Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: "THE PLUNGE"  (Read 3659 times)

moleminiman

"THE PLUNGE"
« on: March 06, 2009, 07:09:05 AM »
So, if you have not ridden the new trail at boyette you definately need to!  I had to ride the little cross section called "the plunge" about 6 times before I could get myself to move on with the rest of the trail. 

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: "THE PLUNGE"
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 08:53:12 AM »
"The Plunge" is probably the biggest rush I've experienced in Florida on a mtb. Of course I never made it to the T.O.E or Razorback.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:51:03 AM »
It's definitely a nice thrill.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

moleminiman

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:54:34 AM »
razorback had something similar but nothing else around that has a drop like that.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »
I rode Boyette for the first time yesterday, and of course did this trail -- some of the drops are unbelievable.  Actually found myself braking a bit on some of the uphills ... lol.

Offline Reese

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 02:21:14 PM »
razorback had something similar but nothing else around that has a drop like that.

Which is taller?  The Plunge or Big Gulp.  I only rode razorback once and dont remember how tall Big Gulp was.

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 02:23:53 PM »

Which is taller?  The Plunge or Big Gulp.  I only rode razorback once and dont remember how tall Big Gulp was.

Have not rode the plunge, but the big gulp was tall, steep and had a very tight g out at the bottom, saw many a rider get eaten alive on it. 
How is the plunge in comparison?

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 02:27:03 PM »
Have not rode the plunge, but the big gulp was tall, steep and had a very tight g out at the bottom, saw many a rider get eaten alive on it. 

I'd say that both the Plunge and Big Gulp are pretty close with maybe a slight nod to Big Gulp for being a bit higher and a bit steeper.  The g-out for Big Gulp was much more severe than the Plunge which you don't really need to use much brake for.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 02:31:53 PM »

I'd say that both the Plunge and Big Gulp are pretty close with maybe a slight nod to Big Gulp for being a bit higher and a bit steeper.  The g-out for Big Gulp was much more severe than the Plunge which you don't really need to use much brake for.

I plan on hitting boyette soon to find out what the deal is with the new ridgeline thing.   PRolly PM on the 14th.

Offline obloguy

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 04:16:16 PM »
I used to travel up to Reddick every Saturday before its exclosure and this drop did remind me of that drop but more area (less tight) but without that hard technical switchback climb to get to that very hairy drop and off camber on each side that was called Big Gulp that was not put in the races but was there as a hard alternative route!
Miss Reddick alot but do not miss the long drive way up North. When in training, there was and never has been a place to train hard and not have to deal with head ons and have guys ball you out for riding the trails too fast wich have made me give up the XC sport.
If Reddick was still around like it was, I would still be involved in XC racing because the one way 10-13 mile trail was amazing!
Thanks Dave!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 04:20:26 PM »
...I would still be involved in XC racing because the one way 10-13 mile trail was amazing!
Thanks Dave!
Speaking of which:
1) How do you folks feel about making one way trails?
2) How do you feel about volunteering your valuable ride time to make it so?

Offline obloguy

• First Bike
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 04:33:23 PM »
As far as the best trails in Florida, the Swamp Club has done a tremendous job in this Ridge Line trail that it is tremendous that the thrill to ride this trail section and other parts of Boyette have just amazed me!
Have to thank the Swamp Club crew for a trail section that is the best 2 miles of non stop fun that i have had in a long time!

Offline obloguy

• First Bike
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 05:06:31 PM »
...I would still be involved in XC racing because the one way 10-13 mile trail was amazing!
Thanks Dave!
Speaking of which:

Garry,
If both of those are your goals, i will be there the next trail repair day.
I am all for safer one way trail loops if i can help.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 06:56:16 PM »
Thanks Dave!
Speaking of which:
Garry,
If both of those are your goals, i will be there the next trail repair day.
I am all for safer one way trail loops if i can help.
Edited:
We're waiting for the final OK on a parallel SST trail so there is one going out and one coming back.  Hopefully next week. A couple others may either get widened or split to accommodate two way traffic now that it has gained such popularity.  As always we need the masses to come out and help.  If one can ride the trail one can help make it, or make it better.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:12:31 PM by Garry »

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 09:24:09 PM »
For those who have not had the priveledge of riding it, Hairy Scary at Ft. Meade is taller, longer, and steeper by at least 50% than the plunge. Standing at the base looking back up is amazing.

Advertisement: