Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: XC or All Mountain  (Read 2295 times)

Offline tlmason74

• First Bike
XC or All Mountain
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:12:44 PM »
I recently started riding again and am trying to get myself back into shape so I can ride Alafia and some of the more technical trails.  I'm trying to ride Flatwoods on weekends to build my endurance back up to where it should be.  I'm currently riding an old Scott Vertigo LSD but according to University Bicycles it has a crack in the frame.  I'm saving up to replace the Scott once that goes and am looking to spend between $1000.00 and $1500.00.  I'm not sure what I should be looking at since it's been about 10 years since I purchased my last bike.  I know it will be between an All Mountain or XC but don't know which way to go.  Any suggestions on one over the other as well as brands that will fit in my price range will be greatly appreciated.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: XC or All Mountain
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:26:01 PM »
I recently rode a Giant Anthem X3 that I liked a *lot*.  The only thing is, it's a couple hundred bones above the top of your price range.  Nevertheless, if you can scrounge up the extra, or can negotiate a discount you may want to take a test ride and try one out.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 04:37:25 PM »
if your going to do the more tech trails then stay away from xc cause they just aren't built for it. I already made that mistake.

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 05:13:14 PM »
I think it has more to do with what kind of rider you are than what kind of trails you ride. I consider my riding style to be more akin to a rusty machete than a scalpel, so I use my heavy trailbike even on what you might consider XC trails.

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 06:41:32 PM »
A good XC bike is plenty for just about everything that we encounter here in Florida, however; if you are the type of person that breaks things easily, all mountain wouldn't hurt.

Anthem1

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 07:13:13 PM »
Are there mountains in Florida ;D A XC specific bike for our area has many advantages, they are light weight, efficient peddalers and due to their geometry are great climbers and usually have around 4" of travel. A trail bike may be another option, they are a little more relaxed and provide an even smoother ride when things get ugly, and have at least 4 or more inches of travel. For Florida trails I would stay under 5" of travel. If you can wait, hit the Fat tire festival in Santos this March, there will be vendors from different vendors giving test rides.

Offline tlmason74

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 07:39:30 PM »
I like the idea of a more relaxed trail bike, I'm hoping to join SWAMP on some of their adventures up in North Carolina also so I would like to find something capable of that as well as rides in Florida.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 07:41:57 PM »
Definitely go with an AM then.  You can build it up somewhat light and still have that XC feel. 
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 09:53:20 PM »
What is AM and what is XC? They are just phrases coined by the industry. You can ride anything (just about) on a fully rigid bike. Not saying I recommend it, but it can be done. ;D

My main bike is 130mm front and rear, and weighs less than most of the bikes guys here are riding. So just because a bike is an AM bike doesn't mean it is heavy. Go ride as many bikes as you can, different suspensions fit different styles of riding. I can ride everything on my hardtail, but I can ride it alot faster on my FS.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 10:09:36 PM »
What is AM and what is XC?  AM = All Mountain; XC = Cross Country

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 10:13:50 PM »

I think that he was refering to the different designations, not the abbreviations. LOL!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 10:32:23 PM »
I've been riding a Giant Trance with 4.2 inches of rear travel for a while now. Before that I had a Giant NRS with 3.75 inches. They both certainly get the job done but I wasn't very comfortable with the XC feel while riding the mountains in North Ga/Tenn. My riding buddy has a Specialized Enduro with is more of a all mountain bike and he was just hitting anything that got in his way without the least concern. I kick his ass on the uphills here in Florda though because the Trance climbs like a billy goat.

I'm also young at heart so I like to hit what few little jumps we have out at Alafia. Once again I don't feel all that comfortable doing so on a XC rig. I love the Trance and have had a blast on it but I really wish I would have went with the Giant Reign to begin with.

My new (to me) Reign with 6 inches of travel should be heading my way as we speak. Soon as I get a few good test rides on the Reign the Trance will most likely go up for sale via this forum.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 10:58:17 PM »

I think that he was refering to the different designations, not the abbreviations. LOL!

Thanks. 8)

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline nick

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: MTB-05 Giant Trance /Road-2010 CAAD9-4 Black
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 06:58:48 AM »
Giant trance x five inches of travel do it all bike. My four inch travel trance has been through all kinds off terrain, lots of hard miles. Has to replace the bearings once in the last four years of ownership.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 12:02:40 AM »
My Rush has 4.3" of travel front and rear and I'll take it on everything at Alafia. It weighs 29lbs and can easily lose a few in the cranks and wheels/tires without sacrificing durability. I don't think you need any more travel than this to ride anything in FL short of cliff-drops.

My Furio has (or had, since it was stolen >:( ) only 3" of front suspension and I took it on almost everything at Alafia as well. I loved riding this bike on the jumps at the Vortex Pit. Nothing jumps like a HT!

My Uber-V will have 6" of travel front and rear, and should weigh somewhere around 27lbs. It'll be my bomber bike for when I want to go out of state and ride difficult, unfamiliar trails. If I'm on this bike, I'll likely be wearing armor (and needing it).

As you can tell, I'm a strong believer in all products Cannondale.

BTW: I bought all my bikes used, through the computer. Craigslist, E-Bay, and SWAMP forum. I got excellent deals on each one of them. I'd steer you in the direction of a Prophet if you want to buy a great bike ready to ride in this state and others.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Advertisement: