Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New addition to the family  (Read 1734 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
New addition to the family
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:33:36 PM »
2007 Giant Reign 2 (Euro version)
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: New addition to the family
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:00:31 AM »
Nice bike!  So with it being the Euro version does it have poor personal hygiene and a sense of cultural superiority ;)
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:21:37 AM »
Nice bike!  So with it being the Euro version does it have poor personal hygiene and a sense of cultural superiority ;)

LOL.

Nice looking bike
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 09:28:31 AM »
I've always really liked Giant's Maestro bikes especially the Reign.  Is this frame replacing your old FS frame or did you just add to your stable?

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 10:12:55 AM »

It's from the UK not france! Although I must say that I've been to France twice and have only had one minor bad experience with a airport security dude. The rest of the people were super cool and happy to see us.

This bike is to replace my Trance. I just hated worrying about the Trance when I'd want to hit one of the little jumps here and there. It's strictly an XC bike with 4 inch of travel and that's not really the kind of riding I'm into so it was time to lose some climbing ability but have a rig that I didn't have to think about and that was ready to go when I hit those downhills in Ga, NC, Tenn.
I rode it at Alafia and Carter yesterday and it was great to just point it where I wanted to go and let the suspension take care of it.I'm running my five inch fork right now but may keep my eyes open for a six so that it matches the rear travel. The lowest end Reign came with a five in fork so at least I know it's not totally jacking up the geometry.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »
I've been over to Europe several times and never experienced any issues either...just playing up the stereotypes for comedic effect :)  Though I would say that compared to London, Paris is a dirty, but pretty, city.

If you like to tinker, people have had some good experiences with gutting Marzocchi's 55 (160mm) fork and replacing TST with a shim stack - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=5284148

The '08 Marzocchi products had some QC issues, so they can be had for relatively cheap these days.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:35:29 AM »
Great info. I just realized that if I'm going to go to a six inch fork I'll most likely (should) have to convert to 20mm axle. There goes my XTR hubs that have been so good to me. Not in any big rush because I've got my Raleigh with seven inches front and rear. It's strictly a Santos and out of state bike though.

Btw, I was in London a while back and it was super clean compared to France but the passport control was an total nightmare. France basically waved me in each time without hardly even looking at me but the UK was almost unbearable. I was meeting friends in Germany but stopped off in the UK for a day or two of sightseeing. The passport dude really didn't like the fact that I was traveling alone on a one way ticket (open ended trip). At one point he was going to send me home. I talked my way out of it by offering to let him speak to my wife who just so happened to work for the airline who brought me there. They still detained me and searched my entire luggage. Guess I can't be to hard on them, they did have that subway bombing plus a large population of the people living there fit the terrorist sterotype.
In fact the passport agent fit the sterotype quite well  ;D

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:44:02 AM »
Weird...I've never actually spent more than 2 min talking with any of the passport control guys.  I was most paranoid going through customs in Singapore - even though I made sure I didn't bring anything even remotely questionable (like aspirin or gum) I had paranoid visions of it being in my luggage and then getting detained.  In the end, the guy just didn't really care and just waived me through without even talking to me.

You'll love a 20mm hub/fork combo - the added stiffness up front really helps with steering precision and makes it easier navigating through rough stuff quickly (not really an issue here, but can be if you go out of state).  There are some cheap 20mm hubs out there, but it would suck giving up an xtr but at least all the front hub has to really do is spin.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 08:21:48 AM »
It does have the sleek European look to it. 8)

Nice Ride!

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 10:16:46 PM »
Check out the Maverick DUC 32. It is a 150mm dual-crown fork with a proprietary 24mm through-axle. The fork has a set of quick-release catches for the hub/axle that make it a breeze to remove the wheel. It's also nearly as light as an alloy Lefty Max (140mm).

I'm putting one on a '94 Cannondale Super V. This was my inspiration:
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 10:32:55 PM »
Picture didn't show up. That fork is a beauty but super expensive for my liking. You say you're putting one on a 1994 bike? Wonder if Specialized using this fork on their new bikes? Saw a dude at Alafia the other day with one that looked just like it. Very sleek but had to do a double take to see if it was rigid or suspended.

Advertisement: