Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Heart rate  (Read 3139 times)

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
Heart rate
« on: February 07, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »
Good evening Guys
 What is a good heart for somebody 51 years old ? I got a Garmin Forerunner for Xmas W/ heart monitor it looks like resting rate is about 50 bpm but when I climb it can go as high as 198 bpm it comes down fairly fast within a couple of mins when i get to the top of a climb just wondering what u guys are running max heart rate.
 Thanks for the help
     Bill

PS Its saturday nite. thats all I have to say about that. ;D ;D

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
Re: Heart rate
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »
As a general rule your max heart rate should be 220-(your age).  For your age 198 seems a little high, but it might be a misread in the forerunner.  You have to remember the forerunner is a GPS first and heart rate monitor second.  It probably is not as realiable as a pure hr monitor. That being said my forerunner 305 has been unbelievably accurate for me. If it is giving you an accurate reading you might want to see a doctor before continuing an exercise program.  Just to be on the safe side.  Also 50 bpm resting is very good.
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 05:45:13 AM »
Good evening Guys
 What is a good heart for somebody 51 years old ? I got a Garmin Forerunner for Xmas W/ heart monitor it looks like resting rate is about 50 bpm but when I climb it can go as high as 198 bpm it comes down fairly fast within a couple of mins when i get to the top of a climb just wondering what u guys are running max heart rate.
 Thanks for the help
     Bill

PS Its saturday nite. thats all I have to say about that. ;D ;D

[/quote]
As a general rule your max heart rate should be 220-(your age).  For your age 198 seems a little high, but it might be a misread in the forerunner.  You have to remember the forerunner is a GPS first and heart rate monitor second.  It probably is not as realiable as a pure hr monitor. That being said my forerunner 305 has been unbelievably accurate for me. If it is giving you an accurate reading you might want to see a doctor before continuing an exercise program.  Just to be on the safe side.  Also 50 bpm resting is very good.

I'm sorry, but I'm not a fan of those heart rate monitor's.  I heard of too many people freaking out about their heart rate going over their max.  I agree that everyone should see their doctor regularly to ensure they are healthy enough to exercise. In my opinion anyone who pushes themselves to hard would go over their max, and might want to slow it down.  Besides, between shifting, braking, roots, climbs who the heck has time watch their heart monitor......Jeez don't ya have enough going on.  :)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 08:15:14 AM »
I would listen to science over opinions - that is my opinion....lol

Offline bradluke0

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 04:13:42 PM »
Hi all !  Actually you cannot exceed your maximum HR. The rule of thumb is 220-your age , however , that is VERY rule of thumb . The best way to find your max is to simply ride or run as hard as you can or get a stress test done . If your heart is healthy you will not be in any danger when finding your max . When I was 37 and running 40 - 50 miles a week , I would see my max go to 204 , my resting was 62 . For training purposes nothing will get you into better shape faster than using a heart monitor . Now I am 54 and my max has dropped to 185 ,  still higher than the rule of thumb , but still ok . After about 12 years of flying a desk I have just started riding and getting in shape again , have lost about 20 lbs and am using my heart monitor as a guide . The best bit of training info is your resting HR , before you get out of bed or move around take it about 4 or 5 days in a row , this gives you your average resting HR . If you resting exceeds this by 2 or 3 BRM after a good workout the day before, rest that day , you have not recovered yet . Hope this helps , myself....I stilll have a looooong way to go...........brad     

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys I do see a doctor every 6 months for my cholesterol. I have never had a official Stress test yet.But I did have have unofficial stress test on the new ridgeline sat morn. ;D ;D

Bill

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 07:42:34 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys I do see a doctor every 6 months for my cholesterol. I have never had a official Stress test yet.But I did have have unofficial stress test on the new ridgeline sat morn. ;D ;D

Bill

Yeah the old cholesterol check.  Surprisingly, I passed my last physical.  The Doctor did mention my weight though. Anyway, I just had an EKG done and the normal stuff.  I don't like the stress test though. There is one where they inject you and your heart races out of control....really freak ya out.  If I had to do one, I would go with the treadmill. 

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »
Heartrate monitors are a great tool. Just make sure yours is an accurate on. Way to many folks push themselves too hard and end up doing themselves harm, just to try and keep up with there buddies.

I say that you should use that heart rate monitor when you ride and do any cardio. If you are really hitting 198 then you are hurting yourself.

Like FactorE said, I am not going to listen to opinion here, I am going to pay attention to the science. ;)

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 01:42:04 PM »
I purchased a forerunner 305 a month or so ago and I love it!  I use it on my exercise bike for training, and also used it at Boyette last saturday tracking my ride.  What surprised me is that for most of the 3:40 that we rode, my heart rate was in zone 5 (calculated max HR is 187), and I was continually around 170 except during breaks.  I knew I was working hard, but I had no idea how hard I really was working.  A good HR monitor will definitely help you train better, and a built in GPS helps you that much more. 

07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline SubDude

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 02:41:13 PM »
I also have a Garmin 305 and love it.  I rely on HR extensively especially for long endurance events(i.e Ironman, 6+ hr MTB races, etc).  Anyway, one thing you need to keep in mind is that each HR monitor is different and can give you difference readings.  IMHO, you should not treat HR as an absolute but as a % of YOUR max on that HR monitor.  One good idea would be go do a warmup and then a 100% effort for about 5 minutes, this is your max HR.  Use that number on that HR monitor to scale your exercise accordingly. 
I have also found that you get erratic readings if it is cold outside and you are not sweating.  Uses the sweat as a conductor i guess so a good idea to wet probe more on those cold days.

Just my 2 sense.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 02:48:05 PM »
Wet probe  :o
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »
I purchased a forerunner 305 a month or so ago and I love it!  I use it on my exercise bike for training, and also used it at Boyette last saturday tracking my ride.  What surprised me is that for most of the 3:40 that we rode, my heart rate was in zone 5 (calculated max HR is 187), and I was continually around 170 except during breaks.  I knew I was working hard, but I had no idea how hard I really was working.  A good HR monitor will definitely help you train better, and a built in GPS helps you that much more. 

You were working tooo hard! If weight loss is part of your goal ( i know it is), than you want to be running an average of 50 to 65 percent of your max. That will melt it off of you and build your cardio!!!!

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 10:12:43 PM »
Yeah, I know  :(.  The problem is, on the fun trails at Boyette, my heart is racing partly from working the SS over the terrain, and partly the "oh *" factor of trying not to fall off the side  :D

When I do my training rides on the exercise bike during the week, I keep my heart rate in zone 3 for fat burning and cardio improvement. 

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 10:17:39 PM »
Yeah, I know  :(.  The problem is, on the fun trails at Boyette, my heart is racing partly from working the SS over the terrain, and partly the "oh *" factor of trying not to fall off the side  :D

When I do my training rides on the exercise bike during the week, I keep my heart rate in zone 3 for fat burning and cardio improvement. 

Either you need to slow down, or shift gears...... I can't believe that given your health issues that it can be good for you to be that close to max all of the time. I would want something bad to happen.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 10:20:36 PM »
I would want something bad to happen.

Gee thanks  ;)

I was surprised to see my HR in zone 5 so much.  I knew I was breathing hard during rides, but I didn't think it was that bad.

Luckily, with all the medical problems I do have, my heart is fine.  My resting HR is in the low 60's.  I've been hitting the exercise bike every day, in the hopes that I can improve my cardio and hang with my friends on rides.

Advertisement: