Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Single Speed revolution  (Read 1555 times)

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
Single Speed revolution
« on: February 10, 2009, 07:40:43 PM »
I am thinking about joining the single speed revolution also as a little change up. can I convert my ole steel Ritchey to a single speed? And should I go single or fixed

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Re: Single Speed revolution
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 08:22:05 PM »
Since you have v-braks you would be a good candidate for a flip-flop hub (SS on the one side and fixie on the other).  This way you could experiment with fixie off-roading but not have to be 100% commited.

naked indian

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »
Since you have v-braks you would be a good candidate for a flip-flop hub (SS on the one side and fixie on the other).  This way you could experiment with fixie off-roading but not have to be 100% commited.

Alan gives solid advice. 

However, if ur gonna go single stick to freewheeling for now. It will be a very cheap conversion.

Fixed is beautiful, but I could see where someone can get mangled.

And I love my fixed gear.

Btw my conversion to fix was a 30 something dollar investment.  A tommicog bolts on to where my disc would normally sit, reverse the tread and im all set.  O and take off that rear brake.

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »
Good advice guys but were do you get the parts to start this project. And do you have to change the rear wheel and why lose the rear brake NI? do you need a tensioner how does the front sprocket work?

naked indian

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:21:21 PM »
Good advice guys but were do you get the parts to start this project. And do you have to change the rear wheel and why lose the rear brake NI? do you need a tensioner how does the front sprocket work?

ok.
The rear brake thing forget about it for now.

take ur cranks off. remove all the rings.  move ur center ring to the outside.  U will need to get a single speed crank bolt kit.  then u take a cassette apart and use spacers to get the one rear cog u desire in the right chain line with the front.  try 32 x 15 as a magic gear combo first and u can finish the build with no tensioner.  if not just buy a tensioner on the web.  read the directions make sure its tight and make sure its straight.

hows that sound?

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 09:27:01 PM »
Yes I'm starting to to see it now my naked friend do local bike shops carry those kind of parts?

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:47:58 PM »
they should. callem try local.

Offline Birdlegs

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Niner Jet 9
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 01:15:32 PM »
The winterhaven bike shop carries alot of single speed items.
# 299-9907

Advertisement: