Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: 2009 Ididaride recap  (Read 3520 times)

Anthem1

2009 Ididaride recap
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:00:32 AM »
On the ride home yesterday, I had a lot of time to reflect on a great two days of riding. After planning on meeting MT, Q and Tread 29 at San Felasco for a Friday afternoon preride, the rains came in Thursday and stayed :'( The ride did not look like it was going to happen. I hit I-75 North with visions of standing water and mud puddles but as I drove the sun came out in spades!!!! The intent was an easy preride knowing we had a 50 the next day. 22 miles later, the group was buzzing. The rain had turned San Felasco into Daytona International with not the first puddle :)After just two visits, this is my hands down favorite trail system, you are either climbing or decending here and the trails just flow so nicely. We packed up and headed further North to the banks of the Suwanee River and the Swamp gathering around the campfire at the KOA to catch up with old friends, Jack and Bud ;D The camp ground is in a great local to the ride. After watching the forecast temps for Saturday morning plummet over the course of the week, I was not looking forward to the first hour on the bike and upon rising my concerns were warranted by frost on my bike ??? Over at the local MTB headquarters, there was a nice little spread of goodies waiting for us and of course Karlos running around almost neeked :o dude its 20 degrees, put some dang clothes on :DI went with two lite layers and as the sun came out this proved to be perfect. I had not heard a lot about the content of the trail system around these parts and was expecting a fairly bland ride experience, boy was I pleastly suprised. The trails here are a combination of flat woods and Nayls trail at Santos, with the first and last section of single track being my favorite of the ride with a bunch of drops and climbs with one rooty drop that was just total Nar :o, the next to last section took us along Big Shoals where I heard a roar that I had not heard since my last White water kayak trip. Upon pulling up to a riverside vantage point, there in front of me in Florida no less was a river wide series of class 3 ledges that had me jonesing for my play boat :)this is a very impressive part of the river and should not be missed ;)after a great ride, I pulled my tired body into MTB HQ's to check out and get my ugly t shirt and dried out sandwich, wrong again. The ride shirt was a dark blue, performance material beauty and the sandwich turned out to be a voucher for a buffet dinner at one of the local historic B and B's. Full salad bar, Hot bar and salad bar :oare you kidding me? I almost felt guilty driving toward 75 South all fatted up :D This has got to be the Biggest Bang for the Buck ride going, Ididaride 16, 2010 here we come :)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: 2009 Ididaride recap
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:35:16 PM »
This was a great ride.  Temps were way to cold at the start, but by the first hour or so I shed a layer, then again after the first SAG.  Hah!  Three months ago I was dreaming of doing this ride and trying to get a convincing nod from the doctor that it was something that I could do.  I'm glad that I was able to get myself in good enough shape to do it.  It was a worthy goal.  I found out on the "steps" that I still have a ways to go before I can return to my former riding ability, but I finished it all in 5 hours 45 minutes including SAG stops and lunch.  The trails were in great shape - well, except that whoopy new section through the palmettos - but the rest of it was great.  I'm with Scott on the Big Shoals rapids.  The water was way down from previous years, but still an awesome little section of the river.  Gabrielle and I climbed down to the waters edge and were plotting which drop we would kayak and which boulder to dodge on the way down.  Of course with differing water levels at different times of the year it's never the same.  All of the SAG's were well stocked and the wine and cheese stop was cool.  Nice assortment of cheeses and good wine even if it did come out of one of those box things.  Good friends gathered around the Saturday night fire pit and traded stories of this ride and rides past.  Everyone seemed to have a great time on a chilly night around the fire.  It was good to see everyone there.  Even better to put some faces and personalities with screen names - which always seems so impersonal.  Wouldn't have traded the weekend for anything.

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 08:19:05 PM »
Ididaride was a blast! Can't wait until next year (unless it rains)  ;)

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 08:59:47 AM »
Shameless plug number forthousand and thirty.

Read my recap here!

http://singletracksamurai.blogspot.com/2009/02/fixed-gear-of-fury-chronicles-episode.html

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 09:12:49 AM »
Scott, didn't they make that one rooty spot a mandatory hike your bike this year?  The scenary on the ride is nice and glad you all didn't have the freezing rain and mud from previous years.  Is funny how all the stories from the camp fire never make it on public writtings :-) 

I guess the golden swamp trip rule still in full affect.  What happens on a SWAMP trip stay in the trip.   ;D

naked indian

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 09:16:43 AM »
Scott, didn't they make that one rooty spot a mandatory hike your bike this year?  The scenary on the ride is nice and glad you all didn't have the freezing rain and mud from previous years.  Is funny how all the stories from the camp fire never make it on public writtings :-) 

I guess the golden swamp trip rule still in full affect.  What happens on a SWAMP trip stay in the trip.   ;D

With all due respect, the bon fire activites I witnessed were pretty tame, not much to report.... Maybe the more they suffer the harder they party?

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 09:29:50 AM »

Yeah, it was a hike your bike, well supposed to be...even my Wife tried to ride that section...now she wishes she had seen the sign...

They need to paint the lettering RED so it stands out more...

All in all it was a great ride.  I agree...finsihed in 4hrs 20 minutes on the single speed. 32/17 was the perfect combo.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Anthem1

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 09:35:24 AM »
You had a great ride Pariah, was that Nasty root drop the walk your bike area? I rember there being a gravel drop and climb thru a dry creek bed with neon marking tape directing to one side on the next to last section? I thought maybe that was it, but saw no walk signs. I remember talking to you at the sag about the Vague trail marking on that section and how easy it would have been to miss a turn or two :)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 09:59:11 AM »

With all due respect, the bon fire activites I witnessed were pretty tame, not much to report.... Maybe the more they suffer the harder they party?

It was pretty tame - a few folks bailed and didn't do the ride - some of the regulars were a no show as well.  Although Forrest does try to get law enforcement or EMS involved whenever he can.  LOL    ;)

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »
You had a great ride Pariah, was that Nasty root drop the walk your bike area? I rember there being a gravel drop and climb thru a dry creek bed with neon marking tape directing to one side on the next to last section? I thought maybe that was it, but saw no walk signs. I remember talking to you at the sag about the Vague trail marking on that section and how easy it would have been to miss a turn or two :)

Naw, if you're talking about that section towards the end that was NOT a hike your bike...  this section, the one I mean is in the first bit of single track after the first series of fire roads.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Advertisement: