Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Mountain biking on TV?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Mountain biking on TV?
« on: January 26, 2009, 05:17:59 PM »
Why is it that mtb'ing is hardly ever on TV? Is there a sports channel that shows races and what not that I may not be aware of? I already have FUEL TV but it is just snow,surf,skate,FMX,and BMX. You'd think they would at least add downhill to the channel since all they ever do is show re-runs anyway. These day's I would think you could see 24/7 footage (TV not internet) of just about anything you want. Same goes for Sat radio. I pay $15 a month for that crap and they don't even have a station that plays the specific type of music I like. Well, they don't anymore after the merger of XM and sirus. Now I've got 24/7 AC/DC in it's place  >:(
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Mountain biking on TV?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 05:50:37 PM »
XC mountain biking is boring to watch on TV and downhill coverage is hard to do right - you typically end up with 2-3 shots for the entire course which gets old quick.  Slopestyle and freeride stuff is cool to watch, but can get boring quickly as well.  The coolest stuff to watch that is bike related on tv is the various x-games type stuff - half pipe, street, and that crazy huge air comp.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 06:02:48 PM »
XC mountain biking is boring to watch on TV and downhill coverage is hard to do right - you typically end up with 2-3 shots for the entire course which gets old quick.  Slopestyle and freeride stuff is cool to watch, but can get boring quickly as well.  The coolest stuff to watch that is bike related on tv is the various x-games type stuff - half pipe, street, and that crazy huge air comp.

They have great coverage of the Tour D A Y France.  If they covered XC that way it might not be so boring.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »

They have great coverage of the Tour D A Y France.  If they covered XC that way it might not be so boring.

But people care about the Tour...not so much the WC or NORBA races.

naked indian

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:39:25 PM »

But people care about the Tour...not so much the WC or NORBA races.

I can usually stomach the Mountain top finishes of the tour, but usually the tour just puts me to sleep..... Now I like watching the Paris Roubaix, thats the only road race that I can watch the entire thing and not fall asleep...

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 06:57:10 PM »
I was in Wal Mart a few weeks back and for the life of me I cannot recal the channel, but they had a clip that was about some huge MTB race.  Started at the top of a mountain and then down, thru snow, mud, rivers, all kind of crazy stuff.  I couldn't really hear the details because it was loud in the store but there is a channel that has some on it.
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 07:05:27 PM »
It was a Megavalanche Race - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megavalanche

http://www.avalanchecup.com/

It is a race series that goes all over the world - very cool races.

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:51:50 PM »
it'd be cool if some channel could cover a mtb event like they cover rally racing, with a combination of helmet cam and various on course camera locations.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Advertisement: