Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Panther s  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Robobiker

• Huffy Rider
Panther s
« on: February 14, 2009, 10:29:27 PM »
I saw 2 panthers today.  The first one was at Boyette.  It was about 60 yards up the double track heading toward Mt. Boyette, about 4:45PM.  The second one was being scooped off Big Bend Road by FL law enforcement.  Location was east of 301, close to the traffic light at the housing development. 
all those memories
 lost
   like tear drops in the rain

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Panther s
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 06:43:47 AM »
I saw 2 panthers today.  The first one was at Boyette.  It was about 60 yards up the double track heading toward Mt. Boyette, about 4:45PM.  The second one was being scooped off Big Bend Road by FL law enforcement.  Location was east of 301, close to the traffic light at the housing development. 

Very cool.  How big were they?  I've seen the one at Boyette once near the farmers field where the two-track does that "S" curve.  It gets reported periodically so it must have a fairly good sized range.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »
That is cool, I saw one at Morris Bridge several months ago. Very cool!

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »
When you say "scooped off the road" do you mean it was dead? I figure you did, but just want to make sure. Thanks

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 02:28:48 PM »
Actually heard from reliable sources who saw the cat on 301 and it was a bobcat.  Still hoping to get a picture of the one at Boyette.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 07:36:06 PM »
I've seen the bobcat at Boyette many times, but never the panther... Will the Thursday evening rides out there be starting up again soon?
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
I've seen the bobcat at Boyette many times, but never the panther... Will the Thursday evening rides out there be starting up again soon?

You mean Friday evenings.  I will be meeting the land manager about another issue in a couple of weeks and will toss that into the mix.  He had hinted before that we could look at it with the time change, so that is soon.

Anthem1

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »
Sweet

Offline Robobiker

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 10:45:29 PM »
The panther on Big bend was dead.  It had the same coloring as the one I saw at boyette.   It was a dark brownish gray and thin coated.  The one I saw at boyette looked about the size of a female Irish setter.  It was very lean  and its belly shimmered and swayed back and forth as it moved up the trail.  It certainly didn't look like a bobcat to me.  I've seen bobcats at Morris bridge  before although it has been years ago.

I guess that both the cats that I saw were located to boyette by FL wildlife mgmt and not very long ago.
all those memories
 lost
   like tear drops in the rain

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 07:22:36 AM »
The panther on Big bend was dead.  It had the same coloring as the one I saw at boyette.   It was a dark brownish gray and thin coated.  The one I saw at boyette looked about the size of a female Irish setter.  It was very lean  and its belly shimmered and swayed back and forth as it moved up the trail.  It certainly didn't look like a bobcat to me.  I've seen bobcats at Morris bridge  before although it has been years ago.

I guess that both the cats that I saw were located to boyette by FL wildlife mgmt and not very long ago.

The General Manager with Hillsborough Parks and Conservation Services says he saw the animal that was hit by Big Bend Rd. and identified it as a bobcat.  There is still the reports of "big cat" sightings at Boyette that everyone basically agrees it is a panther or resembles a panther, but no photo so far to substantiate that.  The County says "big cat" and believes, based on reports from the general public and their own field personnel, that it may be a panther - but no definitive proof as of yet.  I ride out there with my camera in hopes of catching it picture.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 07:25:50 AM »
Since I am in contact often with the managers of Balm-Boyette I can say for certain that if it is a panther at Boyette it was not located there by wildlife mgmt.  There are bobcats on the property, as you find on most open areas of Florida.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 07:45:20 AM »
There is also a cat that is bigger than a bobcat, but not as big as a panther, called a jaguarundi. I probably spelled that wrong. :) There has been one of those spotted at Carter Rd in the past, and is another possibility.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 08:00:22 AM »
Jaguarundi are reported to be the size of a medium to large house cat with short legs.  Whatever the cat of Boyette is it is considerably larger than a jaguarundi.  One day there will be a picture to study.

Advertisement: