Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hello & I need route help  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Clay

• Huffy Rider
Hello & I need route help
« on: March 03, 2009, 11:29:41 AM »
Hey all, I thought i'd do a cross post and introduce myself as well as ask for a little help, and mostly thank SWAMP for all they and all of you do!

My name is Clay and I've been a Tampa native all my life. I have been biking since 2001. I use to call the TOE my home and rode/DJ'd almost every day while attending USF. I now ride almost exclussivly @ Alifia & Carter & have traveled to most of the trails in our state. I ride a rigid 29er SS & ocassionaly my GT Idrive. Most of the time I'm solo, but love to ride w/ my fiancee whos quite the rider herself.

I recently rode Boyette for the first time and was amazed at the scenery/trails/and more importantly, the hard work that SWAMP has put into the area.
My question is, "What is your route of choice?" I worked my way in a clockwise direction from W to N to E to SE & back to the trail head. Any suggestions? I had a great time and the flow of Boyette is amazing!

Thanks for all SWAMP does and I look forward to meeting all of you! Get out and ride!

Luis

Re: Hello & I need route help
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
Clay - exact route varies depending on my mood but a fun one I've been doing lately goes like this:

SST>Double Track> Loch Ness > Upper Loch Ness > Randy's Trail > SPider Berm > Golf Cart/Gator Pit (out and back) > Canyon > North Abyss > South Abyss (Exit at Pandemonium) > Pandemonium > Sidewinder >Swamp Thing >Ridgeline > Sidewinder >Swamp Thing (Repeat Ridgeline loop as desired!) > Woods Trail > East Meadow > SPur > Spider Berm > Randy's Trail > Upper Loch Ness > Loch Ness > Double Track back to car...

I'll do Ridgline a couple of times and depending on time and energy do North Abyss/South Abyss more than once... Print out the map and have fun out there.

Offline Robert Lucio

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 12:09:37 PM »
Clay,

I am not sure what other people ride but I usually do

Lochness, Upper Lochness, Randy's Trail, Gator Pit, Golf Cart, Canyon, North Abyss, South Abyss, Pandemonium, Sidewinder, Swamp Thing, Garry's Loop, End of Swamp Thing, Ridgeline (maybe a couple of times here), Back to South Abyss, Spider Berm, Randy's Trail, West Meadows, Baby Nessie, Inner Lochness, and then out.

I am not sure of the mileage, but I think it is around 15 or 16 miles, but I am not exactly sure.

Personally I am not the biggest fan of wood's trail or east meadows, but I think that is just personal preference. 

Offline Clay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:12:14 PM »
Thanks Luis!! That's pretty similar to what I did, however, I only went one way on most of the trails(Golf cart Gator pit). It was a club day so I did my best to stay out of the way of the large groups flow. Thanks again Luis Ill print this route out and try it this weekend!

Offline Clay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:19:52 PM »
Hey Jelloseed,
I'd have to agree with you on the wood's trail and est meadow, both were a little flat. I brought a map and a compass and when I came out of East meadow after woods trail, I thought I could go due north and connect w/ Spider Berm. I ended up getting a little lost and simply headed due west @ that point and hit red shirt. Thanks for the reply!!

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 01:18:32 PM »
Hey Clay I know your fiance from New World. Would like to meet up with you all when you guys hit Boyette some time. Post up when your going out there and I will show you around if you need it.
 Paul

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »
Harvey's route: SST - doubletrack - right on doubletrack to intersection of Palmetto & quadrants - left on Palmetto - Loch Ness (all the way back around to Palmetto) - Vista Ridge - West Meadow - Randy's - Gator Pit - Golf Cart - Mt Boyette - Canyon - North Abyss - South Abyss to Pandemonium exit - Pandemonium - Sidewinder - Swamp Thing - Ridgeline - Swamp Thing - Garry's Loop - Woods Trail - East Meadow - Spur - Spider Berm - Randy's - West Meadow - Loch Ness - doubletrack - SST - done.

I'll add to it by doing multiple loops of Abyss, doubling back on Pandemonium to take the other trail and reinforcing the perma-grin on Ridgeline. If I'm feeling like more tech I'll go down to Garry's Loop, but come back up Swamp Thing and Sidewinder to Abyss, skipping Woods Trail and East Meadow.

You can borrow my dogs sometime and they'll show you. They know the route by heart.  ;D

Offline Clay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 02:09:06 PM »
Hey Jonsey, we'll definitly let you know when we plan on hitting up the trail. I've been meaning to shoot you a message for quite a while, Wendy said she saw you the other week, I look forward to meeting you and riding! I'll keep in touch.

Thanks Harvey, I think i'm starting to see a pattern w/ peoples routes. What kind of dog's do you have? I have a black lab who would love some running partners. We usually take him to the trails across the street where we live. Swift Mud has a network of trails/fire roads called the Well Fields in Pasco county. I take Bones out there daily and I know he would love some new terrain.

Luis

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:12:36 PM »

Thanks Harvey, ... What kind of dog's do you have? I have a black lab who would love some running partners.

A weimaraner and a tasmanian devil / hyena mix (j/k we love the little bugger)

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 02:29:36 PM »
Those who haven't been bitten by the tasmanian devil love him anyway.  ;D  One of these days that dog is gonna steal the wrong person's sandwich and that's gonna be the end of the Wingbat.

Clay, they're my favorite training partners because they flat out motor through the technical stuff! They're good for about 20 miles in 2 hours and Boyette is my trail of choice. You don't run into very many people out there and there's good water sources for them to cool off.

LHP is good too, when the weather's cool and the gators are laying down.

Offline Clay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 02:37:54 PM »
That's great to hear Harvey!! Theres no doubt Bones is the best training partner I've ever had. Every day he waits for me to wake up & then he paces by my bike until we leave.

What lakes or areas to you let the dogs swim at. That would definitly be good to know before I head out there. After about an hour he sometimes just refuses to drink from a water bottle, so swimming would be perfect.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »
The west side is the best because of the creeks around Loch Ness. No worries about gators there. After that you have to risk the lakes. The only places I let them go in is at the end of North Abyss where the bridge is, and the same lake but opposite the doubletrack that leads to Sidewinder. Be really careful there because there is a big gator that calls that lake home. Mine listen to me (at least on the trails) and won't go in until I give them the OK.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 04:00:24 PM »

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »
The west side is the best because of the creeks around Loch Ness. No worries about gators there. After that you have to risk the lakes. The only places I let them go in is at the end of North Abyss where the bridge is, and the same lake but opposite the doubletrack that leads to Sidewinder. Be really careful there because there is a big gator that calls that lake home. Mine listen to me (at least on the trails) and won't go in until I give them the OK.
That gator is like 10 feet long; the "little" one in there is about 8 feet.  When on the hunt they are FAST.  Hope your dog can swim fast.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 02:19:59 AM »
That gator is like 10 feet long; the "little" one in there is about 8 feet.  When on the hunt they are FAST.  Hope your dog can swim fast.

ok that's comforting...lol
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Advertisement: