Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Road WTA for the first time today  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
Road WTA for the first time today
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:26:59 PM »
put in 18 miles at WTA today while trying to keep up with JDK. found out its only 15min from my driveway to parking!

not a huge fan of the named trails, but did like the fact you can get a good cadence going on the main loop. heartbreak ridge was interesting though, i think all of the roots in florida run through that trail, lol.

Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Anthem1

Re: Road WTA for the first time today
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 06:49:20 PM »
WTA is not as big a thrill as some of our other local trails, but like you said it is a great place to spin out some miles. It is also a great place to work on railing turns ecspecially the section inside of the the paved loop. Did you ride Indian? it can be fun, it was under two feet of water for the Squiggy last year, FUN :P

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »
You did a good job on keeping up.. Hit it once a week and you'll be able to keep a good pace without breaking a sweat. I wanted to call it quits about half way through the second lap though  >:(

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:05:14 PM »
I rode it for the first time today as well.  Did Grandpa, Palmetto, Hogwild, Washboard, Heartbreak Ridge, Indian, and Gator Bait.  I found the last 3 of that list to be the most enjoyable, particularly HR.  I thought the rooted sections on that trail were a lot of fun.  They're fairly easy if you go over them with some speed, but a good little workout nonetheless that requires a decent amount of concentration.  All in all, seems like a good park to get in a ride at after you drop off the family at Citrus Park.   ;)

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:53:08 AM »
WTA is not as big a thrill as some of our other local trails, but like you said it is a great place to spin out some miles. It is also a great place to work on railing turns ecspecially the section inside of the the paved loop. Did you ride Indian? it can be fun, it was under two feet of water for the Squiggy last year, FUN :P

yeah, i dont know what we rode. i KNOW we rode gatorbait, HBR and panther, but thats all i remember...JDK?
Joe

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 07:26:24 AM »
Gatorbait, Indian, HBR, and then rode main all the way to Panther.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 09:31:16 PM »
Ultimate WTA ride guide IMHO...

Hole in fence to 1st sand valley...ride crest of sand valley, snaking through the various drops cut into the east side of said ridge...Gatorbait (or Misery as an alternate) to indian..indian to techno pig to piglet..back to powerlines..to washboard to heartbreak ridge..then follow double track to Morris Bridge road cross over and hit the numbered trails...skip Panther..continue following the numbered trail until you hit the lakes and follow around to coconut grove...

around 20 mile loop, that hits the best of everything offered. :D

good workout to prepare yourself for the real trails at Alafia and Boyette. lol
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »
As I have said before Joe, that place will build your endurance and that will help you so much elsewhere. It is not the most exciting place there is, but the scenery is nice and the faster you get, the more fun it is. Once you get your wind up, you can easily knock out 30 or more miles in the time that it would take you to ride to some of the other spots and then ride an hour or so.

Heartbreak, Panther, Technopig, and coconut grove will teach you bike handling skills that will pay off elsewhere as well.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »
I like WTA it gives you a chance to really stretch your legs and keep a good pace while you rail turns and hit some nice rooty sections for some technical.  I've also become fond of the inner loop at Flatwoods, that seems to be the most flowy section of WTA.  I also hagve been playing in the sandpit at marker 5 from Hole in the Fence and if you look, there are some cool little plunges you can take there.

The trails could use a good rain though, they are getting a tad sandy, especially by Hole in the Fence.
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 01:46:52 PM »
All the trail systems in our area are great.  Variety is the spice of life!  Nice rooty section?  I hate roots!  Love a nice rocky section though.

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 02:02:29 PM »
All the trail systems in our area are great.  Variety is the spice of life!  Nice rooty section?  I hate roots!  Love a nice rocky section though.

+1
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 02:51:20 PM »

Heartbreak, Panther, Technopig, and coconut grove will teach you bike handling skills that will pay off elsewhere as well.

I have to ask where the technicality is in Panther, I rode it once and it seemed more like a sugar sand infested cut-across to Bruce B. Downs..I must have made a wrong turn, I've always skipped it after that one ride.. hmm? lol
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 02:59:16 PM »
"Panther" Doesn't actually start until after a good 2 miles of doubletrack if you're riding the main loop. You will see the sign that says Panther off the main loop, if you take that exit you will have to hit some doubletrack before you actually get to another sign that says Panther. As far as WTA goes it's pretty technical. If you don't keep your momentum and pick your lines wisely you will be stopped in your tracks before you know it.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 03:04:06 PM »

I have to ask where the technicality is in Panther, I rode it once and it seemed more like a sugar sand infested cut-across to Bruce B. Downs..I must have made a wrong turn, I've always skipped it after that one ride.. hmm? lol

You missed it.  It runs parallel to the sandy two track.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 07:26:07 PM »
yeah. panther is WAAY out of the way, lol
Joe

Advertisement: