Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Busted Headset  (Read 3077 times)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
Busted Headset
« on: March 02, 2009, 09:26:40 AM »
I have been experiencing a nasty creaking noise lately and finally had some time to tear into the bike. This is what I found. How the hell does this happen?!? I'm guessing it was damaged during the assembly process. What do y'all think? The piece you see the damage on is actually upside down in relation to how it fits on the bike. Any suggestions on a replacement that doesn't cost over $100?

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Busted Headset
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:28:26 AM »
what kind of headset on what bike?

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:31:22 AM »
pic not showing

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 09:31:53 AM »
what kind of headset on what bike?

Here is a link to the product page. http://www.canecreek.com/zs-2-headset.html

It was on my Superfly.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 09:33:59 AM »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:38:06 AM »
if they installed it wrong, that should be a factory fix - you going to have it ready in time for this weekend?

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »
if they installed it wrong, that should be a factory fix - you going to have it ready in time for this weekend?

I agree, but they won't get anything done intime for the weekend. I'll have to have one shipped overnight. I'm not going to use that shop for bike work anymore. They have screwed something up every time they've touched that bike.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 09:43:32 AM »
pic not showing

Here is a link to the picture if it doesn't show for you.
[url=http://picasaweb.google.com/jeremyschroder/Misc?authkey=Gv1sRgCOfGi_m1oI6t8AE&feat=directlink]http://picasaweb.google.com/jeremyschroder/Misc?authkey=Gv1sRgCOfGi_m1oI6t8AE&feat=directlink[/url]

I have limited experience on headsets but it looks like this damage could only happen due to improper installation (I had the same situation with my older S3) where there was a slight play when you hold the front brake tight and rock the bike back and forth.

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 09:57:42 AM »

I agree, but they won't get anything done intime for the weekend. I'll have to have one shipped overnight. I'm not going to use that shop for bike work anymore. They have screwed something up every time they've touched that bike.

If they cant get it to you in time I got a CK headset I will sell to you at a reasonable price.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »

If they cant get it to you in time I got a CK headset I will sell to you at a reasonable price.

Is it an oversized integrated headset though?

naked indian

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 10:05:22 AM »

Is it an oversized integrated headset though?

O

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »
How long was that on your bike?  If it was brand new when you got the noise I would just take it back to wherever and tell then to fix that ish.  Otherwise, get a king and never ever worry about it again.  I have a a king hs in my garage that has been on 3 different bikes and is still fine.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
How long was that on your bike?  If it was brand new when you got the noise I would just take it back to wherever and tell then to fix that ish.  Otherwise, get a king and never ever worry about it again.  I have a a king hs in my garage that has been on 3 different bikes and is still fine.

Believe me, if Chris King made one I would get it. They are currently developing one right now but it won't be available for a few more months.

http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_inset

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 12:34:18 PM »
Is that the top bearing cap? Definitely looks like a botched install job to me - like somebody forced it onto the steerer tube wrong.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 12:39:24 PM »
Is that the top bearing cap? Definitely looks like a botched install job to me - like somebody forced it onto the steerer tube wrong.

Yeah, it's the top one.

Advertisement: