Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Initial Singlespeed impressions  (Read 5640 times)

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Initial Singlespeed impressions
« on: February 05, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »
Hey guys, just for fun I figured I'd put up a post about my initial ride on the SS Redline Monocog 29er I purchased from jmdeluca05 the other day.  Took it over to Croom and rode the north blue trail and did a search for the Drunken Monkey trail (which previously I somehow couldn't find).  Anyway, here are some thoughts on the singlespeed:
- Not a bike for the meek.  The Redline has a rigid fork as many of you know, and although it's great on the flats, the ole elbows (and other body parts) do take a pretty good pounding after a while.  The jarring also caused a little more soreness/stiffness this morning as well than I expected, although I did play a couple sets of tennis last night as well so that may be clouding the issue somewhat.
- 29er wheels are real nice.  I was very pleasantly surprised with how well they handled, and how smoothly they roll over a lot of varied terrain.  Did not encounter any issues with cornering that I've heard other people have had.
- Tire pressure seems to be key on a bike like this (certainly more so than on a FS rig).  The tires do absorb jittery terrain fairly well, however I can see that I'll probably have to play with different pressures depending on the location I'm riding.
- Some short steep climbs, I think are just going to require a dismount and a walk-up.  There were a few climbs on drunken monkey (i did end up finding it, more on that later) that are quite steep, and I tried 3 times on some of them to rip down the approach and hammer up, and there was just no shot.  So, maybe this is just part of the SS deal?
- Great acceleration.  There were plenty of less severe climbs that I was able to blast up with much more ease than I would have been able to on the Scalpel (unless I lock out the rear)
- Figured out what people are talking about when they say they "have more fun" on their SS.  It's kind of hard to describe, but I guess it's probably a function of being more closely connected to the dirt while riding.
- Probably not going to be something I can ride every day -- at least not without a shock on the front.  I'll re-evaluate this statement after a few more rides, but you do take a pounding (and the enduro damage on the blue trails doesn't help things) and being over 40, that's an area I've got to take into consideration.
- Very high-quality bike for the price -- even at retail.  Was very impressed with the bike...it feels like a better bike than what they're selling it for.

One more comment, and this may be something I should pass onto the trail boss, is I think the Drunken Monkey trail needs some work on it in terms of getting some more signs on it so you know where you're going.  Initially, the trail was very clearly marked, and I had no trouble at all, but then it started to snake around and the signs started to fizzle out and there were trails that were "under repair" I guess where they were logged off with brush to re-route the rider.  I tried to follow it, but eventually I ended up getting frustrated and taking a small trail I found that went out to Nobleton road, and never did end up finding the 8 mile bailout point.  Rode south on that until I found a spot to cutover to the Withlacootchee paved bike trail and took that back down to the car.  Not griping here, and am happy to help out with some trail work if anyone agrees, but this is the 2nd time I've ridden through this part of the trail and had to go with "plan B" so figured I'd mention it.   :)

Anyway, that's it -- very happy with the addition of the Redline in the toolbox.

naked indian

Re: Initial Singlespeed impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 04:25:40 PM »
Awesome write up.

Play with the pressure, get wider tires, wide tires help.  pedal standing up more, there arent many climbs I cant make on an SS.  Try a different rear cog as well.  Im a masher so I like a small rear cog, your miles may vary.......

And keep having fun.

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 04:28:03 PM »
Welcome to the club! AND... don't give up on the rigid fork right away.

Cheers

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 04:29:34 PM »
MMMM MMMMM...

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 05:09:49 PM »
Good read.

Your body should adopt to the new load and stress.
And yeah play with the tire pressure.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »
Awesome write up.

Play with the pressure, get wider tires, wide tires help.  pedal standing up more, there arent many climbs I cant make on an SS.  Try a different rear cog as well.  Im a masher so I like a small rear cog, your miles may vary.......

And keep having fun.
That might be part of it -- I've always been more of a spinner rather than a masher on the steep climbs, and rely a lot on my conditioning as well as line selection.  Might have to make an adjustment on the SS.  I just double-checked and the setup is a 32x20, which I think is Redline's default configuration.  Another complication on those sharp climbs I previously mentioned, was the sand factor -- they all had a lot of that to contend with as well, and I was over-torquing and losing momentum.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 07:04:55 PM »
Welcome to the club! AND... don't give up on the rigid fork right away.

Cheers
I won't!   I'll probably take it out again tomorrow for spin on north yellow and see if I can make it up Sugar mtn without any walking.   :)

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 07:06:59 PM »
Good read.

What kind of pressure do you like to run on a XC track like Croom yellow or the non-dirt-bike-ruined blues?

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:29:56 PM »
Good read.

What kind of pressure do you like to run on a XC track like Croom yellow or the non-dirt-bike-ruined blues?

Depends on your weight the pressure.  I run mines 30 if its a ride that is part road part off road.  But 25 if its all dirty...

In march I will have some free time, lets hit croom up sometime, 29er single speed riders only!  LMAO!

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 08:32:33 PM »
Good read.

Heck I just use to jump on it and stand and start cranking...Ya probably already know this, but on the rigid forks ya gotta not tense up on the bars, and make sure you keep the bend in your elbows.  I'm glad you had fun. After I get this 29err done, and my wife forgets about all the money I spent, I'm getting another one.  It will be another Redline......NO BUILD!!!! ;D

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 08:34:32 PM »
Good read.

Depends on your weight the pressure.  I run mines 30 if its a ride that is part road part off road.  But 25 if its all dirty...

In march I will have some free time, lets hit croom up sometime, 29er single speed riders only!  LMAO!

Hey how about me?  I'll remove my shifters!

Offline jrad

• First Bike
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »
29ers suck NI

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 09:16:41 PM »

I'd say probably around 180 on the weight, although I'm looking for that to be closer to 170 by the end of March.  A Croom ride sounds great!  Anytime you'd like to go just shoot me a PM -- I work from home so the schedule is pretty flexible.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 09:17:49 PM »

Hey how about me?  I'll remove my shifters!
Well, since it was originally your bike, you get a sponsors exemption.  :)

naked indian

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 06:38:24 AM »
29ers suck NI

LMAO.  Yes, they are slow turning, poor handling, slow accelerating, DANGEROUS MACHINES.

You can come JRAd, I would never leave you out,

Ok Single speed and or Geared ride bring beer date TBA sometime in March, not the first weekend of the month not the weekend of the 20th, some weekend in there.

Girls can come too.

Advertisement: