Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Santos impressions  (Read 3340 times)

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Santos impressions
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:38:41 AM »
    Morning guys.  Rode Santos yesterday for the first time so figured I'd do my usual writeup.  Also met some nice people on the trail there, including a couple of Swamper's I believe -- great day all around.

- Started by taking Pine Tree down to Cow Bone from the Santos trailhead.  Nothing much of note here -- Cow Bone was listed as an intermediate trail, however I thought it was more of a beginner ride.
 - Picked up Dr. Ruth and rode that over to Bunny, and rode that across 25th ave to the Vortex area.  Same deal here -- pleasant enough trails, but not really intermediate level in my book.
 - Next, picked up Twister.  Now this trail was a bit more interesting.  Flows very nicely, and you can get some decent speed up.  Also a few spots where you have to pay attention a bit.  Fun trail.
 - Next hopped on Back Door and rode this short red trail into the freeride area to watch some of the maniacs launch themselves into a free chopper ride to the nearest hospital.  There wasn't much to this trail other than the rocks you have to climb over (which they call a "qualifier" on the map) by the gate to get onto the trail.
 - Now is where the fun started.  Headed west on the IMBA red trail.  This thing was a blast.  I did walk a couple of spots, most notably the ridge ride that bends to the right with a *steep* dropoff on the left.  No thanks, I got a kid at home.  Also had some trouble with the bottom bracket on my Scalpel being too low which really hampered me climbing over (or attempting to) some of the rock piles on this trail.  Might need to get an all-mountain bike soon to handle some of the tougher trails around here.  Anyway, rode this all the way down to the southern end of the freeride area and although I wouldn't consider myself a tech expert, was able to ride almost the entire thing with the exception of 3 or 4 spots, so was pretty happy about that.  Also, this trail is a butt-kicking cardio/anerobic workout, which I liked a lot.
 - Next, headed back north through the freeride area and picked up Dog Bone back over the road onto the Santos section.  This was just an easy sort of recovery ride which was a nice break after the IMBA red.
 - Next took the Blue Highway over and rode another red trail called Anthill.  This was a very tricky little trail, and I struggled quite a bit in the early sections and couldn't find any rhythm.  About half way through I started to get it going though, and finished the 2nd half of the trail with no dabbing.  Tough trail.
 - Next hung out with a couple at the entrance to John Brown -- real nice folks, and they got me fired up to ride Boyette next weekend.
 - Another red trail, John Brown, was next.  GREAT TRAIL!  This trail ended up in a tie for my fav-o-rite trail-o-the-day.  This trail is quite hard, but has great flow to it, and was a really really enjoyable run.  Highly recommended.
 - Next, headed west and rode 3 more blues -- Canopy, Speedway, and Marshmallow.  Again, same deal -- these were more like beginner trails to me rather than intermediates.  Pretty good trails for family rides though.
 - Next I wrapped things up with another red trail called Sinkhole.  I actually thought that this trail was more of an intermediate level trail, although there was a rock pile at the beginning that is a little tricky that you just have to power over (I tried to finesse it the first time and had to go back and try again).  Not a bad trail though, and does have it's moments.  I'm guessing this is maybe a "warmup" red trail that's near the trailhead for people to get their legs going.
 - That was it for the Santos area;  next I took a drive down to the 49th avenue trailhead to try out the Nayl's trail that Naked Indian and a few others have mentioned.  This trail is excellent!!  For those of you who haven't ridden this thing, do it!  It's *really* long, and I actually ran out of daylight and had to ride the 2-track back to beat the darkness.  Great great great great flow and is an absolutely amazing XC ride for those of you who might like that kind of thing as much as I do.  There are some great little drops/dips and areas that require some technical ability (particularly at speed), and it just goes on forever.  I can't wait to get back there and do the entire loop.  This trail was a different type of ride, however it was extremely high quality and thus tied John Brown for the trail-o-the-day.

Back at the trailhead, I put 4 scoops of glutamine powder into a bottle of water and called it a day.  Next week I'll see if I can get down to Boyette. 

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: Santos impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:07:26 PM »
Santos is MTB Meca :) Nayls is XC heaven and a great warm up to Rattle Snake Ridge into Jon Brown topped off with a loop around the Vortex. That is a great days riding.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 03:43:51 PM »
The problem with most of the blues at Santos is that the masses have found the easiest possible ways around stuff. There are several spots that if you look for old lines, you'll see why they are blue.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:30:33 PM »
Santos is MTB Meca :) Nayls is XC heaven and a great warm up to Rattle Snake Ridge into Jon Brown topped off with a loop around the Vortex. That is a great days riding.
Yep, that does sound pretty good.  Probably need a couple refills on the camelback though... ;)

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:33:35 PM »
The problem with most of the blues at Santos is that the masses have found the easiest possible ways around stuff. There are several spots that if you look for old lines, you'll see why they are blue.
Hmmm, I never even thought about that although you're probably right.  Unfortunately as a result, a couple of the blues over there are real snoozers at the moment.  Twister was pretty good though.

naked indian

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 05:55:39 PM »
hope you come out Sunday the 8th and join Me and my wife for a nayls ride.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 06:33:08 PM »
Just treat the blues and yellows and means to get to the reds and you are all set.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 06:56:19 PM »

When I was there last time they were having some sort of cub scout field trip and "the masses" were riding all over the red trails on walmart bikes and worse with helmets running at 25% levels and trail clogging being at 80% levels. There were entire families out there pushing their bikes around. We didn't know what to make of it. It's like no one had organized the event and told people where NOT to go. One kid was taken away in a chopper that day.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »
I'm hoping to get back up there in 2 weekends...starting to get Santos withdrawal.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 07:10:49 PM »
Santos is just awesome. I purposely don't go that often so it stays exciting. Gonna get my fill in April with 3 nights of camping at the Santos campground.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 07:54:52 PM »
hope you come out Sunday the 8th and join Me and my wife for a nayls ride.
I'll be there!

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 08:03:10 PM »
Just treat the blues and yellows and means to get to the reds and you are all set.
Yeah, kind of a shame, but that's probably what I'll end up doing although like I said Twister is fun to let it rip on.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »
I'm hoping to get back up there in 2 weekends...starting to get Santos withdrawal.
What is your fav-o-rite trail there?

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
Santos is just awesome. I purposely don't go that often so it stays exciting. Gonna get my fill in April with 3 nights of camping at the Santos campground.
Camping and mountain bike riding -- it doesn't get much better than that.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 09:32:44 PM »
What is your fav-o-rite trail there?

My favorite is Vortex (good length has a bunch of challenging sections) but next is probably Rattlesnake (nice, slow, techy ride) and then Jon Brown.

Advertisement: