Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: High Blood Pressure and cycling  (Read 2496 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
High Blood Pressure and cycling
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
I just found out that I have high blood pressure - any body else dealing with high blood pressure and cycling?

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: High Blood Pressure and cycling
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 02:04:57 PM »
I just found out that I have high blood pressure - any body else dealing with high blood pressure and cycling?
This is a vast subject that I know a little bit about that may be useful -- how high was your reading, and where/how did you have the reading taken?

naked indian

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 02:06:29 PM »
This is a vast subject that I know a little bit about that may be useful -- how high was your reading, and where/how did you have the reading taken?

FE I sent you a PM. 

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 02:14:46 PM »
I had high blood pressure until I started riding more. ;D

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 02:26:07 PM »
I have a family history of HBP

my blood pressure was high when I started riding 2 years ago - my body weight was 279
I dropped my body weight down to 215 before my crash and blood pressure was really good
I gained 15 pounds from laying around after crash and blood pressure went up to higher than before I was 279

it was 150/96

that is from one of those machines in CVS

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »
I have a family history of HBP

my blood pressure was high when I started riding 2 years ago - my body weight was 279
I dropped my body weight down to 215 before my crash and blood pressure was really good
I gained 15 pounds from laying around after crash and blood pressure went up to higher than before I was 279

it was 150/96

that is from one of those machines in CVS
Ok, well the first thing I would say is "I'm not a doctor, so double-check anything I say".  I'm sure NI probably knows about this subject as well, so he's probably got some good info.

Stuff I've learned on this subject over the years, and some suggestions:
- First, determine that you really do have HBP -- a CVS machine is probably not the best way to get an accurate reading.
- If you had eaten recently, were walking around, etc, those could all throw your reading way off.
- Blood pressure will vary all the time, all day long, depending on what you're doing.
- The typical claim that 120/80 is the "perfect" reading is not true, and depending on a lot of factors your "good" reading could be higher/lower
- A paleolithic diet (and a few variations on that, such as Arthur DeVany's stuff) in many cases can nip this problem in the bud in a hurry
- Start reducing sugar intake and cheap carbs right away while you investigate things in more detail
- If you do actually have HBP, it's important to find the root cause and go after that.  If it's confirmed to be high, you may want to look into imaging or other technologies to see if you heart is clogged up to dangerous levels.  If it is, you may want to consider ratcheting back a bit until you get things under control.
- Buy a good, high-quality home electronic Blood Pressure monitor, and learn how to use it and take your blood pressure at various times during the day, and when you are relaxed (such as first thing in the morning after you wake up and before coffee etc).
- Read up on chelation therapy.  And don't fall prey to hard-line AMA docs who'll tell you that anything natural is "quackery".  Punch them in the face instead.
- A good common-sense doc on this subject is Stephen Sinatra up in Connecticut.  He used to write a good newsletter that was centered around cardiovascular issues etc.
- I would strongly advise against doing what I see wayyyyy too many people with HBP doing -- e.g., basically not taking any responsibility for their body, blindly doing whatever their doc tells them, and just taking a bunch of pills and continuing to do the same bad habits that caused the problem.  You don't sound like that kind of a dude, but just saying....

That's it for now -- as I remember more I'll probably post more links on the thread.  Hope it helps.

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 03:08:10 PM »
Wow, stonepony is spot on, cant wait to see this dood.  Bunch of us are camping at Santos, come join the party Sat night!

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »

well I guess this is the time to put that jar of Jenkem down J.

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 04:30:46 PM »

well I guess this is the time to put that jar of Jenkem down J.

LMAO!!!

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 08:10:48 PM »
From my experience, cycling is good BP medicine (so it cutting back on the alcohol)-

Been riding for about 6 months & cut way back on the beer.  Results were that total BP values were down about 100 points & I'm down about 25 pounds.  Weigh loss, healthier diet & excercise are all inter-related and a positive nobody could argue with.  I was all set to talk w/ the Doc about getting off the BP medicines & then we had a round of layoffs at work.  I've still got my job - but some friends got canned & the BPs back up.  So the take home message is - try to be healthy, stress less & ride more.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »
a week later....checked again today 132/90 waaaaaay better than it was

I can't believe how much cutting out salt and sodas and caffeine made a difference

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 03:24:36 PM »

I can't believe how much cutting out salt and sodas and caffeine made a difference
A good magnesium supplement may be useful as well.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 04:39:16 PM »

A good magnesium supplement may be useful as well.

I have been getting a lot of that from pumpkin seeds

Advertisement: