Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bicycle camping  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Bicycle camping
« on: March 07, 2009, 09:29:53 PM »
Hey Karlos - or anyone else in the know.  How much weight of gear do you estimate for your "bicycle camping?" And will that be about what you will carry for the GD '09?  How do you handle details like cooking, cleanup, clean/dirty clothes on multiple day trips? Or any other unforseens on multiple day trips.

naked indian

Re: Bicycle camping
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 09:00:12 AM »
35 to 40 or less depending on ur bike. start weight. and yes thats probaly close to my gdr race ride weight fully loaded.  u buy food were u can. i if needed hand wash my clothes then dry it by the fire. on gdr u come across stores so u can restock often.  on more remote rides u plan better and carry a water filter and more food.  i cook using a tiny penny style stove no bigger than 1/4 of a soda can.  my pot is my cup and bowl. pretty cool stuff.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 09:11:59 PM »
35 to 40 or less depending on ur bike. start weight. and yes thats probaly close to my gdr race ride weight fully loaded.  u buy food were u can. i if needed hand wash my clothes then dry it by the fire. on gdr u come across stores so u can restock often.  on more remote rides u plan better and carry a water filter and more food.  i cook using a tiny penny style stove no bigger than 1/4 of a soda can.  my pot is my cup and bowl. pretty cool stuff.
Yeah, I once had plans for doing some lightweight backpacking, but life got in the way of that one...I should it back on the TO-DO-LIST...Anyway, some pretty cool choices for small stoves and lightweight gear.  Was wondering of your setup.  You use the hammock cover thing, so no tent? I was thinking areas where there aren't options for picking up gear along the way a BOB trailer or other packing system would work.
When I did the Hut To Hut trip from Teluride to Moab I carried about 35/40 lbs, and food and water and sleeping bag (we carried a bag insert) was at each hut.

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:36:35 AM »
Yeah, I once had plans for doing some lightweight backpacking, but life got in the way of that one...I should it back on the TO-DO-LIST...Anyway, some pretty cool choices for small stoves and lightweight gear.  Was wondering of your setup.  You use the hammock cover thing, so no tent? I was thinking areas where there aren't options for picking up gear along the way a BOB trailer or other packing system would work.
When I did the Hut To Hut trip from Teluride to Moab I carried about 35/40 lbs, and food and water and sleeping bag (we carried a bag insert) was at each hut.

Well build a kit, for bikepacking.  I am planning a guided trip through the ONF in april and would love for you to join.  Lots of fun lots of great riding, lots of beauty.

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 12:35:13 PM »
Hi Garry
 I also are looking into bikepacking I went to hammock forum and asked a lot of questions I went with the warbonnet blackbird it looks like most of the hangers use the warbonnet its made by this guy named Brandon mine is just about done there is about a two week turn around and the price is good you can take a look at them @ Warbonnet Outdoors
  Bill
PS why is my forum page all white no pics or graphics

naked indian

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »
Hi Garry
 I also are looking into bikepacking I went to hammock forum and asked a lot of questions I went with the warbonnet blackbird it looks like most of the hangers use the warbonnet its made by this guy named Brandon mine is just about done there is about a two week turn around and the price is good you can take a look at them @ Warbonnet Outdoors
  Bill
PS why is my forum page all white no pics or graphics

Hit refresh. I have been using the henessey hammock but any good hammock with a good included fly and mosquito netting is almost perfect.  As well as if you are above the ridgeline the hennessey hammock can be used as a bivy.  very versatile.  Get your kits together in April we take a fun 2 day trip through the woods!

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 01:34:30 PM »
Would love to do that trip. But doing a shakedown hike for the AT trip I have coming up. Plenty of lightweight gear out there as I have been researching it lately. I belive most of my backpack stuff will work fine for the bike also. Will be interested in going another time.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

naked indian

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 01:40:11 PM »
Would love to do that trip. But doing a shakedown hike for the AT trip I have coming up. Plenty of lightweight gear out there as I have been researching it lately. I belive most of my backpack stuff will work fine for the bike also. Will be interested in going another time.

Well you got plenty o training and testing grounds out there in the ONF.

Dan hoping you do come out sometime, there is alot of untapped beauty out there to be hold.

Paint, saw them warbonnets, looks similar to what I got, and he is a heck of a character, let me know how it works for ya.  did your boy get one too?

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 03:09:51 PM »
NI
 Did the refresh thing did not work its doing it at work and at home.
 Kevin did not get his hammock yet.
 Two days in ONF sounds great..

Advertisement: