Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: I need some Headset Help  (Read 2143 times)

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
I need some Headset Help
« on: February 06, 2009, 07:53:16 PM »
I had my bike in the LBS for a tune up and got a call that my headset is toast and I need to replace it.  The bikes a 2007 Gary Fisher supercaliber with about 800 miles on it.  I bought it new last May.  The stock headset is a Cane Creek S1.  From what I can tell from the web, the bottom of the line headset for Cane Creek.  I'm not anal about my bike maintenance, but think I do an average or better job keeping things clean and rinsed after rides, etc.  Though the bike went into the shop dirty from last weekend's ride at Alafia.  I got the lecture - look at all that sand in the headset...  In the 10 months I've had the bike, it's broken my fall on a couple of endo's - if that may have any bearing. 

The shop has pulled the headset apart & says the bearings, etc. are toast and the headset needs to be replaced because it's not a sealed headset with replacable bearings, etc.  & if I don't do it I'm going to trash the fork, etc.  The Cane Creek website says the S1 is a sealed headset.  Maybe the current one is - but the one used on the 2007 isn't??

Am I getting the straight scoop from my shop?  Any chance the headset is covered under the warranty for the bike?  Assuming now's a good chance to upgrade my headset - what's a good mid-level replacement that my shop's going to be able to get and put on in time for me to ride the Croom 50?

I'm going to have to decide early tomorrow what I'm going to have them do.  Your feedback could be helpful.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: I need some Headset Help
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 08:12:38 PM »
That's not unheard of.  Water and dirt have a way of finding their way into things.

Not sure about the warranty, but a decent headset is not that expensive.  Cane Creek S3 would be a good choice.  Unless you want to spend the money on a Chris King.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:38:51 PM »
Not knowing Fisher`s policies but I would think warranty here due to time owned and if shop did not try that route you may want to contact them yourself,Just mt thoughts

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:19:13 PM »
generally speaking washing your bike is one of the worst things you can do. The reason is that most people use too much water pressure and that forces the dirt past the seals. If you are gonna use water (and I do, but not very often, only when it is really looking mucked up) use very low pressure and try to wipe the dirt off with your hand or a rag rather than use water pressure to do it.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 09:47:58 PM »
When I had lower end headsets, keeping dirt out was a constant problem. I had to wrap those Lizard Skins protectors around the cups to keep them clean for more than a few rides. I eventually bought a Chris King and never looked back. There may be other good headsets out there, but I've never had a reason to look around after buying a King.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 11:52:29 PM »
Likely the warranty is only a year.  Lizard Skin wraps help keep the dirt out, but need to be removed and cleaned every ride or couple of rides as they trap dirt as good as they repel dirt.  Not getting water pressure in the area, just as you would avoid that in the hubs, helps the life of it, and periodic maintenance and greasing gives it more life too. 

I have heard the Kings are pretty tough to beat as far as all of that goes.  I have Cane Creek S-3's on my bikes and am happy with them.  I would stay away from the bottom line of them for off road use though.  If you have a commuter bike or something you bum around town in, the lesser ones should be fine.  In bike parts price pretty much dictates quality.

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 10:27:19 AM »
Garry is right.

But I think there was another question in your post.

If you dont trust your bike shop, working on your own bike is something every cyclist needs to eventually learn how to do and its very rewarding and not that hard.  Sometimes frustrating.  Curse words can happen.

Buy a headset, slap it on.  Ask for help if you need it.

Correct me if I am wrong esteemed forum members.  But a well function headset, should turn smoothly with not the slightest sound of crunching or binding.

So if your headset is not sounding smooth and its binding its shot.

check it yourself if you like.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 12:30:14 PM »
Hate to say it, but I would truly put you towards the Chris King headset.  They can by a little exepnsive, but you can also find good deals on various websites.  It will forgo 99% of head set problems and it comes with a 10 yr warranty.  Its a 1 time investment that will outlast your bike in most cases.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 02:46:29 PM »
Thanks for the feedback gang.  Shop's going to throw a S3 on first of next week so I'll have the bike back in plenty of time for the Croom ride.

I think the guys at my shop are good guys.  Have no reason to thing otherwise.  Just expressing a bit of frustration at having to spending some money that I didn't want to spend.  Oh well - stuff breaks & you got to fix it to keep riding.

Naked Indian - your advise is right on as I recognize I need to get some basic tools and learn to do the simple maintenance stuff myself.  When I do simple plumbing stuff around the house it always seems to take about 6 trips to Home Depot to get it right.  So the week before a big ride is not the time to start learning bike mechanics. 

naked indian

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 04:30:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback gang.  Shop's going to throw a S3 on first of next week so I'll have the bike back in plenty of time for the Croom ride.

I think the guys at my shop are good guys.  Have no reason to thing otherwise.  Just expressing a bit of frustration at having to spending some money that I didn't want to spend.  Oh well - stuff breaks & you got to fix it to keep riding.

Naked Indian - your advise is right on as I recognize I need to get some basic tools and learn to do the simple maintenance stuff myself.  When I do simple plumbing stuff around the house it always seems to take about 6 trips to Home Depot to get it right.  So the week before a big ride is not the time to start learning bike mechanics. 

The Mark of a true professional is first being conscious of the concept of timing.

Right timing is key when strategy is of importance.

Hope to see you at croom!

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 07:53:56 PM »
Bike's back from the shop with a new S3 headset and front shifting like butter now - apparently there was a problem with the original build that the LBS corrected to fix that annoying chain rub.  As other's have indicated,  a little self reliance goes a long way in bike maintenance - but we also need to support our local shops.  Croom on Saturday - pray for no rain.

Advertisement: