Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Watch out for Gregg  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Watch out for Gregg
« on: February 08, 2009, 03:10:19 PM »
So, I rode Alafia today.  Met up with jdk, Slowy and Tbalestrini around 9.  Rode a couple of trails and headed back to the parking lot a little after 10 to meet up with BillT and his friend.  While we were waiting on them to get geared up, we found out Gregg was on his way so we waited for him.

We hit the trails again, did Roller Coaster, Moonscape, North Creek and then decided to head to Gatorback.  I was following Gregg, and we come to that right hand switchback where there is the boardwalk around the tree to the right, or a line to the left.  I make the switchback, about to start hammering to make the climb and there's Gregg, stopped right in the middle at the root before you commit to either the right or left line.  It looked like I had room to go to the left of Gregg, so I attempt it.  I get about to even with his seat and realize that there isn't enough room.  I stop, unclip my left foot, go to put it down, and realize there's nothing there but air.  Oh Sh%#!  Down I go.  As I'm falling over the edge, my right foot comes unclipped and I still have a hold on the handlebars of my bike.  I hit the ground, begin to slide on my left side, and slam into a tree a few feet down.  I'm glad I had my Camelbak on.  It took the brunt of the impact and probably saved my back from a nasty scratch or gash. 

So here I am, laying against the tree, my bike on top of me, and I'm thinking "Damn, that sucked!"  I'm not even sure who climbed down and pulled the bike off of me, might have been Gregg.  Bill's friend Nick helped me up.  It all happened so fast, I can't remember if Gregg bumped into me while I was unclipping or not. 

Shortly after that, part of Gregg's XTR rear derailleur broke, and he had to call it a day, so maybe it was karma paying him back?  LOL.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 03:24:26 PM by übermensch »
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Anthem1

Re: Watch out for Gregg
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 03:23:13 PM »
Gregg is very sensitive about not being in front, pass at your own risk :D

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 03:28:21 PM »
I learned that lesson the hard way today!  ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »
Another deraileur??  Dude quite buying the XTR and stick with the XT or even better X9
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 03:54:42 PM »
X-7 so you don't care when it breaks :)

I think everyone had a good ride out there today.  I was surprised to make all but the last hard climb in Gatorback with the big bike and I think everyone (minus Gregg) was happy with how things went at Alafia today.  If I could only managed to pedal my Intense as well as I do the Blur, I don't think I'd ride anything else.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Barb S

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 05:22:07 PM »
I got a brand new XTR derailler for 110 dollars (that's 70 off retail). Still in the box.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:46:32 PM »
Since Gregg isn't here to defend himself I feel that I am obliged to do so.

1. Scott, I wasn't in front in this incident. In fact I was second to last. When I was in front today, I was WAY in front.....I felt great on the bike today. Probably because I slept in!

2. Dan, It was the same derailuer. To be clear it was damaged by a stick that was large enough in diameter getting in there to stop me and send me off of the bike while running at about 13 or 14 mph. You were there you saw it. We (my lbs) believed that the cracks in the carbon fiber were superficial and would not effect performance. Clearly WE were wrong. The XT (shadow) is a great derailuer and I will be running it for a while, I will eventually replace the part that is broken and it will be good as new. I don't care for the feel of the SRAM stuff. Just a personal preference.

3. Uberdude, I must say it was a pleasure to meet you today. That bike is a pretty machine. As far as 'the incident' is concerned, I hadn't been on that trail in a while and frankly blew the turn. I stopped at the top, and I think that you tapped me as you went to go around. It was surreal watching you go down. It was in slow motion. I thought and then you said it, 'thank god for that tree'. It was me that picked up your bike. I think that maybe you should try bubble wrap. 

4. The best part of that trail today, was me finally getting up that big ass climb. Now that I know how to do it, I expect to be able to in the future.

5. Gatorback really brings out the best in Bill. On that big ass Intense, he cranked through.

6. Barb, I appreciate it, but the carbon part is 60 bucks and I have the one that full retail is 250.00. So it will be worth it to fix it. It has already given me almost 2700 miles of crisp shifting, I will stick with it after a breif hiatus.

7. Bill the only real reason that I cared today, since I had a spare derailuer is that it cut the ride a little shorter than I would have hoped.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 06:58:06 AM »
I always get frustrated when a ride gets cut short due to a mechanical or ill-performing bike.  I'm glad everyone had a great time out there and it was nice seeing Joe attack more stuff - he's getting his confidence back.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 07:46:46 AM »
I think that maybe you should try bubble wrap. 

I'm fat...I don't need bubble wrap  ;D  Maybe I'll get some and wrap around that tree I slammed into. 

It was nice meeting you and riding with you though.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 10:56:22 AM »
Sorry I missed all that excitement but I was out in front making all the climbs (except the last) on the big bike :)  I guess the next step is making everything without stopping.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 12:01:45 PM »
I think that maybe you should try bubble wrap. 

I'm fat...I don't need bubble wrap  ;D  Maybe I'll get some and wrap around that tree I slammed into. 

It was nice meeting you and riding with you though.

'Thank god for that tree!' That just cracks me up every time I think of it!!! ;D :D

Offline Birdlegs

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Niner Jet 9
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 07:11:36 PM »
übermensch, did you wreck this past weekend?? Were there any women around? We missed you Sunday.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 07:19:38 PM »
I didn't just wreck, I was pushed off of the ridge.  ;)

Unfortunately, no women around for me to grab their butt and try to catch my fall.  :'(
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 11:06:30 AM »
I didn't just wreck, I was pushed off of the ridge.  ;)

Unfortunately, no women around for me to grab their butt and try to catch my fall.  :'(

LMAO!!!!

Advertisement: