Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: BIKE THIEVES STRIKE!  (Read 2773 times)

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
BIKE THIEVES STRIKE!
« on: January 26, 2009, 03:20:41 PM »
 Today a friend left his garage open while he went into the house for short while.

George is 80 plus years old and just purchased this bike about 4 months ago.

Please keep and eye out for this model bike, the chasing down and tackling of some one
on a bike like this is acceptable, especially if they run when questioned.

(The exception would be Marcia, she's had her Yukon about the same length of time, so don't hassle any short dark haired beauty's with a killer accent)

serial # is GK787766. The disinguishing feature is the non-standard
long STEM.Model is Giant Yukon FX, Men's Medium size, black and white color, also has a WTB saddle and flat pedals.

Bike was taken out of his garage today about 11am or so, near Gunn Hiway a few miles past Bush Blvd.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Anthem1

Re: BIKE THIEVES STRIKE!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:42:11 PM »
That stinks Frank :(

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:50:39 PM »
Thanks for posting. I've always had second thoughts about leaving my garage door open while mowing the back yard. I think I'll start closing it.

One thing I do to discourage thiefs is to remove the front wheel from all my bikes and hang it from the ceiling (my bike rack requires that I remove them anyway). If they have to figure out how to install a front wheel with disc brakes something tells me they may not be so quick to take one. If anything it gives me more time to respond if I hear someone screwing around in there. I think most people who steal bikes ride away from the scene. Couple of my bikes have the 20mm front axle so that should throw them for a loop.

Other day I was picking weeds in the front yard with the garage door open. Two kids in their early teens walked by but didn't see me behind my truck. I heard one of them say "damn, look at all that sh$t in there" (I have a bunch of toys). The other one mumbled something that I couldn't make out but by his buddies reaction I think I have an idea of what was said...... "bi*ch, I aint no thief". That just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:18:17 PM »
Some people just don't have any respect for other people's toys.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:45:17 PM »

Other day I was picking weeds in the front yard with the garage door open. Two kids in their early teens walked by but didn't see me behind my truck. I heard one of them say "damn, look at all that sh$t in there" (I have a bunch of toys). The other one mumbled something that I couldn't make out but by his buddies reaction I think I have an idea of what was said...... "bi*ch, I aint no thief". That just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy!

I recently had a very similar experience. I was at home in the middle of the afternoon when two young thugs wannabees knocked on my front door... woke my kid up  >:(... anyway, I opened the door and politely asked them to move along, as I was not interested in whatever they were selling. So, one of the kids mouths-off and start talking smack  >:(... I closed the door, went and put my daughter in her crib, and went to meet them out in the driveway (cut through the garage) as I step out of my garage door I see the two knuckleheads standing there looking at my stuff. Well, as you can imagine I promptly offered to remove their jaws from the skulls, and so, they moved on. The point is, I OFTEN leave my garage door open, but after my recent experience, and Frank's buddy having his bike stolen, I've decided that it's time to remember that we (unfortunately) live in uncertain times in which some individuals would rather steal than work to earn a day's $.

naked indian

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »

I recently had a very similar experience. I was at home in the middle of the afternoon when two young thugs wannabees knocked on my front door... woke my kid up  >:(... anyway, I opened the door and politely asked them to move along, as I was not interested in whatever they were selling. So, one of the kids mouths-off and start talking smack  >:(... I closed the door, went and put my daughter in her crib, and went to meet them out in the driveway (cut through the garage) as I step out of my garage door I see the two knuckleheads standing there looking at my stuff. Well, as you can imagine I promptly offered to remove their jaws from the skulls, and so, they moved on. The point is, I OFTEN leave my garage door open, but after my recent experience, and Frank's buddy having his bike stolen, I've decided that it's time to remember that we (unfortunately) live in uncertain times in which some individuals would rather steal than work to earn a day's $.

Sucks, but this aint nothing new.  Happened to us when we moved here in 1979, prolly the reason I didnt have a bicycle growing up.  We left the garage open and someone came and stole our bikes right out the house, while we were inside.

Needless to say I always close the garage when not in immediate use or there is no one in there at all.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »
thats funny, cuz my wife always gives me crap about locking up and stuff. like if i'm working on my car in the driveway and need to go get a part/tool, i'll pull EVERYTHING back in the garage, close the hood, shut the garage door and go...even if she's home.
she's often said "why do you think the world is out to get you" regarding those kind of actions. my only reply is "trust is earned, not given" and i'm not gonna leave my stuff out on a silver platter for some doofus to come take
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 09:36:16 PM »
I'm with you slowly. If I came back from the auto parts store to an cleaned out garage it would take me years to rebuild. I'm just not prepared to deal with that so I try to take measures to avoid it. If I found the person in the act I'm really afraid of what I'd do.

And MT, I got hit with the magazine subscription scam the other day. Early 20 something girl shows up all excited about a trip to Mexico if she can sell a certain number of way overpriced magazine subscriptions. This girl had her sales speach down to the T. She had a come back for any concern that I brought up and tried to throw me off by acting really excited with high fives and all, no kidding (she acted like she was on speed). I actually wanted one of the magazines on her list but when I found out that I had to pay her cash only I started to back up a bit figuring I'd never see said magazine. I told her I'd just renew online and she could take the credit for it. Of course this wasn't working for her and she started acting more desperate. Finially I told her this was just to sketchy for me so I have to decline. Sure as hell the attitude started. She made a comment like "well thanks a lot" or something like that. Then when I told her I REALLY wasn't going to get a magazine after holding her at the door for 10 mins she turns around and starts mumbling what I assume must have been insults. I was certainly tempted to let her have it but I held back because I figured her life must be pretty jacked up to be doing this kinda crap. I'm afraid that if she was hot I probably would have bought the magazine but she was about 50lbs overweight and had several facial piecings. In fact she was a total geek and not the good kind like the lady on "30 Rock".

Headed straight to the computer a googled door to door magazine subscription sales and looks like for the most part it is a scam. Sleezy guys find a bunch of young people who often have drug problems, load them up in a van and travel around (sometimes around the country) using them to sell subscriptions which often times do not arrive at the homeowners mailbox. I read a few times that they only pay them like $10 a day plus a hotel room to share with others. They also may provide drugs in exchange for certain favors of the sleezy kind.

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 09:51:50 PM »
thats funny, cuz my wife always gives me crap about locking up and stuff. like if i'm working on my car in the driveway and need to go get a part/tool, i'll pull EVERYTHING back in the garage, close the hood, shut the garage door and go...even if she's home.
she's often said "why do you think the world is out to get you" regarding those kind of actions. my only reply is "trust is earned, not given" and i'm not gonna leave my stuff out on a silver platter for some doofus to come take

The world is out to get you, simply put.. You're smart to not test how crappy mankind can be because you'll be surprised every time.

^Me, while riding a Turner.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 11:58:03 PM »

my next statement, would have been "you should see the toy, I have in a holster in my waist band."

you guys are just plain more level-headed than I am. :p
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 10:07:10 AM »
I had my '04 SOBE-edition Cannonale Furio stolen off the back of my car at an Outback Stakehouse last Memorial Day.

My brother had his Trek Fuel stolen out of his garage a month or two ago.

I want to look into some sort of tracking device that I can monitor with either my cell phone (like, it sends me text msg with GPS coordinates), or something that simply homes in on it. I DON'T want it to call the police :-X
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:18:46 AM »
This is why I lock my bike to my car rack even if I am driving anywhere. Not to mention I use the thickest chain you can buy - something like 1/2" or greater thickness.

I even lock it up within my house. I lock it up to my weight lifting tree (390lbs) with the same chain. My dobie mix will take care of the rest..  ;)
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 11:26:01 AM »
I bought Yakima locking skewers for my fork mounts. I also put lock nuts on the back side of the bolts I used to mount them so someone couldn't just pull the entire mount off with a wrench. I'm considering putting an eye bolt in the center of the bed so that a cable lock can also secure the frames. It really sucks that we have to take such measures just to keep what we worked so hard to pay for.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 07:29:28 PM »

The world is out to get you, simply put.. You're smart to not test how crappy mankind can be because you'll be surprised every time.

thats just it, i wouldn't be surprised, lol
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline stumpy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog 29er
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 07:37:58 PM »
I use the locking blockheads as well. I recently added a cable locked down onto a tiedown mounted inside the bed. I take the other end and loop it through the frames with another lock. Great for camping or running inside a store or something.....

Advertisement: