Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: gore tex bike wear  (Read 1558 times)

naked indian

gore tex bike wear
« on: March 01, 2009, 04:15:45 PM »
i would appreciate those who have used their products to tell me about your experience. need some good rain gear.  thanks..

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: gore tex bike wear
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 05:43:29 PM »
I have used a Goretex shell for snowboarding and can tell you they are amazing. They repel rain and snow but breath so you don't soak your clothes with your own perspiration. Check out Nashbar, they have some deals on gorewear jackets I have been looking at. They have true Goretex and another breathable fabric of theirs called Windstopper available for a little less $ :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:58:06 PM by Scott »

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 05:48:37 PM »
I've had a couple of gore-tex ski shells over the years, and they really do work well.  The cost however, can sometimes leave you with that "I just got hosed" feeling when you're leaving the store.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 06:55:20 PM »
Back in the day when I was into backpacking I only used Gortex gear.  That stuff is pretty good keeping you dry and it is works well for staying warm during a cold winter FL rain. 

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/

Offline Gough

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »
after riding in the Pacific North West, you learn what to wear in the constant wet weather, Gortex was the best thing to happen to clothing. we had fleece jackets with a Gortex wind breaker attached, worked great even in the coldest snowy wet weather. even tried the Gortex riding pants, we were dry!

get the Gortex, best purchase you will make for outdoor wear! if it starts to seep moisture through, tumble dry it on low to mid heat, that will jumble the fibers up and make it water repellant again!

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 12:29:15 PM »
There's a lot of new stuff out there besides Goretex that's probably an improvement. A lot of the new waterproof/breathable stuff is machine-washable and when it loses its waterproofness because of too many washings, you can wash the stuff back in with a garment treatment. I've tried it and it works.

Advertisement: