Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Fisher473

• First Bike
Hello all
« on: December 16, 2006, 08:32:14 PM »
Hello all, My name is Jan but if it makes you feel better you can call me John  ;D.
I just moved from Chicago to Florida about a month ago and I decided to leave snowboarding behind and pick up a new hobby. I cant afford a bike for $1000 at this point so I decided to buy a bike called "Specialized Hardrock". ( wouldn't mind  some feedback). I'm hoping to join the club once I get my bike.

Jan

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 08:52:59 PM »
Jan,
   Welcome to the area. Don't blame you for going where it's warm. I was born in so. Ill.( Marion), but have been here since 1 yr. old. The Specialized Hardrock is a great bike to start out with. That was my first bike getting back into riding again also. It's a good choice to start out with till you find out if you want to stay in the sport, from there you have  alot of options from upgrading your Hardrock or moving up to another level. Even if you find you don't like off-road riding it's a great bike you can  ride around town or whatever. Chainwheel Drive in Clearwater is a great Specialized dealer as are ther many other good bike shops in the area. I've gotten five Specialized bikes from them. As for the Swamp club you won't find a better group of people to ride with no matter what your experience is, they have a group to fit you. They also have alot of other functions to participate in. Looking forward to seeing you on the trails soon.

Ken
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 09:16:55 PM »
Hey Jan,
Welcome!  You've found a great bike club to ride with.  Out of four local trail systems we maintain over 100 miles of trails, so there is something for everyone.  Good choice on a bike too.  You're sure to make new friends who love to ride and enjoy other activities in the outdoors.  Hope you enjoy the sport.

Garry

Offline Fisher473

• First Bike
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 09:24:41 PM »
Thanks, I'm still pretty new to this hole thing. I'm still full of lots of questions, like in some instructional videos the riders lower or raise their seats before riding the rock garden or jumping over something. No clue why they do that but I'm hoping to find out once I get my bike and get out on some trails. Does this club ever go on big road trip like to Colorado to ride down some of the big mountains? Also will I be the youngest? (18)

I cant wait to get out and ride but it will be about a month or so before I get to go buy my bike.

Offline Manny

• Forum Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 08:43:53 AM »
Hi,

Im new to the tampa area too but i,ve been coming to Alafia trail  for quite some time, Also have ridden with a member of the club, this guys are the real deal  when it comes to the sport,and hopefully i will be a member soon.
About the bike Hardrock was my first bike it will outlast you, strong, the only 2 modifications i made was a better rear derrailleur, and a pair of clipless pedals. it tooks beatings from hell and it came on top , it was my learning bike and i still miss it.

about info try sheldon brown  site on technical (derr adjustment, and tech info) if you like to work on your own.
and there is a set of free videos  from 3 pro guys that will give the basics climb,jump,decent ect.. i,ll get back to you with the name or loc.  or contact me and  i can burn them to a disk and give them to you

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 05:15:18 PM »
Thanks, I'm still pretty new to this hole thing. I'm still full of lots of questions, like in some instructional videos the riders lower or raise their seats before riding the rock garden or jumping over something. No clue why they do that but I'm hoping to find out once I get my bike and get out on some trails. Does this club ever go on big road trip like to Colorado to ride down some of the big mountains? Also will I be the youngest? (18)

I cant wait to get out and ride but it will be about a month or so before I get to go buy my bike.

When you get your bike be sure to join us for some of our group rides.  One of the best ways to learn the trails besides working on them.  The first Sunday of the month is an Intro To Mountain Biking held at Trout Creek.  Register ahead of time for that as it depends on having enough riders tro have the class.  Then hook up with the group that you hang with until your skills allow you to move up and ride harder and try more challenging things.  Before long you will be doing just fine.  We do out of state trips - some recent ones...Lake Tahoe, Asheville, North Georgia, Tennessee, Telluride, Moab, Idaho...so yeah, opportunities to explore some great trails elsewhere.

Welcome, and hope to see ya' on the trail.  P.S. there are kids rides, so there are younger than you, but also others close to your range.

Advertisement: