Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Adamo bike seats??  (Read 2012 times)

Offline moonbeam

• First Bike
Adamo bike seats??
« on: February 04, 2009, 08:33:31 PM »
Looking for a new seat due to medical issues with sciatic nerve. Found this website http://www.ismseat.com/products_peak.htm   With this to say about it: New for 2009!   Conquer the mountains, day and night, with this bad boy. The Peak is the product of hundreds of hours spent on the trail with several different prototypes. We decided on a shape that had a more rounded rear and a graduated slope. We know that trail riding is completely different than road riding. A trail rider is all over his seat. The Peak allows a rider to climb more forward to reduce wheel slippage and ride off the back of the seat for those tricky descents. More importantly, you can get back on the seat without catching your shorts! Uses gel and foam padding and CrMo rails for ultimate strength. The sides are reinforced with Kevlar.   MSRP $139.95

Has anyone heard anything about them? All I can find is people complaining about how long it takes to get use to the road seats.

Thanks, Stephanie

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Adamo bike seats??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 11:13:06 PM »
Everybody seems to have their answer to seat issues.  IMO Specialized did it best with their BG Fit.  What it ultimately comes down to is how do your sit bones - technically known as the Ischial Tuberosity - come into play with the saddle you are using?  Everybodies sit bones are different, therefore there are different widths of seats. 

Some bike seats are wide for wide sit bones, some are narrow for narrow sit bones.  You can't tell by looking at a person if they have wide or narrow sit bones.  Some people think just because they have a wider butt than the next person then naturally their sit bones must be wide.  Not true.  Biggest butt on the planet can have narrow sit bones. 

Go to your Specialized bike shop and ask to be fit for a saddle. Specialized BG Fit has an impression pad that you sit on for 5 minutes.  Get up, look at the impression left from your "sit bones" and add the numbers up; this tells you what size saddle that you need for your particular sit bones.  Simple, right?  There are different choices for road and MTB.  Hope this helps.

Offline bradluke0

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 10:54:28 AM »
Hi all !  I keep reading stuff about how a standard seat is not really good for your circulation . However , I do wonder if there is something to these seats of a " different " design . Cant really find enough info to know for sure .

Offline Rasterman

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:18:56 AM »
well its designed for mtb, i would just get it and try it out, if you dont like it sell it on ebay.  i wouldnt wait when dealing with health issues, adjusting your riding style may help as well, stand up more for descents, climbs, bumps and roots.  standing up for climbs isn't going to really help you climb better, but that is when you are going to be putting a lot of pressure on the nerve, and would probably help a lot if you stood up then.  if you have a hardtail you might want to get a thudbuster as well.
== A.B.C. ===

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:45:11 PM »
Stephanie
First thing welcome to the club. I also have tried the the road version I put a couple of hundred miles on it but could make it happen. But I bought it from the guys from university bike they a good seat return policy all i can say about that is keep trying them out till u find the right one for you. but U are better off buying from a local shop. as to your last post give boyette a chance this weekend U will like it for-shore there will be trail opening this weekend I think U will enjoy. ;D
Bill

Offline moonbeam

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »
Thanks so much, didn't know about the seat that leaves impressions, good to know.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 02:08:04 PM »
Stephanie,

I just noticed your avatar. Is that your weim?

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 03:21:05 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I have problems with my Sciatic Nerve too.  I think I am going to have to be "fit" as well.
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline moonbeam

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 10:15:50 AM »
yes, her name is Izzy she loves to run the trails with me

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 11:52:44 AM »
Cool, I have 2 dogs that run trails with me all the time. One of them is a 3 year-old weim. We'll be at Boyette this afternoon.

Offline Jason & Nancy Daniels

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 12:28:26 PM »
Moonbeam - I am riding on a pre-production Adamo peak (I also work at University Bicycle Center). We are told that the production models should be available by end of Feb. I have ridden a few different saddles, and so far, I like the Peak best, although the WTB Pure V was very comfortable. The main 2 benefits of the Peak are 1) it is narrower than most saddles, which means that I have a bit more room to throw in a little side-to-side body english 2) the back of the saddle slopes down, and even when I am wearing baggys, I don't get hung up when shifting my weight way back and forth.

Paintboy is correct about the return policy - you have 30 days to ride the saddle, and if it doesn't work, just bring it back... also - make sure to mention that you are in the SWAMP for your club discount...
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 03:54:09 PM »
Check out the selle smp's too I think they are starting to make some for MTBs as well.  I have one on my road bike and it is as comfortable as it gets.

http://www.sellesmp.com/en/default.htm

Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline moonbeam

• First Bike
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 09:02:25 PM »
Thanks for the input, I'll be in to Univ. Bike Center on Monday to look around. Also thank you very much for the input on the Selle SMP's.

Harvey- It great to hear you have dogs to run with you, I just tried out Boyette on Friday and both Izzy and I loved it. From what I heard from some guys on the trail, many people bring out their paw runners during the week. By the way their is a Weim meet up group here in Tampa that meets up once a month, it's on Meetup.com if your interested.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 09:40:42 PM »
Yeah, I've been seeing other dogs on the trail there regularly lately. I'm a member of the meetup group too. They're good people, supporting the rescue and stuff. I've never gone to a meetup because I'm always riding on the weekend. :)

Advertisement: