Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Heads Up!  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Heads Up!
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:27:44 AM »
ONE WAY TRAILS COMING TO SOME SINGLE TRACK NEAR YOU!

Since we have revamped Boyette with the new trails in the back, the place has gained in popularity.  This is good in one sense because it helps keep the trails packed down, and goes a long way in establishing mountain biking as a popular sport and recreation enjoyed in the area.

Bad in the sense that it means we've discovered more maintenance in some areas with increased traffic, and trails traditionally enjoyed as we just zoom along are now head-ons waiting to happen.  So this Spring we will be looking at making some safety changes which will mean some of the original trails will be turned into one-way trails, and some erosion and soft edges will require a slightly wider base.

First off SST has been flagged for a separate one-way trail that we are awaiting approval to cut in, so watch for the announcement to call volunteers and offer of your time to come out and help make that a reality.  We would also like to address the poor sandy conditions on a couple of the turns on that trail.  There again - we NEED you volunteers to come out and help make that happen.  Everyone - you included - benefits from this.  We basically have 4900 acres of free recreation space for us to all enjoy at the Balm-Boyette Nature Scrub Preserve, so what's a little giving of your time to make something better that you use on a regular basis?

As we move into this new phase with Boyette there will be a systematic directional flow of the trails.  Signs will be put up alerting you to "ENTRANCE" and "EXIT ONLY."  It may be different from what you have been used to riding out there, but once you get used to it we're sure you will agree that it is better than before.

We look forward to seeing you on the volunteer crews and trails.

Thanks.

Garry Rosseter
SWAMP Club President
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:47:50 AM by Garry »

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Heads Up!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:14:38 AM »
I think this is going to be an outstanding change that will make the trails more enjoyable!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 12:24:56 PM »
Absolutely. I almost plowed into someone on a blind turn while riding Golf Cart a few weeks ago. Nobody's fault.. just a case of Mo people, Mo problems. :D

Offline stumpy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog 29er
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:00:23 PM »
I was on the fence about making one-way trails at Boyette, but after a head-on on Lochness this evening I'm convinced. Let's get those signs up sooner than later! Luckily we were both ok as well as our bikes, but it was pretty much unavoidable. BTW, the trails out there are in AWESOME shape right now!

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:08:27 PM »
I was on the fence about making one-way trails at Boyette, but after a head-on on Lochness this evening I'm convinced. Let's get those signs up sooner than later! Luckily we were both ok as well as our bikes, but it was pretty much unavoidable. BTW, the trails out there are in AWESOME shape right now!
I was not so certain that I wanted to do this either as I like many of those trails in both directions.  But after a few head-ons myself and a broken finger I have been more and more inclined to push this through. I have been working a good way to make it make sense and then put the signs up.  I think it will take a couple of rides to get used to, but all in all it should make for a great way to experience the trail system.  I will need help from the masses on a project or two to make it work.  So if anyone has time to help shoot me some days that are available to you and we'll try to get a work crew together to make it easier.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:11:38 PM »
By the way - this Saturday is the scheduled workday.  ;D

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 08:11:57 AM »
Great idea.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 08:27:47 AM »
is golf cart on the one way chopping block? If it is which way will it run? i love the way it rides from gator pit to abyss and would hate to lose that flow... :(

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 08:55:03 AM »
It looks like going from GP to Canyon makes more sense, so yes, that would be it.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 09:28:16 AM »
sweet! sounds like a plan... 8)

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 10:36:35 AM »
We always hang a left at the double track and ride Lochness to Gator Pit and then take Golf Cart/Canyon out to the Abyss.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 10:52:02 AM »
We always hang a left at the double track and ride Lochness to Gator Pit and then take Golf Cart/Canyon out to the Abyss.

That's the way we always go also, seems to flow better that way to me also.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »
A helicopter landing pad in there would be great too for my impending broken neck.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Advertisement: