Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: A question about gearing  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
A question about gearing
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:33:43 AM »
I have a Redline Flight 29er with stock SS gearing (32x20 I think).  I'm thinking of doing a dinglespeed conversion on it but I have a question.

How many teeth does it take to make a noticeable difference?  I'm really struggling on some of the climbs at Boyette and Alafia.  Will I feel a big difference if I go to a 22 in the rear?  I'd like to get a good idea of what gearing I want because its going to affect much more than just the one cog seeing how its a dinglespeed. 
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: A question about gearing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:51:37 AM »
whats a dinglespeed?

naked indian

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57:11 AM »
whats a dinglespeed?

its a two speed bike.

Ya well, go for it, 20 to 22 a tensioner should be able to cover that easy with the same chain in place.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 09:58:38 AM »
Dave,
I heard someone say one time that one tooth does not make or brake your ride.  But I disagree with that just a little bit.  One tooth does help a LOT!

The only time I've used the 32x22 combo was in NC.  I found out that my Redline Flight 08 (skyblue one) did not have the sliders long enough to fit such combo with the same chain I use for 32x18 here in FL.  You WILL have to cut two links off your chain to fit the 32x22.  With your situation, I would definately go with 32x22 for Alafia but only 32x21 for Boyette.  There are a ton of flats at Boyette that 32x22 will make you tair your hairs out from spinning so dam much.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:03:36 AM »
What I want to do is go with a low gear for the technical stuff, and a taller gear (taller than the 32x20 on there now) for flats.  I may be able to switch between the two without dropping the tire, but even if I do have to drop the tire, the flight has a QR so it won't take long.

For those not sure what a dinglespeed is, its a two speed bike, with a twist.  Basically, you have a low ratio and a high ratio, but both have the same total number of teeth.  This keeps the chain the same length so you don't need to move the tire or use a tensioner for the different ratios, just move the chain to the other set and ride. 

I really like SS, but Boyette especially shows the limits.  You can cruise for most of it, but need some good short gearing to make some climbs.  I don't want to have to mess with a cassette, derailler, shifter, cables etc.  So I'm going to try a dinglespeed and see how it works.

Does any bike shop locally carry a decent selection of SS cogs and spacers?

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:06:31 AM »
What I want to do is go with a low gear for the technical stuff, and a taller gear (taller than the 32x20 on there now) for flats.  I may be able to switch between the two without dropping the tire, but even if I do have to drop the tire, the flight has a QR so it won't take long.

For those not sure what a dinglespeed is, its a two speed bike, with a twist.  Basically, you have a low ratio and a high ratio, but both have the same total number of teeth.  This keeps the chain the same length so you don't need to move the tire or use a tensioner for the different ratios, just move the chain to the other set and ride. 

I really like SS, but Boyette especially shows the limits.  You can cruise for most of it, but need some good short gearing to make some climbs.  I don't want to have to mess with a cassette, derailler, shifter, cables etc.  So I'm going to try a dinglespeed and see how it works.

Does any bike shop locally carry a decent selection of SS cogs and spacers?
dave, i gotten all my stuff from AJ's.  The 07 and 08 flight didn't change the design on the rear slide outs.  You WILL need the tensioner to keep the same chain without having to slide your wheel forward or back.  Deending on which tensioner you get, you will need the derailler hanger from RedLine.  AJ's ordered it for me for my 1x9 conversion.  Good luck.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:08:38 AM »
making the chain shorter isn't a big deal.  I just need to do it once.  I just don't want to have to run a tensioner or derailler.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:19:11 AM »

Dave-How about getting a 30t chainring instead and reusing your 20t cog (almost equal to having a 32x22) and I have extra 18t you can have.

morisson

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:20:54 AM »
I'm currently unemployed so I'd like to do this as cheap as possible.  I was thinking of stealing the granny off of my old geared bike for the job, but haven't calculated the ratio's yet to see what's feasible. 

If you'd like to donate your 18T to the project, that would be very much appreciated!  What area of town do you live in?

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 10:24:17 AM »
If you'd like to donate your 18T to the project, that would be very much appreciated!  What area of town do you live in?

Wesley Chapel.

I am free after 6p let me know when and where you want to meet.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 10:25:21 AM »
OK sweet, I'm not too far away in Odessa.  Can you PM me your number so I can give you a call tonight?

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 10:28:15 AM »
OK sweet, I'm not too far away in Odessa.  Can you PM me your number so I can give you a call tonight?
sent

I would prefer to meet up at Sam's Club at SR56, if you are familiar with the area.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 10:29:56 AM »
Yeah, that's fine.  I'll call at 6.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 08:05:41 PM »
Definately talk to Chuck about his dingle conversion.  He did it really cheap (much cheaper than that Surly dingle one piece cog).

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 08:47:19 PM »
I run a 34x17 on a 26'er. As I understand it, a 29'er is about 2 teeth different in the back, give or take but pretty close. ;) Everything is makeable at boyette with your current gear. It may not be an everytime thing, but most of the time. I vote keep riding your current gear, that is the cheapest of all!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: