Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: need some advice..  (Read 1341 times)

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
need some advice..
« on: January 24, 2009, 05:42:26 PM »
Ok, I need some of you guru's to give me a bit of advice if you don't mind. :)
I am in need of a new bike, I currently ride a 98' GT LTS..it's officially a "vintage" and has been a ridiculously good bike over the past 7 years, I have owned the bike, riding much better than newer, more expensive rigs, that my friends have owned, but it's 2009' and 11 years is enough wear and tear on the frame, and I'm ready to retire it. My fork is blown, and being a 01' Psylo XC..bike shops chuckle when I mention rebuilding it...and in general aluminum fatigues over time, and while I have no signs of cracks or anything crazy like that..I don't want to find one either.

heres my issue, I am on a very tight budget, I don't have the disposable income to really invest in my bikes as many of you can and do, but I am far too addicted to riding to ever give it up, and the most I could probably spend on a new bike is $1500 or less..

I'd like something atleast comparable to my GT, maybe even a AM rig, but I'd like atleast 5" travel, and something beefy enough to hold up to being thrashed by my 220lb frame..

I found a Giant NRS-3 on Craigslist.com for $900...My buddy got a 09' Specialized XC for just over $1500 after tax...

what I am really trying to get is the most bike for my money, I typically ride, Boyette, Alafia, Carter, along with flatwoods 2 times a week, so I need something light enough so as not to kill me, although unlike some of you guys, weight isn't nearly as important to me, my GT, weighs in at 30lbs..and still feels and rides "light" from my perspective..but I know with modern bikes, 2 or 3 lbs can be shaved from that and still have the performance of my tired ride...

so the moral is, what would you guys think would give me the most bike for my buck, and keep me on the red and black trails from time to time.
thanks guys...

when I get a new ride, I'm going to have to change my screen name. lol

so worth it. :D
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: need some advice..
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 05:51:52 PM »
Hey man, What size frame do you ride?

I know someone that is looking to sell a large 2007 Gary Fisher Paragon. Not sure of the price though. Send her a PM. Her name is megstr on the forums.

Later

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:07:41 PM »
large...I'm 6'2" 215-220lbs or so (give or take based, on fluctuating diet. :p)...

My GT is a Large size, and GT lists both 18" and 20" frames, but I'm not sure if one is "large" and the other "extra large"...I definitely send a PM to Megstr..thanks ")

zen.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 08:12:13 PM »
That Giant NRS 3 only has 3.75 inches of travel and is WAY overpriced. It looks like maybe 2001 model and the "3" was the cheapest of the NRS line. Most likely wasn't much over a grand brand new. I've owned three NRS frames. I bought a friend of mine one a few years back for $500 and it was an 03 or 04. Craigslist is both great and very risky at the same time.

Considering the economic times we're in you shouldn't have to shell out more than a $1000 for a nice FS rig on craigslist. Just have to be patient. I saw a Trek Liquid on there like a month ago for $800!!! Hydraulic disc brakes and only a few years old at the most. May be still listed and available???
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:19:09 PM »
That Giant NRS 3 only has 3.75 inches of travel and is WAY overpriced. It looks like maybe 2001 model and the "3" was the cheapest of the NRS line. Most likely wasn't much over a grand brand new. I've owned three NRS frames. I bought a friend of mine one a few years back for $500 and it was an 03 or 04. Craigslist is both great and very risky at the same time.

Considering the economic times we're in you shouldn't have to shell out more than a $1000 for a nice FS rig on craigslist. Just have to be patient. I saw a Trek Liquid on there like a month ago for $800!!! Hydraulic disc brakes and only a few years old at the most. May be still listed and available???

True, when it comes to purchasing "toys" patience isn't usually one of my virtues, lol..I wasn't really sold on the NRS when it first came out, things will be easier when I have cash in hand, of course, assuming I am patient enough to wait to find a good deal, My GT is more than ridable at the moment, and that makes it easier..but I'll certainly keep checking Craigslist among others, as I find them, I'll just come ask the concensus, their opinion...There was a nice 07' Specialized Epic, with a boat load of upgrades, but it was out of my budget, so I'll just have to keep looking. :)

zen.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »

Advertisement: