Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: MyAlafiaOneHourLoop  (Read 1735 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
MyAlafiaOneHourLoop
« on: December 19, 2006, 06:54:56 PM »
The Alafia Winter Solstice One Hour After Work Quick Ride Loop is as follows: ( may also be used as a Before Work In the Morning Quick Ride Loop)

Parking Lot - Ride all of North Creek exit and take bail-out to River Loop entrance. Enter River Loop where it says "No Horses"  and follow this trail to Franks Loop. Make a right and then a quick left and climb hill. This is the same  layout as the FSC race course. At top of hill veer to the left (skip Franks Loop) and head back to the front and the main trail. Follow main trail back to Horsehoe. Ride all of Horseshoe and Shelleys Loop.  Follow main trail back to Rock Garden. Ride all of Rock Garden including the hard option. Exit Rock Garden and turn left on main road. Follow main road to entrance to Bridges. Ride all of Bridges and the whoops section ( the ups and downs hilly section), follow main trail back to parking lot and do all of Rollercoaster including both hard options. Follow onto Moonscape. Do all of Moonscape including the climb at Four Palm Hill ( the really slick clay section when its wet) follow through and do hard option  (Doom Trail) and ride through rest of Moonscape. Skip back right corner, instead ride skinny ledge at base  of hills and exit towards the power line. Ride power line back to road and into parking lot.

This is 10.06 miles and I have it done twice the past week. Each time my average was 9.6mph.  This takes almost exactly 1 hour. Now that I have some data from these rides, I'm going to see if I can increase my average. I ride this non stop and usually dab only at the big log crossing the trail at the entrance to the hard option section on Moonscape ( Doom Trail). This is one of my objectives. Clean this difficult obstacle. I know two guys who clean it and I am determined to enter this elite group of riders who have mastered  this obstacle.  ;)

" Not this time, Lance"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: MyAlafiaOneHourLoop
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:03:09 PM »
Ok, I'm not down with some of the lingo here. What are the Horseshoe and Shelley's loop on rockgardent? And what is the 4 palm hill and doom section on moonscape? I ride out there all the time and have never heard these names used. Thanks.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 11:37:34 PM »
I wonder what that loop might be at night?  You might be able to do most of it except for the Moonscape stuff.  This Friday, Dec 22 is a night ride out there.  Check it out on the calendar page.

That's a tough loop.
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 07:00:28 AM »
If I'm not mistaken Frank's loop is right next to the exit of River loop to the right. You drop in at the top of that little hill and follow that around to the top of that little climb. At that point you can go to the left or right  with the left being the hardest. I thought that to the left was Frank's or is that Horseshoe with the technical ridge and the steep downhill hairpin turn (horseshoe)? I usually break at the four palm hill also (right at the climb at the start of the doom climb?) If that's right, it is a tough spot, As long as I make the climb up four palm hill I can usually get my front tire over the root there, but my back tire stops me even with a little bunny hop. Guess I'm just not carrying enough speed there. From ther I can clear the rest of Doom and almost all of Moonscape excluding that tall ridge climb up and to the left. Shelly's Loop is the the short technical section off to the north of the Bridges. If I'm not correct here let me know. Either way thats a tough loop Ellsrider, something I can work up to. Thanks for the goal bro.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 08:48:58 AM »
You have some of it right. Some of these names are my own nicknames  for little sections of the trails. I like to be able to identify areas of the trails so that if you are talking about riding and say something like so and so had a dirt facial you like to be able to know what section of the trail it happenend on.  I have litle nicknames  for a couple other sections but I know that nobody else knows what the heck i'm talking about. Four palm hill is on Moonscape just past the bail out. You know it from  the sticky clingy clay that occurs during the rain season. There are three palm trees growing out of the same root ball at the top of the hill and a fourth palm tree four feet away on top of this hill. A very steep drop followed  by a sweeping bend to the left continues you along Moonscape here and then you enter the benchcut.

Horseshoe is not part of RockGarden. Horseshoe is on the main trail leaving the parking lot, follow past Gatorback and when you come to the clump of trees the trail veers to the left, a slight downhill followed by a gradual climb  around a bend and then back  heading up hill. It  is shaped  like a Horseshoe, hence the name. Shelleys Loop is the trail that climbs into the woods at the end of Horseshoe and exits the woods at the same spot. There is a small fence that separates the two trails.

Franks Loop is what you said Ken. The small section that you described is known as the Pit? I think. Anyway, ride that section backwards. Instead of dropping in at thetop of the little hill, enter at the big climb at the other side. When you come off the River Loop Trail take a right, go about 50 feet and turn left again, the climb will be 100 feet in front of you.

On Moonscape, the doom trail is the hard option that goes to the right. There is a big log at the entrance when you turn right off the trail and up a small incline which  then continues on to a climb up some loose dirt.

I skip that ridge climb at the end of Moonscape, instead riding along the base. I almost killed myself on the last drop years ago and I'm skeered of that trail. Maybe one day.

Anyone else have any nicknames for trails sections?

P.S. do not ride the moonscape sections unless you are comfortable with the drops.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 08:53:09 AM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 09:03:39 AM »
Yeah,

My nicknames are as follows:

"The place that I did that really cool endo"
"The spot where I fell backwards on that climb"
"The spot where my buddy puked"
"The tree that my buddy hit, and left a mark"
"The climb that I can not (yet) do"
"The place I did that other really cool endo"   

I LOVE ALAFIA, AND I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!!!!

Gregg

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 04:36:04 PM »
Thats what I like about Moonscape is the drops and the technicality of it. A couple of the climbs I'm still coming up just a little short on but I keep trying. That little log at the entrance to Doom is starting to piss me off though, like I said I can get the front wheel over it's but the back wheel that hangs me up. The rest of Doom I can clean. I especially like the big drop at the end of the downhill part. The first time I rode that trail was when it was first cut in. Very rough and rooty with alot of the brush cuttings laying across the trail. Then I came to the top of the little drop and saw the Doom sign hanging from the trees, Oh-Oh. Almost crashed there because I was looking up at the sign and not where I was going. Recovered from that and carried too much speed into the narrow benchcut at the drop and missed the first small drop and tried to stop at the big one. I couldn't get uncliped and started to fall to the left over the drop and had no choice but to bunny hop and point the bike down. Luckily it all worked out! It's amazing what you can do sometimes when you least expect it. I also was behind some guys, think they were from AJ's, anyway the one guy was a good rider and gonzo'd the big drop and got in too hot , endoed on the way down, thus breaking his collarbone. It was a very nasty crash, had nightmares about that one for a while!

Ken   
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Advertisement: