Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trail quaestion  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Fisher473

• First Bike
Trail quaestion
« on: December 17, 2006, 04:46:08 PM »
I have a question about the trails that this club rides (Alafia and all the other once).

Is it just a straight path with no jumps on the way or are there some decent jumps or little cliffs to jump off of?

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Trail quaestion
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 05:07:26 PM »
Alaifia has SWAMPS most technical trails.  There are not just straight paths to any of them, although within the trail systems you can find straight sections.  Alafia's easier choices would be River Loop, Rock Garden, and Sandpine.  Although, as with any mountain bike trail system, that can be deceiving.  There are places with big drops, hearty climbs, and lips to get air off of.  It's not a good idea to ride here by yourself.

Boyette has somewhat tamer trails, but then again, there are roots, switchbacks, and off camber trails that can keep you on your game.  In the East end of Boyette are the more technical sections of Abyss and Imp Gulch.  These have hefty drops and climbs that have good momemtum to get you up the other side.  Also good to have a ride buddy.

Morris Bridge trails are yet tamer, but then again the roots, sand, switchbacks make you pay attention.

Croom, with the most miles of trails, has it's own inherint issues to watch out for.  There are places to get air, but as far as "jumps"?  Hmmm, if you're looking for Free Riding you will find that at Santos near Belleview/Ocala.  Wear your gear.  Bring a friend.

Offline Fisher473

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 05:29:08 PM »
Bring a friend  ;D don't have any yet. Just moved here and I would make some in school most of the time but my first day of school is Jan 3rd.

I'm really looking for some nice riding but I'm crazy into free riding. Once I get my bike I will pay the club fee and will join you on any trail the same or the next week depending if I'll have any money for gas.

Offline Fisher473

• First Bike
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 05:38:08 PM »
Is this Belleview/Ocala

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 07:42:27 PM »
Uhhhmmm, no. Sorta , kinda looks like Utah.    :)
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Fisher473

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 07:47:58 PM »
Why does Florida have to be so flat?? ??? :'(
The trails need some man made jumps. Maybe a special trail just for freeriders...

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 07:51:49 PM »
Why does Florida have to be so flat?? ??? :'(
The trails need some man made jumps. Maybe a special trail just for freeriders...

Check out the T.O.E. maintained by the ridgeriders.  It has alot of freeride stuff you may like.  Its not very far from here and might be just the ticket . . .  http://www.ridgeriders.net/trails.html
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 08:56:46 PM »
Yeah.....if you could just remember the cover sheet for the TPS report that would be great...

SANTOS, aka the vortex or the pit...if you want jumps and wall rides and all that crazyness like riding off 17ft cliffs and 12ft doubles then you'll like santos..

check it out through the links on the swamp page....

-Bob
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 10:01:34 PM »
Also the Northport Trails have some of those elevated freeride trails that scare the you knopw what out of me.

"TPS reports" LOL

Got to run and get mine done!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 05:54:18 AM »
Bring a friend  ;D don't have any yet. Just moved here and I would make some in school most of the time but my first day of school is Jan 3rd.

I'm really looking for some nice riding but I'm crazy into free riding. Once I get my bike I will pay the club fee and will join you on any trail the same or the next week depending if I'll have any money for gas.

I don't know where you live, but if in the Tampa/Brandon area check with A.J. Barnes Bikes and Boards for some free riders.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 06:24:21 PM »
Fischer473, I think that you will like the trails around here. There are many trails with structure where you can get air. Once you are familiar with what Florida has to offer you will be happy with the selection . Every place is different. Give us a chance and you will love it.  Trails to try:  The Toe  - free ride heaven; advanced single track
                                                          Santos - free ride  heaven with big ass drops, miles and   
                                                                       miles of beautiful single track, lots of technical  trails
                                                          Alafia- good selection of  single track
                                                          Carter Road - good selection of single track
                                                          Boyette - Many miles of single track, technical sections are
                                                                        expanding
                                                          Morris Bridge - many miles of single track
                                                          Reddick - many miles of single track
                                                          Northport - single track with some hand built structure to play
                                                                          on
These are probably the closest trails around, sorry if I missed any. Sounds like you are destined for the The Toe.  Realy  good free ride stuff. I think they were given some national exposure/written about in one the magazines. Enjoy! ;D

" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Fisher473

• First Bike
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 06:41:35 PM »
I finally figured out that you guys got a lot more pictures on the website than the naked eye can see. And I must say I love roller coaster trail, only know how it looks from pictures but there are defiantly some places to get air from and they look very tactically and fun.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 07:20:40 PM »
Fischer473, is that pic you posted a place you used to ride? Looks like some single track around the lake shore. Sweet looking dirt!
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Fisher473

• First Bike
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 08:16:37 PM »
Thats Alpine something. I use to ride on a $50 huffy bike  ;D but I did have a great snowboard. We use to ride in this one forest not to far from my house and it was full of man made jumps. There was this one jump under a hill....the jump could of been 15ft high. You'd push your self of the hill and start pedaling to pick up speed and once you hit the jump you just start flying. My cheap and heavy bike got stuck on the jump and I was about 20 feet in the air with no bike. I landed on my stomach and once I got up my hands were littered with broken glass.

After that I stoped riding because I don't like to take out pieces of glass out my hands every time I crash and I dont liked the fact that I had a flat every 3 hours. Plus the same year they found couple of dead bodies there so I decided I would get into snowboarding. When I moved to Florida I figured it would either be surfing or biking. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 08:25:24 PM by Fisher473 »

Advertisement: