SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 07:11:56 PM] BillT: and now unicorn puzzles

[Yesterday at 07:13:15 PM] Skinman: Sounds like my house.

[Yesterday at 07:13:40 PM] Skinman: only fish puzzles

[Yesterday at 07:14:06 PM] Skinman: They had to clean up the fort...guests this weekend.

[Yesterday at 07:34:42 PM] BillT: we finished up with the fish puzzle and then had to find the hidden numbers and letters in it

[Yesterday at 07:42:13 PM] Skinman: I get to escape...43 today...off to

[Yesterday at 07:42:26 PM] Skinman: thebeer garten with friends

[Yesterday at 07:42:47 PM] Skinman: Probably be useless my first trail work day.

[Yesterday at 07:47:43 PM] Paintboy: Beer garden ..nice

[Yesterday at 07:50:37 PM] Paintboy: skin just work with ken he will straighten u out

[Yesterday at 07:52:20 PM] Paintboy: or he`ll just leave you in a ditch.. It`s up to you

[Yesterday at 07:54:05 PM] Paintboy: If I wasn't going to the other coast I would have carpooled with U

Advanced search  

News:

Remember to login to view all of the boards and topics available to you.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Something has been added to Heartbreak Ridge  (Read 885 times)

jimn213

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
  • El Enmascarado de Plata
Something has been added to Heartbreak Ridge
« on: February 23, 2009, 08:44:49 AM »
Rode it yesterday, and I am going to assume that the modifications were authorized...however, that doesn't assuage my displeasure with the 'dumbing down' of one of the more entertaining trails in the WT park system.
Anyway, several of the really rooty sections have been filled in with dirt, in effect smoothing them out to the point of ridiculousness.  I almost fell asleep while I was riding it...just my 2 cents.

First we start losing roots, now this.  If this was not authorized work/'repair', then what gives?
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

SamW

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
  • SWAMPER
Re: Something has been added to Heartbreak Ridge
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 08:54:44 AM »
All,

OF COURSE IT WAS AUTHORIZED! Heartbreak Ridge was worked on yesterday under the direction of the trail boss during a scheduled trail maintenaince day. You would of known that if you had VOLUNTEERED to help.

Once again, 10% of the club helps with trail building/maintenance and the rest chooses to do nothing, but complain.

Thats my two-cents

Addicted to MTB

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:28:44 AM »
Most people I've seen riding at Flatwoods are not  thrill seekers so it's my impression that the roots being filled in will be a welcomed improvement for the typical user.

I'm lost as to why these roots have caused such a stur. I rode Flatwoods when I lived across the street from it, got bored quickly, so I moved on to Alafia, Boyette, Carter and Santos. Everyone I've ridden with hated that root section of Heartbreak Ridge. I can't say how many times I've heard "I wish they'd fill this crap in". Is this a case of please many, piss off a few?
Btw, is Flatwoods still being destroyed by hogs?
Well, at least I'll have cool scars to show my grandkids.

jimn213

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
  • El Enmascarado de Plata
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »
OF COURSE IT WAS AUTHORIZED! Heartbreak Ridge was worked on yesterday under the direction of the trail boss during a scheduled trail maintenaince day. You would of known that if you had VOLUNTEERED to
help.   
Once again, 10% of the club helps with trail building/maintenance and the rest chooses to do nothing, but complain.

Yes, I WOULD HAVE known it IF I had volunteered, but I DIDN'T, so I asked the question and expressed an opinion.

Last time I checked I was entitled to express my opinion in this forum without getting ripped by someone who doesn't even know me.  Thanks for the friendly reply...
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

eclark

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:41:33 AM »
The standard response to any trail criticism is always "do you do trail work?  then you can't complain." is bogus.  There are plenty of people who can't make it to a trailwork day but still donate their $$, is their opinion less important?  That being said, flatwoods is really the kind of place that filling(never ever cutting) in some roots may be ok just to aid flow.  Generally, the riders hitting that place are either new or racers, both groups have a tough time with technical spots, lol.  I used to ride this place weekly when I worked in temple terrace, luckily my work moved.  Jimn, sorry bro if this is the closest spot to you.

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
OF COURSE IT WAS AUTHORIZED! Heartbreak Ridge was worked on yesterday under the direction of the trail boss during a scheduled trail maintenaince day. You would of known that if you had VOLUNTEERED to
help.   

Yes, I WOULD HAVE known it IF I had volunteered, but I DIDN'T, so I asked the question and expressed an opinion.

Last time I checked I was entitled to express my opinion in this forum without getting ripped by someone who doesn't even know me.  Thanks for the friendly reply...

Maybe Jimn213 spends all of his time working at Croom, Carter or Alafia? I don't know this to be the case but you never know.
Well, at least I'll have cool scars to show my grandkids.

JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Habitual Line Stepper
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »
Ya know I thought something was different.  I came through there much too fast the last time I rode it.  I knew something was off.  I thought Heartbreak was supposed to be a "Very Difficult" trail.  I'm not going to question the decision of SWAMP to alter it, but shouldn't it live up to it's designation?  If people are complaining about rough terrain, they shouldn't be mountainbiking.  They can certainly still ride bikes though, thats what Flatwoods is for. :D

I say if we smooth out Heartbreak can we replace the wooden bridge with a jump across instead?
FrAnKenBiKe V1.0
---------MySpace---------
http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 02:16:43 PM »
I say if we smooth out Heartbreak can we replace the wooden bridge with a jump across instead?

I would not recommend a jump with the Frankenbike especially built by somebody whose name is Krunnch... ;D

KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Evil thread hijacker!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 02:23:47 PM »

I would not recommend a jump with the Frankenbike especially built by somebody whose name is Krunnch... ;D

Keep it up and I will take that bolt out of your seatpost.  :-* 
Catman: "[...] plan on poking a hole in Krunnch's fannybak so he'll dehydrate and cramp up. Gotta do what you gotta due when you lack natural ability."

BillT

• Has elite level athletic fitness
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 02:54:11 PM »
Come on...it is just a bunch of dirt over some roots.  Be glad no roots were harmed...

Meerkat Surprise

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 03:08:44 PM »
From the message boards:

Due to a combination of rain,hogs and wear and tear from bikes,heartbreak ridge is becomeing a tough ride.The soil has eroded,leaveing giant root balls.This Sat.,we will attempt to restore the soil to it's original height.

JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Habitual Line Stepper
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 04:25:04 PM »
From the message boards:

Due to a combination of rain,hogs and wear and tear from bikes,heartbreak ridge is becomeing a tough ride.The soil has eroded,leaveing giant root balls.This Sat.,we will attempt to restore the soil to it's original height.

/end of thread :D
FrAnKenBiKe V1.0
---------MySpace---------
http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

mksandoz

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 05:01:05 PM »
Noone will be complaining about the "filling in" after the SQUIGGY 6 HOURS
Owner, Jenkem™ brand energy drink
http://mksandoz.blogspot.com/

LTS guy

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 05:18:58 PM »
I just seen it for the first time today too, and my first thought was,
"who the hell ruined the trail?"
but then i figured, work that extensive had to be done by SWAMP, and figured there was a logical reason for it. I won't complain, because I do like being able to carry speed, and technical root crossings just aren't my favorite part of mountain biking...but I also believe the trail should live up to it's "extremely difficult" tagging. They wont permit us to build trails on the little bit of rolling hills, I've seen off the trail of several locations throughout the trail system...Not 200 feet from a flat sandy single track will be a 14 foot tall, hill, with various possibilities for fun, flowy and still relatively easy drops. I can only imagine the crazy restrictions that prevent that from happening, but that be the case, the roots are the only thing that give WTA any challenge whatsoever...I'd like to clear a low hanging, dead branch that jabs you as you go to hit the first little drop coming off Grandpa on the second sand valley. I started to pull it down today, but figured, I'd ask before, I go altering anything..But getting poked in the eye sucks..lol

For the record, I also seen a pair of people that had no buisness on Heartbreak ridge, I wanted to say something, but didn't know if, I should, there was a rather, "robust" woman, trying to ride a beach cruiser through it, with no helmet, a young 16 year old kid on a NEXT, who endoed going over a 3" root, also with no helmet on...his head missed a cypress knee by inches, and he jumped up laughing like it was the funniest thing..... ??? ....And I'd be willing to bet that if he'd have hit his head, and gotten paralyzed, he would have sued the county, SWAMP, me for being on the same trail at the time, NEXT for building the bike, Walmart for selling the bike, and he would have won all of them. :(

When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Garry

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 06:06:48 PM »
The rating is for the trails on an individual trail system.  So, what is very difficult at WT is not so much at Alafia or Santos.  The repair work on the roots near the bridge, etc., actually does bring it back close to the condition of what it was when the trail first opened.  Erosion and hogs made it what it was.  Rain, useage, and hogs will alter it soon enough. Without the repairs it would not have been used for the Squiggy race.  It is still considered a difficult trail and you can't just run through there not paying attention.  A lot of factors and input go into designing, making, and repair of the trails.  Land managers certainly have a certain amount of say, but the ones who give up ride time to continually go back and repair and enjoy their work have a bit more.  Building sustainable trails benefits everyone in the long run.  Florida's soils make for tough decisions.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 18 queries.