Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Grade 3 AC Separation - Who's got one?  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Jason & Nancy Daniels

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
Grade 3 AC Separation - Who's got one?
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:27:11 AM »
Last week I took a fall - wrong cleats for the pedals  :o

Anyway, I fractured my right scapula, and I have a Grade III A/C Separation. This means that my clavicle is permanently removed from my scapula (grade 3 means that the ligaments are shredded apart - grade 1 and grade 2 some ligaments are still somewhat attached). Apparently it is fairly common, and does not necessarily require surgery - for more info: http://www.steadman-hawkins.com/shoulder_acSeperation/overview.asp. Allison Dunlop (sp?), a top XC female racer, had a grade 4 separation in 2003, but she was able to race the following seasons and did really well at the World Cup level...

So, I was talking to a fellow SWAMPer recently, and he suggested that I post the question... So, for the sake of curiosity, whose got one, what have you done about it, and how is it affecting you now?

As for me, I was able to ride a trainer 1 week after the fall, and I have pretty good range of motion. I will be going in for a two week checkup later this week, and I hope to get a bit more information. My doc said that I should be in good shape at the 6 week point (early April). I am pretty sore in the mornings, and I can lift my arm over my head mostly without any pain. As far as my fractured scapula - this pretty much heals itself in place. I used a sling for the first few days, but the doc told me to try to move my arm as much as possible (as long as it doesn't hurt). So basically, no off roading until April...

Thanks!
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Grade 3 AC Separation - Who's got one?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 12:55:53 PM »
I haven't had a shoulder separation, but have dislocated my shoulder twice (same shoulder both times).  The thing that I noticed was that biking was one of the few things I could do without pain.  I did lose some range of motion and I have a hard time sleeping on my side now - if I sleep on the side that I dislocated, it is uncomfortable and if I sleep on the other side, the stretching of the shoulder is uncomfortable.  You'll get through it and be back on the bike before you know it.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline David Metzendorf

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:59:37 PM »
I broke my scapula, clavicle and have the Grade 3 AC seperation.  I had to have my clavicle plated because with anterior and posterior damage I had no shoulder support.
It healed well and I have little problem with it.  I do "know its there" once in a while.  Good Luck and get back on the bike soon

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:36:35 PM »
Ouch.  Doesn't sound like fun.  I don't think I want one of those. ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:56:18 PM »
I've got one. My shoulder hangs lower than it should, and it clicks and pops sometimes, and doing some things over my head it will hurt. I can tell when it is gonna rain (along with my knees I have a pretty good barometer) also. Other than that though it doesn't affect much. When it happened my ortho told me to do whatever my pain tolerance would allow. I'm a flat rate diesel tech, so I do alot of work with my arms and I think that helped my out alot, using it so much and getting the strength back in it. I seperated mine on Labor day weekend 2 1/2 years ago, did a road ride the following weekend, and was back on the MTB the week after that. It took a few months before I could ride without pain though, pulling up over logs and hard hits were bad. Just take it easy, but push on the PT part as much as you can, and even after it is better keep working it. The stronger you make it the less likely it is to happen again.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 07:59:16 PM »
I've got one. My shoulder hangs lower than it should, and it clicks and pops sometimes, and doing some things over my head it will hurt. I can tell when it is gonna rain (along with my knees I have a pretty good barometer) also. Other than that though it doesn't affect much. When it happened my ortho told me to do whatever my pain tolerance would allow. I'm a flat rate diesel tech, so I do alot of work with my arms and I think that helped my out alot, using it so much and getting the strength back in it. I seperated mine on Labor day weekend 2 1/2 years ago, did a road ride the following weekend, and was back on the MTB the week after that. It took a few months before I could ride without pain though, pulling up over logs and hard hits were bad. Just take it easy, but push on the PT part as much as you can, and even after it is better keep working it. The stronger you make it the less likely it is to happen again.

Wish I would have known I was riding with a fellow diesel mech on that skills day a few months back. Then again, we probably wouldn't have got much riding done due to the bs fest. Let me guess, Cummins?
You've probably already figured out who I work for.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
nope, I work on Internationals (Ford). Big PITA because little truck guys are way to picky to be owning a diesel.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 08:42:35 PM »
I've had three F550's and all of them have left me on the road side multiple times due to those pesky heui injectors. I don't want to discuss who helped International design their fuel system  :-[

Then again, I also had a Chevy HD and it required a new clutch or at least the slave cylinder every 15,000-17,000 miles.

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 09:13:42 AM »
Hey, I too work in the Diesel world, but in sales. If either of you guys want to consider a change ( To a Cummins Distributorship) send me a note, we usually have openings for diesel techs.
Frank
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:16:03 AM by Redriderpro »
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 10:58:47 AM »
I'm still in the industry but no longer turn wrenches. Still a mechanic at heart though.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 01:08:01 PM »
I broke my clavicle a few years back. It completely ruined my male modeling career. ;)

Offline Jason & Nancy Daniels

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 03:16:58 PM »
My dog ran into me last night, and I grabbed something to keep my balance, and I felt crazy pain! It only lasted about an hour, but I figured that it would be better to rest it then push the envelope. I want to ride sooooooooo bad - I wasn't able to make it out to ride ridgeline, so I keep seeing people post about how great it is... man, I'm bummed!
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 08:02:30 PM »
Sorry to hear about the injury Jason. I rode Ridgeline 3 times today just for you.
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 08:04:32 PM »
My dog ran into me last night, and I grabbed something to keep my balance, and I felt crazy pain! It only lasted about an hour, but I figured that it would be better to rest it then push the envelope. I want to ride sooooooooo bad - I wasn't able to make it out to ride ridgeline, so I keep seeing people post about how great it is... man, I'm bummed!

I still have 4 broken bones and went to ridgeline anyway - I was too scared too really enjoy it because my doctors voice "don't do anything to stress your collarbone or ribs" was ringing in my head

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 08:08:50 PM »

Talk about being bummed. Think of all of the lucrative modeling contracts I have missed out on! :D

Seriously Jason, Sorry to hear that you are broken. I saw that I missed a call from you the other day. I will call you this week.

Advertisement: