hour, hit the trails and make sure you bring tools with you to catch the things you forgot to tighten.  ;D

Isn't that why you always see a pick up truck following a bunch of harleys?

Advertisement: